New Jersey

NJ Reception Halls (not too far from NYC)

Hi Ladies,

I'm a NYC bride but am contemplating looking at places in NJ to get married; i'd love to have NYC views and stay as close to the NJ/NY border as possible.  But not being that familar with the area i'm not too sure where to even start to look.  I was wondering if any of you could suggest reasonably prices reception halls not too far (30-40 minutes) from the NY tunnels or bridges.

Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: NJ Reception Halls (not too far from NYC)

• edited December 2011
    What is your budget pp? That will help people give better suggestions.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about Bubby's in Brooklyn?
  • leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is the Jersey City Hyatt - very nice on the river with City views.  Liberty house, which has unbeleivable City views at Liberty State Park.  I beleive their prices start at $185 pp for an evening reception.

You can actually having a wedding at the liberty science center - again, awesome views but I beleive it is very pricey.  You must rent it out and then hire caterers.

There is another place in Jersey CIty that just recently opened this summer.  I think its called Michael Anthony's - in the newport area. Its very nice.  They have a large reception room that I assume they are using for events. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for your fast responses!!

$185 is way out of my budget; trying to keep things at about $100pp.  I'd be willing to go further away from the water but still no further than 45 minutes out of NYC if that would mean the price would be lower.
  • edited December 2011
    The Chart House in Weehawken
  • edited December 2011
    What is your minimum?
    What time of year?
    is the $100 before or after tax & gratuity?

NYC views for $100 will most likely not be possible.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_nj-reception-halls-not-far-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:66fb1a86-6d84-4ae7-8d34-dd9d8743a892Post:e17fbe36-a040-418e-a074-190d4a7dce30">Re: NJ Reception Halls (not too far from NYC)</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Chart House in Weehawken
    Posted by rlb81[/QUOTE]

A co-worker of mine was married there and suggested this as well.  I have been e-mailing with their banquet manager.

Thanks for the suggestion-i'll try to take FH out there one weekend to look at it.
  • DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try Nicotra's Ballroom in Staten Island.  I got married there and absolutely loved it! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    When I called Chart House *I think*  it was a minimum of $30,000 so it depends on the number of people if it is worth it.
  • edited December 2011
    How many people?

Highlawn Pavilion has fews of the Manhatten Skyline.  It's in West Orange. There's tons of places in West Orange.

I had my reception at the Atrium (in W. Orange) and it was fabulous! LOTS for your money.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The Newark Club, it does have NYC skyline views.  They do have different price points.
  • Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Newark Club is a great idea and more affordable then others mentioned above I believe.
  • edited December 2011
    A vote for the Highlawn AND The Newark Club here... they are both great... what about Arthurs Landing is that still there... I think weehawken right
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_nj-reception-halls-not-far-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:66fb1a86-6d84-4ae7-8d34-dd9d8743a892Post:5fa822b0-2b84-47f5-ba20-5f4920fd6b78">Re: NJ Reception Halls (not too far from NYC)</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is your minimum? What time of year? is the $100 before or after tax & gratuity? NYC views for $100 will most likely not be possible.
    Posted by caketime[/QUOTE]

I know; NYC views aren't a requirement they'd be nice; but i'm willing to look into places that just have beautiful sites even without the view.  My main issue is proximity to NY.  Can't really go further than 45 minutes out from the city.
  • edited December 2011
    There is also Frank's Waterside in Union City I think.
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding at Seabras Armory in Perth Amboy and thought it was wonderful.  The water view was so beautiful.
  • edited December 2011
    Arthurs Landing is closed. .  Chart House would be out of your budget on a saturday for sure.  It was close to 200 dollars a person.  Friday is not much better.  Newark Club was also around 185 on a saturday night, but that was in September. Not sure what month you are getting married, but they might have a better price. 

Try IL Villaggio in Carlstadt as you can get good deals and it's 15 minutes from manhattan as my husband's family is from LI and traveled there.

there is also Frank's Waterside in edgewater.  Try the Manor as well
  • LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Liberty House.

See if you can stretch your budget to more like $125 to $150 per head (inc. tax) and you will get a LOT more for your money.

Go to a grocery store in NJ and buy a copy of NJ Bride.  They put a list of reception venues in the back by county and then you can start doing web research followed by calling places and going to see them.

Try the Manor in West Orange.  One of the best places for your money in my opinion.
  • gina1976gina1976 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try The Empire Club they are in you budget and 10 minutes  away from NYC
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards