New Jersey
Options

registering-vent

Anyone else having troubles registering for stuff? Fi and I are looking to purchase a home after we are married, and we dont live together right now. Im having a hard time picking some stuff to register for because we dont know what colors we will have in the house. Yes i know we can paint and change things once we get in.. im still just struggling. is it just me?

Re: registering-vent

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Dh and I also werent living together when we got married.  To be completely honest, we returned a large majority of our stuff once we bought our home and realized that the stuff we registered for probably wasnt so practical and did not match our home.  I reccomend registering somewhere that allows you to return everything without givign you a hard time.  BBB gives cash back for anything you return that was purchased off your registry.
  • Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I thought the same thing at first, but decided that if we didn't register for it we probably would never buy it.  We registered for all stainless steel stuff so that it would match. Luckily, we when bought our house in the fall, everything matched our appliances, so it all worked out. 

Don't worry about your china matching, just pick something that you will really like.  Same goes for other glasses, plates, etc.   

You can also register for small appliances, pots and pans, and that should be fine.

As for bedding and towels, etc...We went with colors that would match a variety of paint colors.    We also thought about what colors we like and might want to paint and got colors that would match those.   We use practically everything we got and we bought our house several months after getting married.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would register for the stuff that doesn't need to match anything (most kitchen stuff is like that).  You can always hold off on bedding and towels and such until you've found a house. 
  • Options
    JennM31JennM31 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks. so far the kitchen stuff and the china has been the easiest things to register for. its stuff like accent pieces, and bath stuff that is hard.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually kinda had a mild meltdown while registering. for this reason, and others (I like to research and mull over every single purchase ... this was like forced decision overload.) I literaly callled my mommy ;-)

But we got through it =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    nah it was fun, we found macy's to be a pain, they offered no help.  Bed Bath was a million times more helpful, the woman walked around the store with us for 3 hours helping us out
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are in the same situation. We registered at BBB for pretty much all kitchen stuff. The pots and pans, knives, baking stuff, glasses, utensils (everyday), plates, etc. We also did register for some bathroom stuff that's kind of neutral but can work with a lot of different colors. You might also want to register for a luggage set if you don't have one yet. Comes in handy, especially for your honeymoon! Good luck!
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered for Neutal colored things for bedding, like beige and browns and same for the towels from BBB... we figured we can always exchange them for color after if we need to.  Same thing with kitchen things.. I want to make it red so I registered for red kitchen towels and stuff... but they come in other colors if I have to exchange them.  We are holding off on Bathroom accessories though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Stick with basic things.....

China
    Knife Set
    Nice Vacuum
    Coffee Maker,etc

If you are moving don't get anything that is color coordinated like bedding.  We did, and now we moved and our bedding is useless.  Sure I can repaint the room, but I can think of 234345456 other things to do in the house instead, and I don't even have a ladder high enough to do the ceiling.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never thought of this until you  just mentioned. We live together but are going to buy a house. Oh boy..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards