Wedding Party

Asking the bridal party

Any thoughts on creative ways to ask people to be in the wedding party?

Re: Asking the bridal party

• Just ask them over the phone and be personal about it.  If they are your closest friends you wouldn't have a problem asking them and they probably already have an idea you will ask them.  Also, don't ask anyone until at least 9 months or so before the wedding
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Why must it be creative?  I'd rather be genuine than creative, personally.  For me that meant asking my OOT BMs over the phone.  I've been asked over the phone, casually over lunch, and via email.  Felt honored every time.  Remember every single instance.

Remember that not everything wedding-related needs to be a ceremony in and of itself and that, for the BMs, the honor is in BEING asked, not in HOW they are asked.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • This question comes up several times a week.  So I'm going to give you the answer that I give several times a week.  But I do have to ask:  Your bio says you were married 6 weeks ago.  I assume that's not true?

Just ask them.  The honor is in BEING asked, not in HOW you're asked.  Will your friends be any more excited by being given a cookie shaped like a bridesmaid dress than they will with a personal phone call?

You're (maybe) at the start of your planning.  The wedding industry is going to do their best in the coming months to convince you that everything about your wedding has to be larger than life, as well as creative, clever, unique, one-of-a-kind, special, and memorable, or your wedding will not be successful.  And that's just not true.  Your wedding will be special, because it's yours.

Don't fall into the trap of spending money on things that just aren't necessary.  Ask your friends.  They'll be thrilled.  Good luck.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • saraknsarakn member
    First Anniversary First Comment

When I originally signed up with The Knot we didn't have our date set and then I never updated my info.  I actually got married a year ago.  Have to say it was the most perfect beautiful wedding ever, but everyone who does their wedding their way would say the same thing!

I was asked by someone else how to be creative in asking friends/family to be in their wedding party because she's usually very creative and thinks others are expecting it of her but she's haivng a mind blank on ideas.  I didn't have any attendants so I wasn't the best person to ask, but since I got great ideas off here for my wedding I thought I'd extend the question out to The Knot world.

• Some people do things with cookies or gifts.

But I'm a fan of just being direct.
  • I tend to to think that if you can't come up with your own creative idea for asking your BMs, it's a sign.  It's most meaningful when it comes from the heart, whatever it is.  People won't be horribly disappointed if she doesn't ask in some creative way--they'll be thrilled to be asked.  Trust me on that one.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_asking-bridal-party-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:b7fdff2b-c033-4a85-ba98-2a6eeb2c5891Post:3828dc3b-a34c-4cc8-b8b9-f94295e624d5">Re: Asking the bridal party</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tend to to think that if you can't come up with your own creative idea for asking your BMs, it's a sign.  It's most meaningful when it comes from the heart, whatever it is. 
    Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]
    Ditto this.  It's not really a genuine, heartfelt gesture if someone else came up with it.

I just asked mine.  I actually don't think I technically asked my sisters, in our family it was just understood that they'd be bridesmaids.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • My BFF and I are getting married within about 6 months of each other.  We more or less just started talking to each other about the dresses.  We both knew that would be in each others wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards