Registry and Gift Forum

Eek! We don't know what to register for!

My FI and I have lived together for over 3 years, and we bought a house last year. So we have a lot of stuff a couple would normally register for. We started a registry at Target and Kohls for items we know we need (new bath towels and stuff for the bathroom; additional serving items to match our dishes; silverware; new quilt for the bed and sheets). But at each, the registry prints out to be only about 2 pages (if that). My MOH is hosting a shower in September for about 70 and the wedding list is at 250. Has anyone ever run into this situation? What did you do? 

I'm even afraid to tell my close family that we've finally registered because I know they'll start shopping and then there won't be anything left in August when the shower invites go out! 

Re: Eek! We don't know what to register for!

• What about grilling supplies? Luggage? Upgrade some thing? Artwork? Kitchen gadgets you might not have? If you're doing target you could do some electronics like a Wii or surround sound system. I've seen people register for camping equipment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh yea, we registered in September and our wedding is in July, my family all asked where we were registered, but nothing really started disappearing until invites for my shower went out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One of FI's cousins registered at REI since they camp a lot, and every single thing from their registry was purchased. Apparently people loved the idea! Is there another hobby that you share?
  • jma202jma202 member
    First Comment
    Those are all great suggestions.... but sadly (or not sadly I guess since we were able to already purchase stuff for ourselves); we already have a ton of camping supplies and hiking things, and luggage. I registered for the additional kitchen gadgets we need and the silverware is an upgrade. Already have gaming systems, but the sound system is a good idea!! I'll definately look at the one.
    I do like the REI thought, even though we have a bunch of camping stuff, it might be worth a stop there!
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Do you have things that don't match that would be nice to have match?  We're in a similar situation, so we've registered for wine glasses from the same set, bar accessories, table linens, as well as crystal, china, etc. that we probably wouldn't have registered for if we needed a lot of necessities.  

Are the people you inviting big actual gift givers?  Because if they're okay with giving cash and gift cards, just make a small registry and most people will go that route.  Just make sure you have enough gifts to cover the registry.
  • I would probably take the opportunity to upgrade. You mentioned that you have most of the everyday stuff, but what about fine china or fancier things that most people don't use on a daily basis, but would use and appreciate later on (like when you have a family or if you want to have a dinner party or entertain for Thanksgiving or Christmas). A nice china pattern, crystal stemware, seasonal dishes, etc. You could also upgrade your linens for your room or a guest room. Or register for the KitchenAid mixer (if you don't already have one) and its attachments.

But don't feel pressured to create a registry filled with things you don't really want or need just for the sole purpose of having one. If you are satisfied with your registry the way it is, I would just leave it like that. If it completes early or people don't want to get anything left on it, it's not a big deal. The people who want to give a gift, but can't find anything on the registry that they want to give still have plenty of options such as a gift card, cash, or an off-registry item.
  • This probably sounds completely crazy, but I found it helpful to look at random people's registries to see what they registered for. I used the wedding channel registry finder and put in common names like "Anne Smith" and "Sarah Cohen" and looked through a few registries. You might find it especially helpful to do this on the amazon.com registry site, as people using amazon may have registered for more 'unconventional' items. 
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_eek-we-dont-know-what-to-register-for?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:80e07e14-c3c2-4263-91e6-8408a8c45b37Post:16528469-73e3-49d6-946c-e6427722920e">Re: Eek! We don't know what to register for!</a>:
    [QUOTE]T<strong>his probably sounds completely crazy, but I found it helpful to look at random people's registries to see what they registered for. </strong>I used the wedding channel registry finder and put in common names like "Anne Smith" and "Sarah Cohen" and looked through a few registries. You might find it especially helpful to do this on the amazon.com registry site, as people using amazon may have registered for more 'unconventional' items. 
    Posted by angryangry[/QUOTE]

<div>I did this too at the beginning, it helped a lot.  Most sites only require you to put in so many letters from the person's first and last name.  I started with my own, and put in the minimum numbers and then did FI's until I felt like I had looked at enough to get ideas.</div>
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_eek-we-dont-know-what-to-register-for?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:80e07e14-c3c2-4263-91e6-8408a8c45b37Post:16528469-73e3-49d6-946c-e6427722920e">Re: Eek! We don't know what to register for!</a>:
    [QUOTE]This probably sounds completely crazy, but I found it helpful to look at random people's registries to see what they registered for. I used the wedding channel registry finder and put in common names like "Anne Smith" and "Sarah Cohen" and looked through a few registries. You might find it especially helpful to do this on the amazon.com registry site, as people using amazon may have registered for more 'unconventional' items. 

<div>Not crazy - I did this too!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you're lucky to have this problem LOL.  If you don't NEED anything else, don't register just to register.  Or register for non-tradtional things if you feel the people in your circle won't mind.  Have fun!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • jma202jma202 member
    First Comment
    Thanks all! I think I'm feeling better about this whole registry thing! We're going to leave it as we have it now, with the things we need and keep it small. We are lucky indeed =)
  • Hmm do you need any organizing items? New throw pillows? Bed things for when guest visit? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_eek-we-dont-know-what-to-register-for?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:80e07e14-c3c2-4263-91e6-8408a8c45b37Post:16528469-73e3-49d6-946c-e6427722920e">Re: Eek! We don't know what to register for!</a>:
    [QUOTE]This probably sounds completely crazy, but I found it helpful to look at random people's registries to see what they registered for. I used the wedding channel registry finder and put in common names like "Anne Smith" and "Sarah Cohen" and looked through a few registries. You might find it especially helpful to do this on the amazon.com registry site, as people using amazon may have registered for more 'unconventional' items. 

I did this for my Amazon registry. It lets you took at other couples' registries that have similar items as yours, the same month, the same area of the country, it was fantastic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I read some helpful info on the Vera Wang on Weddings app all about registering, you should check it out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards