Ohio-Cincinnati

major alterations on a wedding gown?

My mother's wedding gown is very special and she'd love to have me wear it down the aisle. I feel the sentiment is lovely, and it's got a very cool story behind it- but I'm wondering how much it would cost to do some fairly major alterations (remove lace sleeves and that kind of thing...) but nothing major to the structure of the dress. Has anyone done this to an older gown?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: major alterations on a wedding gown?

• edited December 2011
    This is exactly what I want to do!  But with a vintage gown I purchased off Ebay.  And my alterations would be even more intense (removing sleeves, adding straps, reworking bodice).  I contacted Connie Miller Designs about my dress over email and sent her some pictures and she told me she thought it would be very do-able and suggested I come up to her studio so she could give me an estimate.

Here's her website:
    http://www.personalsewing.com/

And her email address:
    cmiller3@cinci.rr.com

Given that your alterations are pretty minor, you might even be able to get that done at any local tailor for a pretty low price.  I know someone who purchased a wedding dress and then their wedding kept getting put on hold and in the process they had a baby and gained a bit of weight so they needed their dress made up a size.  She had extra material added to the back and you couldn't even tell.  She had that done at Rip N Stich on Mall Rd in Florence (NKY).  In total it only cost about $100 and that included the material and everything.  She was very pleased!
  • afloggieafloggie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would get in touch with Tony King
  • edited December 2011
    I would not call Tony King. Heard some bad things about him. Call around to a bunch of places and talk to them first and see if they will even touch it. Check out SewSpecial.biz
  • afloggieafloggie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_major-alterations-wedding-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:9d65cc71-fda4-4486-87fc-9baaaadf54adPost:91ec290a-d4f6-45f4-a4e6-7e4221130f90">Re: major alterations on a wedding gown?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would not call Tony King. Heard some bad things about him. Call around to a bunch of places and talk to them first and see if they will even touch it. Check out SewSpecial.biz
    Posted by kimandbillbike[/QUOTE]
    Tony King was amazing for me to work with. He has been very nice to me and my entire family/bridal party who has been to my appointments. He has been in business for over 30 years and is very knowledgable. I would not call Rip N Stich or Zeny Meek.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for all of your thoughtful replies!! I will probably contact both vendors mentioned and see who I'm most comfortable with. I've heard great things about Tony King on these boards. Thanks again, this is seeming more doable now :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards