November 2011 Weddings

Dilemma

My fiance is not very opinionated when it comes to the wedding plans.  For the most part he always says, "whatever you want" when I ask his opinions on things. Our colors are burnt orange and a dark purple. Well I would like to have burnt orange bridesmaid dresses.  However he is insisting on the guys wearing black tuxes.  This is not going to work for me....in my opinion this just screams HALLOWEEN, which is quite possibly my least favorite holiday.  I think brown tuxes would look amazing.  But he really wants a black one and I want him to be part of the decision making process too.  My options are 1) switch to purple dresses 2) convince him that brown will look great! or 3) convince myself that orange dresses and black tuxes will not look like Halloween.

Thoughts? Opinions? Pictures of orange/brown or orange/black? Please help!
November 2011 Board
Siggy Challenge: Favorite Registry Item
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dilemma

• HaylaCHaylaC
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    edited September 2010

I would also probably go for brown, or  grey suits.  However its your H2B's wedding too and he needs to be happy and comfortable on the day.  i think there are ways to work it so that you can obth have what you want, but i think it depends on how much purple you are also incorporating, for instance having purple flowers/accessories/accents on the clothes will reduce the look of halloween. 

i will try and find some inspiration pics for you

ETA: http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/21009/detailview.aspx?type=3&colors=Black-And-White&id=21009

its not a great pic but gives you a small idea
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Honeymoon Sunset

Anniversary

• although orange and black do remind me of halloween with the addition of purple it actually reminds me more of mardi gras!
    i am also having the color question with FI now. I was thinking gray and he wants black.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • my FI said he doesnt want orange and purple so i had to change the colors once again to purple and green!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I personally think that purple dressed with orange flowers and maybe an orange sash with black tuxedos would like great so I think you should go with option 1. With option one he will still get to keep the one thing he made an actual decision on.
  • ha ha thanks ladies.  I'm not sure I was going for the Mardi Gras feel either but I suppose it's better than Halloween.  His brother even requested black tuxes.  When he asked him to be his best man the first thing he said was, "black tuxes right?" I don't know what they have against brown.  Oh well!
    November 2011 Board
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We too are doing the orange! 

My fiancé will be wearing a black tux white vest and orange tie and our groomsmen black tuxes blue vests and blue ties. Our bridesmaids will be wearing blue also. Jon will match me with the white and pop of orange. And all of our flowers will be orange. 

Theres a pic of the orange and black combo, I don't think it looks bad at all!
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge - February - Venue

Photobucket
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Just saw this orange and purple combo pic thought I'd share. You may have already saw it...

November 2011 Siggy Challenge - February - Venue

Photobucket
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • cldete3, a lot of men already OWN a black tux, so only having to rent a vest and tie will save them a bundle.  That's probably mostly why the BM asked that.

P.s. If I were your bridesmaid, and you said that I could wear orange (which is nearly universally unflattering) or purple (which is universally flattering), I'd pick purple, haha.
    image image image image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • I would also go with purple bridesmaids dresses with flowers in orange and shades of purple and have the guys wear black tuxes. Orange and black would be Halloween-esque to me.
    Anniversary
  • This is a picture I actually found on TheKnot......
    Kimberly first spotted her bridesmaids’ dresses in cherry red at a California boutique. “I imagined it in burnt orange, and I knew it was the one,” she says. The men wore burnt orange vests to match.It is a burnt orange bridesmaid dress and other orange details with a black tux....doesn't seem like Halloween at all to me, just a nice fall color. It just depends on the shade of orange you use.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic November 2011 Siggy Challenge This is a really old picture from when we first started dating. Wedding Countdown Ticker image Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks! I really like the looks of the burnt orange and black in that picture!
    November 2011 Board
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards