New Jersey

validity of wedding wire reviews

I was writing my DJ's review last night on wedding wire and I did a general search for DJ's around my zip-code and I found it odd that all the DJs that popped up had all 5 STAR reviews!!  Do vendors get to approve reviews before the review is posted?

Re: validity of wedding wire reviews

• smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really would like to know that. There were some TERRIBLE vendors we met with who had 5 stars on wedding wire. Very good question.

As a side note, if you do a certain # of reviews on wedding wire as a bride you get some special promotion. I opted for the Lulu photo book and I was happy with the results. Very similiar to Shutterfly and it was free!
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    On wedding wire you can't post a review until after your wedding, Remember, most reviews are going to be either glowing or very negative and many people have VERY different opinions on what they wanted. Take each with a grain of salt .
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    That is not the only place that I would look for reviews, so I take them all with a grain of salt.    There are several sites where you can get reviews and when I was looking for vendors I scoured the internet for reviews.   Always check the Better Busines Bureau for any negative information as well.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_validity-of-wedding-wire-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:721a9b19-481a-4f0a-a95b-3388e52d0649Post:213933dd-e9a2-44ef-963a-64401b4dbe3e">Re: validity of wedding wire reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is not the only place that I would look for reviews, so I take them all with a grain of salt.    There are several sites where you can get reviews and when I was looking for vendors I scoured the internet for reviews.   Always check the Better Busines Bureau for any negative information as well.
    Posted by goaliegirl[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely agree on checking with the BBB as well.  Vendors can always write fake positive reviews of themselves so it's not always accurate.  As mentioned above, you will sometimes see awful vendors with 5 star ratings...suspicious!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KarKarnjKarKarnj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have seen some with bad reviews.
  • edited December 2011
    with the BBB not all business show up there. Is that something that should worry me? Or is it more if there havent been any reports, etc they wouldnt show up? Im not too worried since I am a business owner and my business doesnt show up in the BBB, but just wondering.
  • edited December 2011
    the validity is this...some people have ghosts who write fake reviews. however, some of them are really genuine. i have heard of brides bashing vendors on fake dates and with fake names just to get back at them. so yes, they should be taken with a grain of salt.
  • edited December 2011
    My understanding with WeddingWire reviews is that if a vendor gets a negative review, it won't be posted on the site immediately - WW would have to vet the reviewer.... something it wouldn't do with an A++++++++++++++++++++++++++ review.

Also, if a negative review does make it onto the site, the vendor can contact WW to have the offending review removed.

Of course, also skewing the reviews is the fact that many brides tend to think that their vendors were the best ever - I know a bride who used  a colleague who "takes pictures" (he doesn't have a photography business and never shot a wedding before). She thought he was the greatest photographer ever and tried to make me book him, but I'm sure most of you would agree with me that he was sh!t on a stick.

I do love WeddingWire's budget tool and wed-site hosting, and I do think the reviews portion of the site has validity as a sort of white pages of wedding vendors (after all, there are more out there than what posters here recommend repeatedly). But don't take WW reviews as gospel, and just use the listed vendors as a starting point.
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_validity-of-wedding-wire-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:721a9b19-481a-4f0a-a95b-3388e52d0649Post:ff545eff-9441-47bb-85aa-9678c01a47c4">Re: validity of wedding wire reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]with the BBB not all business show up there. Is that something that should worry me? Or is it more if there havent been any reports, etc they wouldnt show up? Im not too worried since I am a business owner and my business doesnt show up in the BBB, but just wondering.
    Posted by gymchick05[/QUOTE]

If there has been complaints against a particular business it will show up on the BBB site.   I don't believe every business will be on there unless they have some complaints.

I have actually seen many negative reviews on wedding wire.    In fact just the other day when someone posted about the photographer not returning calls, etc....I looked them up on wedding wire and other review sites and found plenty of negative reviews, including the BBB.   So, if a vendor is really bad, there will be negative reviews.
  • Kim84mKim84m member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    vendors can not remove negative reviews about them on wedding wire,  they can only respond to them.  the only way for them to have the reviews removed is to prove that it wasn't actually written by a client.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards