Destination Weddings Discussions

Making it legal...

Ok --- With 2 weeks left to go, you'd think I'd have this figured out.

So I sent all out documentation down to our WC in Jamaica for our marriage license. Now what happens? I know that we will be legally recognized back home, but what do I have to do to make that happen?

It says we will receive our marriage certificate three to four months after the wedding day? What does that mean --- that we can't change our status back home, or my name for that manner, until three to four months from now?

Sorry if this is a silly question...

TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Making it legal...

• thanks for asking...i have the same questions but i keep putting it off until it gets closer...even though im only like a month away!!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Well, you might want to call your local JP to ask that question. I researched this question and found they may take your marriage license in English to start the process change name etc process.

However, legally your marriage license will only be valid in the states once its apollisted which takes approximately 2-4 months.

I believe this is where you could get divorced etc without going back to Jamaica.
    Harper Grace 8.31.12
    ?imageimage

• DiamondDaniDiamondDani member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    I found this when I was searching....

"The Jamaica Marriage License is recognized throughout the world as a legal marriage license. When you receive your (2) certified copies of your marriage license (after your wedding) from either the Resort or from our offices, you may use this license to change your social security, bank accounts, wills and insurance policies, credit cards, driver licenses, automobile insurance, mortgages, Internal Revenue Service, passport and voter’s registration – just to name a few.

Once you have received your marriage certificate, you can register at your local courthouse (or take whatever steps are necessary to register the marriage in your home state)"

So to me, it sounds like you may be able to change your name, drivers license, etc with the marriage license copy you get right after your wedding. But then you have to wait until you get your actual marriage certificate (can take months I've heard) to then register your marriage.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You don't actually have to do anything with the license - i.e. file it or send it in.  You just need a copy of it for certain things.  In Ohio, you need it to change your Social Security info and DMV info.  You may have to wait until you get the certificate in the mail...  I would call the DMV and find out if you actually need it.  Also, I sent a copy of the certificate to my insurer to get DH on my insurance, but I found out that they didn't actually need a copy. 
  • My FI and I are getting married at Couples Tower Isle and I had the same concern. In the FAQ's it statesa that we receive a temporary license, however, I wont be able to change my name with it:

Will I be able to change my name with the temporary license?

-- />No, this temporary license will not permit you to change your name, file taxes, etc. Please check with your local courthouse to find the specific requirements for your area.

I'm hoping that our state will allow us .. I don't want to wait 3-4 months to have his last name (besides on facebook! =P)

Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards