Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Father/Daughter Dance

I desperately need some ideas for a good Father/Daughter dance. I've looked around for lists on the internet, but many of them are either way too cheesy, country-western (not a fan), or are on the verge of being a little creepy when you listen to the lyrics.  Any ideas for good songs?  They can be unique too! 

Thanks!!!

Re: Father/Daughter Dance

• edited December 2011
    I know you said you didn't like Country Western but "I loved her first" is soooo touching!  Also I am sure you;ve thought of the other one that everyone does; Butterfly Kisses
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What kind of music do you want? Are the two of you good dancers or just sway back and forth?   We used At Last and it's a pretty timeless song. 
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "What A Wonderful World" by Louie Armstrong.
  • edited December 2011
    "Afternoon Delight."  I'm sorry, I just remembered that episode of Arrested Development when George Michael sang that song with his dad, who later sang it with his sister.

How about "Unforgettable" by Nat King/Natalie Cole?  Or is that too cheesy?
  • edited December 2011
    We did Hwy 20 Ride by Zac Brown Band but that's country-ish. We were stuck between that and "It won't be like this for long" by Darius Rucker, who used to be a singer in Hootie and the Blowfish.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I let my dad choose and we are going with Proud Mary by Tina Turner....not because of the words at all but because my dad and I used to dance to that together when I was little. He waited at the bus stop with me and there would be little ice patches and we would slide around on them while we were singing that song. So IMO it doesn't have to be the words or a touching song....for us it is just a memory that we have together from when I was little.
  • edited December 2011
    My parents are huge Elton John fans and we grew up listening to him all the time.  Every family vacation in the car, I can remember listening to him. So I definitely wanted one of his songs for our dance.  I choose Blessed because the words were fitting, it is a slow song, and most of all because his music has special meaning to us. It was either Blessed or Your Song (which is my all time fav of EJ).

My second choice would have been Trace Adkins, Then They Do...it's country but a very sweet song.
    imageimage
    Born 37w4d on 09/27/11 - 5lbs 10oz 19 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_fatherdaughter-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:484b7b87-b7b6-46df-9d2a-f9a3aca09432Post:e25a374d-8d53-48e1-be23-3cf85524e594">Re: Father/Daughter Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]I choose Blessed because the words were fitting, it is a slow song, and most of all because his music has special meaning to us.
    Posted by blondie424[/QUOTE]

LOVE that song! One of my all-time favs :)

For father/daughter, I think "Unforgettable" is cute -- specifically the duet of Natalie Cole with Nat King Cole. (She recorded the duet with his original solo track after he died.)  Also, my friend danced to "My Girl" with her dad, which is cute.
  • jtothelee216jtothelee216 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My father and I danced to "Walk With You" by Edwin McCain.
    I thought it was perfect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBUMnQgSTs

• zephyr_mariezephyr_marie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those are great some suggestions - I think one of the biggest problems is that I'm just not a big dancer, but everyone is expecting it since there is going to be a mother/groom dance.  We don't really have a lot of personal songs - we just didn't spend much time together because my parents were divocrced - I'll have to think, though - I know what kind of music he likes.

Thanks everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    I really like "Gracie Girl" by Ben Folds for a little more of an untraditional song. I'm going to try and convince my dad of that one. If not, he's a big Natalie Cole fan so we'll probably end up doing the "Unforgettable" duet
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_fatherdaughter-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:484b7b87-b7b6-46df-9d2a-f9a3aca09432Post:850a5877-ef60-4d13-8a85-d2816bedabee">Re: Father/Daughter Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]My father and I danced to "Walk With You" by Edwin McCain. I thought it was perfect! <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBUMnQgSTs" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBUMnQgSTs</a>
    Posted by jtothelee216[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing this song idea!  I hadn't heard it before and it made me cry.  Sooo sweet and very appropriate lyrics.  I love!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jtothelee216jtothelee216 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Olivehim -- I had never heard it before doing a youtube search of father/daughter songs.  I think it is fitting and sentimental without being "corny".  Glad you liked it.  : )
  • edited December 2011

Daughters by John mayer is a great one.

• KittE7KittE7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    zephyr - I'm in the same boat - didn't spend my whole childhood w/him b/c they were divorced halfway thru. 
    [QUOTE]...  everyone is expecting it since there is going to be a mother/groom dance.  We don't really have a lot of personal songs - we just didn't spend much time together because my parents were divocrced ...
    Posted by zephyr_marie[/QUOTE]

Plus, I love my dad, but I don't completely feel comfortable slow dancing in front of everyone.  We'll see.
    I heard a song that might work for me on the Current last week... atypical for a F-D dance but the words worked.  Can't remember it now! I should leave a notepad in my car to jot down that song when I hear it again...  If not that, default is "Your Song".
    eight twenty-seven ten
    reviews to come, i promise
  • edited December 2011
    I also let my Dad pick, I figure I have enough on my plate.  He is making a medley of songs:

In My Life: by the Beatles
    My Girl: the Temptations
    Isn't She Lovely: by Stevie Wonder
    The Way You Look Tonight: By Frank Sinatra

I thought it was kind of fun that he wanted to choose a few and mix it together.
  • edited December 2011
    What a cool medley!  Neat idea!

We went with the Unforgettable duet.  I picked that out as our song when I was 10 years old.

Steve and his mom danced to Blackbird by the Beatles, which I thought was an interesting and non-corny selection. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards