Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

FYI - Social Security

If you're going to go get your new social security card, you MUST go to the downtown location.  Also, bring a book or something to do.  I waited for 1.5 hours today. 

Re: FYI - Social Security

• edited December 2011
    booo. Did you need your current SS card? I lost mine about 4 years ago (oops) and I'm trying to figure out if I should order a replacement first.
  • edited December 2011
    yeah, that's what I thought (I had responded in a previous thread)...it stinks going down there and waiting for hours, especially with the construction right now...but on a positive note, you are one huge step closer to be being done with the process :)

Steph, yes they asked for my marriage license and SS card.  Not sure if you need a replacement or if you're able to show other forms of ID instead.  They do keep your SS card to shred it, so hopefully you don't need a replacement, just for them to take it back when you change it.
    imageimage
    Born 37w4d on 09/27/11 - 5lbs 10oz 19 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_fyi-social-security?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:d9f60af6-bddb-4568-9018-d077fd594ab9Post:69b3ac53-e3b4-4ff7-9353-538323e261d8">Re: FYI - Social Security</a>:
    [QUOTE] They do keep your SS card to shred it, so hopefully you don't need a replacement, just for them to take it back when you change it.
    Posted by blondie424[/QUOTE]

<div>That. That's exactly what I'm afraid of happening.  I really don't want to go wait in line twice.</div><div>
    </div><div>This weekend, I started making a list of everything that has my name on it; midway through, I decided FI should just change his name.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Update:  Cool, Twin Cities  Everyone else in the country can just mail in the replacement application.  Except the Twin Cities metro.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_fyi-social-security?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:d9f60af6-bddb-4568-9018-d077fd594ab9Post:17a7d6d9-8186-4d5a-b298-a25f77f3669e">Re: FYI - Social Security</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FYI - Social Security : This weekend, I started making a list of everything that has my name on it; midway through, I decided FI should just change his name.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

LOL, I thought the same thing!  I think the biggest pain has been keeping track of what name is on what account while you're in the process of changing it all.  I'm still catching myself signing with my maiden name (everything is changed over now, oops!).  I have a feeling I'll be doing that for a while longer yet :)
    imageimage
    Born 37w4d on 09/27/11 - 5lbs 10oz 19 inches
  • KittE7KittE7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ok maybe dumb question - if I'm not changing my name, does my marital status still need to be filed with SS, or does the marriage license take care of that... and SS only cares if you're changing the name on the card?
    eight twenty-seven ten
    reviews to come, i promise
  • edited December 2011
    Blondie- My bank assured me that they'll really take anything signed maiden or married name (and check with married or maiden name listed.)  Let's be honest; no one checks signatures anyway anymore.

Kitt- I'm almost positive you just have to do it if you change your name.  You should definitely check with insurance though; I know my car insurance will go down once I'm married!
  • edited December 2011
    Blondie - I'm pretty sure it's just changing my name on the card, but like PP said, change your marital status with insurance, work, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    If you do not have a current SS card you do not need a replacement. You just need to fill out the form for the name change and have your DL and marriage certificate.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards