Wedding Etiquette Forum

Tipping Invitation Designer

I ordered invitations from a woman that I found online who owns her own design company. She was great and the invites were finished and mailed last week so I should be getting them any day now. I paid through paypal but it's not like there was a gratuity line or anything. Is it normal to tip? If so, the normal 15-20%?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tipping Invitation Designer

• I don't think so.   It's not someone I would like to tip.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I sent her an email with some questions after I paid the invoice and she was kind of short with me which is the complete opposite of how she acted while still working on the invites. I could be overthinking this but kind of got so I didn't know what the proper tipping etiquette was.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Typically, if someone owns their own business, you do not have to tip them.  I especially would not, if you feel she was short with you at some point.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tipping-invitation-designer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7be26d64-8eef-4b03-b48b-0229eca118bfPost:27e9caa0-9c23-4ae1-9105-bc739be444a3">Re: Tipping Invitation Designer</a>:
    [QUOTE]I sent her an email with some questions after I paid the invoice and she was kind of short with me which is the complete opposite of how she acted while still working on the invites. I could be overthinking this but kind of got so I didn't know what the proper tipping etiquette was.
    Posted by AMYM312[/QUOTE]

As unprofessional as it might be, we all have our off days.  I would not read much into it.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Designers do not customarily get tipped - as a designer I have never once gotten a tip and would never expect it. We get to set our own prices and make whatever we want on any given project. 

If you really felt so inclined to show gratitude I would think a card would be a better idea. Every once in a while I will get Christmas gifts from long-term clients that I do work for all the time, but a one-off invitation design doesn't really seem like it would warrant anything.
  • AMYM312AMYM312 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for all the responses! Once I get my invites in the mail and make sure eveything is good I will write a good review on her website and send a thank you card. I
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards