African American Weddings

Please be our guest...

By being our guest you will help settle a minor dispute concerning our reception. Please be honest and add a note if necessary. Thank you for your participation.

We have budgeted for a max of 250 ppl including WP, we also decided we do not want our guest standing in long lines making their feet hurt for a buffet style meal. So sit down dinner it is. We are now debating how many servers will be sufficient and whether or not to open reception room during the cocktail hour. 

As for the servers, I say 4 he said 2.  I want everyone to finish dinner about the same time, plus I don't think it would be fair for ppl to still be eating and we're getting the party started, or waiting 20 minutes for a glass of water. He said it can all be done with 2 servers. 

As for the reception room I say have it open so ppl can fill in their menu options, know where their sitting, the Coordinator doesn't have to rush ppl to their seat when we arrive,they can mingle and servers can collect and set them up as needed. He said keep it closed  because ppl will be changing tables and they can fill it when seated and still not miss the important stuff....but I'm thinking who wants to stand for an hour.. I'm not renting any more tables, chair or linens!!! 

I know doing either way would probably be ok but I want a elegant, well planned and a happy guest reception.....I want FABULOUS NOT fine!!!

As a guest would you prefer having.....

1. 2 or 4 servers?
2. Open or Closed reception room during cocktail hour.

Re: Please be our guest...

• tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think 4 servers would be best... if not more. And IDK about the cocktail hour. I would, too, want the doors to be closed. But if there's no seating at the cocktail hour, that wouldn't be cool.
  • edited December 2011
    Definetly 4! Is it possible to bump it up to 5 or 6??

So if you do closed reception, then cocktail hour will be outside the room and no seating?? If that is the case, I would want my guests to come in and have a seat. Just think about women in heels and all your older guests.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue says 1 server per 20-25 people. So if you do the math....
    the question is, do you really think 2 servers is sufficient enough for 250 guests? IMO it's not. I don't even really think 4 is sufficient either. Is is possible like the pp said to have maybe 2 more? Just think guests waiting in line, or guests waiting at their tables to upwards of 30 min. or more while everyone else is eating/finished eating.

Closed reception room.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ellone400ellone400 member
    edited December 2011
    i say 5 for 250 people would be enough 2 no way hope that helps
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with aghouston... Our venue actually requires 1 server for every 16 people for a seated dinner (so like one server for every two tables) and 1 for every 24 for a buffet dinner so I don't even know if four would be enough to get 250 people fed in a timely matter. I am also in favor of a closed reception room but only if you can get some additional seating. If not, then go ahead and open the reception room so people can sit down.

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was just talking to my FI about this topic cause in undergrad he worked as a server at a banquet hall and he says that you all should also remember that the servers have additional responsibilities beyond just bringing them a plate of food. They are usually also responsible for replenishing drinks, bringing them any additional food items, cleaning spills, etc. So with you having four people you have one person for every 8 tables if you have 9 people per table. I can't imagine that they would be able to serve that food in a timely manner while making sure that your guests are comfortable and have what they need. I would consider hiring more servers if you want it to be efficient or you should consider even going to a buffet cause that may actually be faster. I know we debated back and forth about this for awhile and ultimately settled on buffet with two buffet lines because we didn't want to pay over $1000 more just for servers...I mean its just something to consider. I hope it all works out for you all.

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_please-guest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:14778f72-e304-4d54-8e6a-e52be0ceececPost:fefd058d-09cf-4f82-a154-8f3443bd7103">Re: Please be our guest...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just talking to my FI about this topic cause in undergrad he worked as a server at a banquet hall and he says that you all should also remember that the servers have additional responsibilities beyond just bringing them a plate of food. <font color="#ff0000"><strong>They are usually also responsible for replenishing drinks, bringing them any additional food items, cleaning spills, etc.</strong></font> So with you having four people you have one person for every 8 tables if you have 9 people per table. I can't imagine that they would be able to serve that food in a timely manner while making sure that your guests are comfortable and have what they need. I would consider hiring more servers if you want it to be efficient or you should consider even going to a buffet cause that may actually be faster. I know we debated back and forth about this for awhile and ultimately settled on buffet with two buffet lines because we didn't want to pay over $1000 more just for servers...I mean its just something to consider. I hope it all works out for you all.
    Posted by sweets18[/QUOTE]

GREAT POINT!!! I was thinking of that, too!
  • TNMurrayTNMurray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

4 is not enough. 1 server to have 20 people is what is needed. I say keep the reception doors closed.

• hatroopeshatroopes member
    edited December 2011
    Rule of thumb is 4 servers/100 people, so ideally you would need at least 6 servers. I would keep the reception hall closed till you're ready to start seating people - I think people can stand for an hour. If you have elderly guests, then maybe provide some seats/lounge type furniture. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Ok so I did calculate correctly my budget is set up for 6 servers. Closed reception wins, will have to figure out seating though....I'm not renting any more chairs to sit empty for 4-5 hrs. So another dispute resloved thanks to AAW.  Thank you for being our guest we greatly appreciate your feed back. 
  • happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I missed the boat on this one but agree with ppl on the numbers.  Doesn't your venue have guidelines for guests to servers ratios? I know our venue does and they have additional people that help with other non serving tasks.  I say go with the guidelines for the venue and you should be a-okay!
    80 said yes image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards