Moms and Maids

Mom Issues

So I live in Tennessee and my mom lives in Michigan. We don't see each other hardly at all because of the distance and I feel like me and my wedding are becoming an out of sight out of mind type ordeal. She has a lot of things going on at work right now, and I don't think they are going to slow down at all before the wedding. I know this is kinda selfish but I feel like she doesn't care a lot about me or the wedding, and she is more concerned with my littlier sister (who's 16) than she is about me. It doesn't help either that she has the worst memory and she can't picture anything in her head. Also because she never brings up the wedding or asks about anything I hate calling with questions or concerns because I feel like I am just talking about myself. Oh and my MOH lives even further away and my FI is completeing his Masters Degree and is absoultely no help. I feel like I am missing out on the whole wedding experience and so is she. Will things get better when we get close to the wedding? Has anyone else run into this problem? The date is August 4

Re: Mom Issues

• I wish I could tell you it will get better when the wedding gets closer but honestly it may not. Some people just don't get excited about weddings. People will tell you that no one is more excited about your wedding than you are. Once you realize this you can move on and make the best out of the situation. Is there a girlfriend close to you that you can talk to? Try to enjoy the planning process and don't expect anyone to change just because you are getting married. Best of luck!
  • PP has good advice. I'm sorry that your mom isn't more excited, but you have to remember the world doesn't stop because you're getting married. I know you're not asking her to worship you, but just try to remember your sister is still a child and your mom is more responsible for her right now, whereas you are an adult. She is still your mom though, so I get why you feel a little left out. 

I would just call her and make a point to talk about NWR things. Some people get "wedding-ed" out quickly. She may get more excited as the date approaches as well. 

Good luck! 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Thanks guys for the nice words. I really hope she will get more excited, and my at my shower it will actually hit her that it is coming up soon. Honestly now I'm just trying to make it the coolest most creative wedding I can think of so when the day actually comes around she will see how amazing it is, and how much work actually went into planning it all. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mom-issues-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:71a9895b-14bc-40d6-a2f2-08634cf0e2fbPost:78158312-21b6-4048-81bb-9b432e36a83e">Mom Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I live in Tennessee and my mom lives in Michigan. We don't see each other hardly at all because of the distance and I feel like me and my wedding are becoming an out of sight out of mind type ordeal. She has a lot of things going on at work right now, and I don't think they are going to slow down at all before the wedding. I know this is kinda selfish but I feel like she doesn't care a lot about me or the wedding, and <strong>she is more concerned with my littlier sister (who's 16) than she is about me.</strong> It doesn't help either that she has the worst memory and she can't picture anything in her head. Also because she never brings up the wedding or asks about anything I hate calling with questions or concerns because I feel like I am just talking about myself. Oh and my MOH lives even further away and my FI is completeing his Masters Degree and is absoultely no help. I feel like I am missing out on the whole wedding experience and so is she. Will things get better when we get close to the wedding? Has anyone else run into this problem? The date is August 4
    Posted by ElyseE25[/QUOTE]

She's more concerned with the minor for whom she is legally responsible than with her adult daughter who lives two states away? How dare she.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I agree with pps. Some women just are not into weddings, as hard as it is for those of us who love them to believe sometimes =) 

If you need help or need to bounce ideas off of people, you are at the right place! If you have not connected with your month board yet, do so! Everyone on there will be getting married the same month and it is great to plan together. I got married in July and lots of us on the July board got so close that we still come on to chat. I would bet money that you find someone on there to talk wedding plans with.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards