Wedding Woes

I'm judging

New Guy just came and told me that he needs to leave early because his 8 y.o. twisted his ankle in gym class, SAHM wife is picking him up, but she doesn't know how to get to urgent care so he has to go drive them.

Y'all, I realize they just relocated last month, so I'm not going to fault them for not knowing where the closest pottery studio or Ethiopian restaurant is.  But I feel that being able to get an injured person to urgent care is a basic life skill that a grown-up should be able to handle.  Especially with GPS in every device.  And he lives between here and my house, so I know that area decently well and know that it's not BFE, it's very suburban--urgent care facilities are abundant.  And while they moved last month, it was last month, not yesterday.  And it's a sprained ankle--if the kid had a gushing head injury, I could see being so rattled that you might not trust yourself to drive. 

Also, I would like to point out that when the Woozle fell off the bed and broke her arm last summer, we were out of town, but we asked the concierge where the closest urgent care was, turned out we were less than a mile from the children's ER, plugged it into the GPS, and went.  How is it that you are responsible for a child and can't handle a sprained ankle without help from another grown-up?

Am I being too harsh?  I know I'm being judgy, and I'm fine with that, but if you all think I'm being too harsh I'll reconsider.

Re: I'm judging

• He knows what he's working with at home.

She's probably wigging out and calling him every 5 minutes.
  • :: files nail on finger of judgement ::

i judge this, too.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    how many kids?
    because trying to corral one sick/injured/otherwise freaked out child at urgent care and 3 other little ones who also freak = hard.
  • this doesn't seem like a 2 adult job - although i could see that he may need to leave if they have other kids that would need supervision.
  • Haven't there been other clues that the wife is rather delicate?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member

I'd judge hard too.  We knew where an Urgent Care was pretty quickly.  That's what something an adult should no regardless.  It may not be the closest, but it's a sprained ankle.  5 minutes won't matter.

Now if there are more kids I'd get it. 

• WzzWzz member
    this guy is a major life FAIL. i judge him, also. and his wife.
  • Injured kid is the younger of the two, the older just started her freshman year of high school. 

Whatever, it's not my kid, but I give the wife a life skills fail.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_im-judging-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:1f9df0ee-49bb-4b85-bb36-c18284e2f6ecPost:d1e1cacb-6756-41a7-aab9-238ea8e197bb">Re: I'm judging</a>:
    [QUOTE]how many kids? because trying to corral one sick/injured/otherwise freaked out child at urgent care and 3 other little ones who also freak = hard.
    Posted by GBCK[/QUOTE]

If this is the same employee Heffa has discussed before I think there is a grandmother living with them, right?  So assuming she is assisting with child care, wrangling of the additional children shouldn't be the issue.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll judge. And I'll go one further- what's the point of being a SAHM with two kids in school? She should have time to figure this sh!t out. Lazy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_im-judging-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:1f9df0ee-49bb-4b85-bb36-c18284e2f6ecPost:901fc89f-49b7-4823-924c-da48a6c4ec68">Re: I'm judging</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haven't there been other clues that the wife is rather delicate?
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

Indeed--early on, he was complaining that his wife "shouldn't" have to drive their second vehicle when they relocated and that the company should pay to have it transported instead.  At the time, the use of "shouldn't have to" made me think "entitled" but now I'm wondering if there's more to it.

And yes, his parents live with them, which may explain things:  maybe over time they have driven the wife insane, literally.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    so no need to drag 3 kids and dementia-laden grandma to the ER?
    Yeah, I'd be being a touch judgy.
  • [QUOTE]<strong>Indeed--early on, he was complaining that his wife "shouldn't" have to drive their second vehicle when they relocated and that the company should pay to have it transported instead.</strong>  At the time, the use of "shouldn't have to" made me think "entitled" but now I'm wondering if there's more to it. And yes, his parents live with them, which may explain things:  maybe over time they have driven the wife insane, literally.
    Posted by Heffalump[/QUOTE]

this made me laugh.  how was that ... "request" met?  ideally, with laughter and finger-pointing.
  • edited August 2012
    Maybe Mrs. Romney is her idol.
  • Taking more than one kid with you sucks sometimes, but that's what she deals with by being a SAHM, IMO.

Yahoo maps/Mapquest is not difficult.  Hell anymore if you google a place most of the time it's got directions right there for you.
  • WzzWzz member
    they aren't little kids, though, so it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. and the older one is HS age.

but then again, maybe these little women don't trust themselves driving without the man of the house nearby.
  • WzzWzz member

here's the thing, it cannot be THAT big of an emergency if they didn;t go straight to the hospital. this happened in gym class, so if the kid were on the verge of death, wouldn't the school have called an ambulance?

and the fact that the wife can drive to this guy's office to get him and then all the way to urgent care or the ER, she doesn't seem to feel it's an emergency, either.

JMO.

for the record, any time i have moved or gone on vacation, i looked up urgent care just so i would know where the closest ones would be if i needed them.

the whole thing smells of entitlement all over new guy's new suit.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_im-judging-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:1f9df0ee-49bb-4b85-bb36-c18284e2f6ecPost:133eb627-3279-4585-b83f-380d3d00b685">Re: I'm judging</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>this guy is a major life FAIL</strong>. i judge him, also. and his wife.
    Posted by Wzz[/QUOTE]

This. 
  • this guy is a major life FAIL. i judge him, also. and his wife.
    Posted by Wzz

Yep.  AND I am leaving in 24 hours to go to a different country and I looked up where the nearest ER/Urgent care is and I don't have kids... I just want to be cautious. 

I have my judgy catsuit on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
  • You know... if it was a younger child and the first "big" injury they had, I'd probably have my husband/partner/babydaddy meet me at the hospital. But this seems a tad ridiculous. And after a month? If you know how to get to Walmart, you should know how to get to the hospital.
  • You know what I did when I went to visit a friend who was hospitalized in a city that I'd never been to before?

Looked for this sign and followed the arrows. Done and done.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards