May 2012 Weddings

Scheduling around Memorial Day?

Hey y'all,

So, my soon-to-be fiance and I have been looking at May 26th or 27th, 2012 for our wedding. (He's gotten my dad's blessing and bought the ring.) We both have school, graduations, and rotations (I'm in pharmacy school) to plan around.

We didn't realize that the last weekend of May was Memorial Day until my dad pointed it out. My dad seems to think that having the wedding on a holiday weekend would be a bad idea.

Meanwhile, I'm going back and forth between having the wedding at my church in Northern VA (BF is from NC), or in the city we went to school together in Northwestern PA (about a five hour drive from my house.) The latter option is more meaningful to both of us, and would have a much better setting for pictures. But we know it'd cost more and make attendance impossible for some of our guests, so we haven't decided yet.

My thought was, having a holiday on Monday would make travelling to PA easier on our guests.  I just don't have any idea how big of a problem it is to have one's wedding on a holiday weekend. Any thoughts or suggestions about the date? (Our other options are basically to move it back or forward a week, or do it later in the year.)
Visit Purple.weddings.com

Re: Scheduling around Memorial Day?

• I'm having my wedding on the 27th.  So far no one has voiced any concerns about it being a holiday weekend.  I thought it worked well for a Sunday wedding because most people would have the next day off.
  • I don't see a problem with having a wedding on Memorial Day weekend, as long as you give your guests plenty of time to make their plans.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_scheduling-around-memorial-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:34242ff8-9c68-4fba-917b-77dcb15bcddbPost:00e8da8d-dbe7-4037-868d-67939c17f161">Re: Scheduling around Memorial Day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't see a problem with having a wedding on Memorial Day weekend, as long as you give your guests plenty of time to make their plans.
    Posted by mandi921vh[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This. Send out STDs around December 2011. They'll have plenty of time to make plans.

</div>
  • I chose the 26th. This way the wedding party only has to take 1 day off and people will have plenty of time to get back to where they live and still be able to celebrate Memorial Day. No one hsa said anything bad about it. It seems perfect to do it on a 3 day weekend, especially for a holiday that people don't really have huge plans, just cooking out a lot.
  • Hello! Sorry to butt in, but I thought I might be able to ease some worries. 

I'm getting married on Memorial Day weekend in 2011. I booked vendors about a year out and sent STD's in June. I know that's way early but it's a holiday weekend and 90% of our guests are OOT. 

I have had zero issues with having my wedding on this date. Most of my guests are making a mini vacation out of traveling over the holiday weekend and I was able to book all the vendors I wanted. No one charged us extra for it being a holiday weekend. I hope this helps. If you have more questions you can page me on the May 2011 boards. Good luck!
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
This discussion has been closed.