Moms and Maids

MOH going broke - do I have to get gifts?

My bff is getting married, and I am the MOH.  I didn't really know what I was getting myself into, especially in terms of expenses.  I am a student, and I'm living on loans.  I knew I would have to buy a dress, but I didn't realize how expensive it would be to throw a shower and bachelorette party and that both of these things were my sole responsibility.

My question is, on top of all this, do I also have to get the bride gifts for the shower and the wedding?  I have spent so much on this wedding already.  Please provide some insight!

Re: MOH going broke - do I have to get gifts?

• edited December 2011
    I'm a bride but what my MOH is doing is for the shower she is splitting all cost with my grandam and my mother. And for the bach party she is halfing the hotel room and spa day with my mom and everyone else is paying for their own stuff like nails done massages and stuff. For the shower gift i dont know, but when my sister in law got married to my brother all the bridemaids split the cost of a Waterford Picture Frame for the bride.
    Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I'd try to go in on a gift with the rest of the bridesmaids for the shower.  I understand how expensive it can be (been there before).  Have you considered splitting the costs of the shower and bach party with the rest of the bridesmaids?  I don't think its really fair for it to fall on your shoulders alone.  But if you do see if they can help out, just try to find out what they're comfortable contributing before making any definitive plans.  That way you won't be stuck with more than you can afford.

If my MOH didnt' give me a gift, I don't think I would be upset with her or anything.  She totally rocks (and it seems like you're going above and beyond too) and I'm just happy that she is there to celebrate with me.  I'm sure that your friend would feel the same.
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are not required to do anything but buy the dress.  Please don't feel pressure to throw a bach party or shower or do anything else that you really can't afford.

If she's a true friend she would have asked you to be her MOH because you are a closest friend; not for what you can do for her.

Do and plan what you can afford and don't do what you can't.  It would be silly to go into debt for someone else's wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Who told you that the shower and bachelorette are your sole responsibility? They were wrong.
    If you are determined to give a shower, ask the other BMs if they are able to help with $ or maybe each of you could prepare a dish for the table. See if anyone can offer the use of their home for the shower. Let the bride's mom know that you would welcome help. Keep the guest list very small.
    You do not have to buy a gift on top of everything else. The shower IS a gift. But if the BMs want to chip in, that would be very generous, but unnecessary.

• edited December 2011
    I'm a bride and of course I would Love presents from my MOH and Bridesmaids, who wouldn't want more presents to open. But the shower and bachlorette party is plenty of a gift. Don't worry to much about it.
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was also a MOH in your position.  I told my friend straight up that I could not afford to throw a shower or an elaborate bachelorette party.  I even told her that if she was not okay with that, then I would be a guest.

She told me I was crazy for even thinking that she wouldn't want me in the wedding because I couldn't do those things!

Her mom threw the shower - I made it a point to travel to CT for it.  I put together an informal weekend for the bridesmaids for her bachelorette party.  We all brought wine and slept over at her apartment slumber party style.  It wasn't expensive and the bride was happy.

Talk to your friend honestly about your situation.  If she doesn't understand, then you have a friend problem, not a wedding/MOH problem.
  • MsSiriusMsSirius member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your not required to throw a shower or a bachlorette party. All your really required to buy is your dress. My older sister is my MOH and is pregnant with her 2nc child. I could never expect her to pay for a shower.

Try sitting down and talking to your friend about you financial sitiuation. If she truly is your friend she will understand. But if you still want to throw a shower and bachlorette party talk to the other BM and see if they are willing to chip in and if so how much.
  • edited December 2011
    My MOH is not throwing any showers or bach party. I am totally. Just being supportive is enough. That means the world. I would not worry about a gift, you are doing enough
  • KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well said, duckie and MairePoppy.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • edited December 2011
    My daughter's MOH and Bridesmaids were young and broke also...and I love them like they were my own girls.  So, I said the shower could be at my home and I provided the food.  The MOH sent the invitations, planned the games, took the RSVP's and played hostess.  These girls are young with tiny apartments, new careers, and college debt still hanging over.  Why do brides assume that making two big parties the "responsibility" of this poor girl is beyond me.

Also, a bachelorette party does not have to be a giantly expensive getaway to be memorable.  Not many people at this moment in this country can justify all of that. 

My daughter was in a wedding where she had to fly and stay in a hotel, buy a dress, shoes, mani, pedi, hair, makeup.  She spent 1,000 dollars and had to take 2 days off work to be at the rehearsal dinner and wedding.  She could not come to the shower and bachelorette because of the distance, but she contributed to each of them.  She also bought a shower and wedding gift.  By the time she was done, she spent 1500 dollars.  It is TOO MUCH...and brides really need to think through what they are asking their friends and family to do in dollar amounts so that they can have "their day".
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    I was in a similar spot, except I was one of three in the entire wedding party (so we had to pay for everything) and the bride was only a girl I had known 1 year. But, I guess she didn't have any other friends, so she asked me to be a BM! I felt bad for her, so I agreed. Anyhow, I didn't get her a shower gift... and I got her a very moderately priced wedding gift. I dont' even think she noticed as there were so many other gifts. Don't sweat it.
  • edited December 2011
    I saw on TV once that the average amount spent per bridesmaid is like $1200.  I don't think you should break the bank at all, and the bride needs to be sensitive to the situation of her party, but I do think that these are "unwritten obligations."  

You can't request a specific type of bash, but even if it is wine and cheese in the wedding suite, I think that you should get at least a shower OR a bachelorette party.  Most women would be disappointed to not have one.  If you can't at least throw in $20 for a potluck dinner (especially when everyone else is contributing), then rethink your ability to be a part of the wedding party.

I definitely understand financial constraints.  I'm covering as much as I can for my girls (lodging for 2 of 3 nights, transportation, hair/nails/makeup) and I instructed all of them that they did NOT have to come to my shower (we're all out of town).  I did request that everyone who could make it come to my bachelorette party, and we'll have a ball in the bridal suite the night before.  I understand that everyone can't make it, but geez, just to not do anything seems kinda sad to me.

I would rather people be present at things than to get a gift.

• KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]I saw on TV once that the average amount spent per bridesmaid is like $1200. 
    Posted by nechi194[/QUOTE]

WHAT???  The average bride does NOT spend 1200 on gifts for each BM.  What show did you see that on?

1200 on each girl, times maybe 4 girls is more than most people have to spend on their ENTIRE wedding.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think she's saying that bridesmaids should expect to spend about $1200 each.  Which is equally insane.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards