Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invitation Wording

I'm in the WP of an upcoming wedding, and we're trying to figure out how to word the invites. The bride's parents are divorced, and only one parent is hosting. But TK's recommendation for how to word that kind of invitation only lists the name of the one parent who's hosting. We want to include all four parents, even though just one is the host. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Re: Invitation Wording

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    Well, they could use the phrasing "Together with their families" in order to cut down on the wording, or they could use

Mrs. Bride's Mother
    and
    Mr. Bride's Father
    request the honour of your presence/pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their daughter
    Bride
    and
    Groom
    son of
    Mrs. Groom's Mother
    and
    Mr. Groom's Father
    on Day, Date
    Address
    City, State
    at Time
  • Options
    Use what Jen said.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invitation-wording-118?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:b98c0a16-03bd-4b63-8c3a-fdbdd95c526cPost:b4a2cf99-72d4-459a-8add-a2cc3b4f1ed9">Re: Invitation Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invitation Wording : I am sorry, but there are so many things wrong with this invitation wording. <strong>You never put "and" between people who are not currently married to each other.</strong>  This wording tells the guest that BOTH parents are hosting. If the groom's parents are married, they should be on the same line.  Mr. and Mrs. Groomsparents. The time of day should be directly after the date, not at the end as an afterthought. The name of the bride should be followed by "to", not "and".  "And" is used on Jewish or some Catholic invitations, but the wording is different. The name of the venue or church needs to be on the invitation. <strong>Trying to list everybody on a simple wedding invitation just looks cluttered and tacky.</strong>
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but trying to list everybody on a simple weddng invitation WASN'T my idea.  I'd actually just use "together with their families." We have no idea if the respective parents are married or not or use the same name.  You assume that they are, but that is not given in the OP.  This wording allows for the possibility that they are not or have different last names.

I don't agree with you about the use of "and" between the names of the hosts because it's really none of the guests' business about whether or not the hosts are married to each other and different etiquette experts don't agree about the use of "and" either.  And Miss Manners places the time of day at the end.  Also, this wording DOES allow for the name of the venue to be listed above the address.  "Address" is not limited to street address.
  • Options
    We just did "Together with their families" to cover all bases. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Sorry, I haven't had a chance to look at this over the last few days. 

1. In response to why I posted this instead of the bride, the bride is my cousin (close cousin; more like sister--we're a small immediate family) and this has been a popular discussion question for us as a family (how to word the invitation properly), so I said I'd ask online. 

2. Why to include the name of the parent who isn't paying: even though she isn't contributing to the wedding financially, the bride's mother is still a big part of our family, spends time with us, talks to us regularly, etc. Oddly enough, she and her ex-husband (my uncle/bride's dad) are really close--they were divorced over 20 years ago and are able to maintain a friendship. 

I hope this clears things up a bit. :) Thanks for the suggestions, and I will pass this along to my cousin. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards