Snarky Brides

ignorant co-worker@ ugh!!

One of my coworkers is having a destination wedding and getting married in Jan. We've both been talking wedding for months now and she was well aware of when my day was. SO the other day she comes to work and tells me that she has booked her reception at home to be the same night as my wedding and reception. I was so floored and pissed off I didn't say anything at first about it, but now I feel like confronting her about doing this as I have quite a few co workers on my guest list and she's inviting a ton of people too so basically its going to make getting the day off next to impossible. Why would anyone do that... such an ignorant thing to do! GRRRRRR!Cry
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!!

• "she's inviting a ton of people too so basically it's going to make getting the day off next to impossible"

Um? Haven't you already asked off work for your wedding??
  • Ignorant isn't exactly the right word here.  Clueless?  Perhaps.

But you know what?  Weddings and at home receptions are not soley about coworkers.  The most important people (the bride and groom, their immediate families) have to be okay with the date.  Perhaps (!!) that was the only date that worked for them.

You can be annoyed, of course.  But saying something along the lines of "how could you do such a thing?  Don't you realize that is MY wedding day.  Do you enjoy runing my day and making people choose??" isn't going to come off well because, quite frankly, the date has nothing to do with you.
  • But if they have it on the same day it means she'll get less gifts; that's not fair to either one of them.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ignorant-co-worker-ugh-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1d03a96a-ca4c-4bd5-8c95-81d57cc69b5cPost:74bbbffe-007a-4c19-b610-422a838b0231">Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]But if they have it on the same day it means she'll get less gifts; that's not fair to either one of them.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

But if their guest lists overlap - does that mean that people who choose to go to the other wedding will just send a gift?  In which case, she's getting gifts from people who aren't even there.  That's a win, isn't it??  More gifts than people!

EDIT: woah.. just spelled their has they're.  I need more sleep and a less hectic schedule.
  • Maybe if you go to your boss and stamp your feet around and throw a tantrum and say thinks like "...but its MY DAY!!" you will get the day off?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ignorant-co-worker-ugh-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1d03a96a-ca4c-4bd5-8c95-81d57cc69b5cPost:2bd34ca1-d6f1-4ea1-9b56-375e37e0831f">Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!! : But if their guest lists overlap - does that mean that people who choose to go to the other wedding will just send a gift?  In which case, she's getting gifts from people who aren't even there.  That's a win, isn't it??  More gifts than people! EDIT: woah.. just spelled their has they're.  I need more sleep and a less hectic schedule.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

LOL I hadn't thought of that, this is a blessing in disguise; she should probably do a honeymoon registry and put that in the thank you cards too for the people that couldn't come since they'll feel guilty.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Well, then you had better get your invitations out first. Like NOW! Just post one in the copy room, preferably on the top of the copy machine. Include a stack of RSVPS right next to it, and you can save on postage. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ignorant-co-worker-ugh-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1d03a96a-ca4c-4bd5-8c95-81d57cc69b5cPost:03976d64-ec44-46ef-9ef9-562277ec9203">Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, then you had better get your invitations out first. Like NOW! Just post one in the copy room, preferably on the top of the copy machine. Include a stack of RSVPS right next to it, and you can save on postage. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

This is obviously the only solution  :P
    imageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ignorant-co-worker-ugh-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1d03a96a-ca4c-4bd5-8c95-81d57cc69b5cPost:6f4eb0e6-b6c9-4297-9b40-8629a19c6f80">Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]"she's inviting a ton of people too so basically it's going to make getting the day off next to impossible" Um? <strong>Haven't you already asked off work for your wedding??</strong>
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this was my first question too.
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Just worry about your wedding! The people who matter most and who love you will show up and do the right thing. No Need to get all stressed out. She probably knows that it's your wedding day but that was the only day that worked for her, too. She is probably just as concerned as you are so just don't worry about it and everything will turn out perfectly.!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ignorant-co-worker-ugh-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1d03a96a-ca4c-4bd5-8c95-81d57cc69b5cPost:f2e5c8dc-2e14-4ccf-993d-e027526459bd">Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!! : I'm guessing she meant it would be hard for her coworkers to get the day off to go to the wedding(s).
    Posted by jamierobin[/QUOTE]

<div>yes. I know that.  My answer is sarcastic.  Because her question was ridiculous (as proved by the rest of the answers given.)</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ignorant-co-worker-ugh-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1d03a96a-ca4c-4bd5-8c95-81d57cc69b5cPost:6f4eb0e6-b6c9-4297-9b40-8629a19c6f80">Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]"she's inviting a ton of people too so basically it's going to make getting the day off next to impossible" Um? Haven't you already asked off work for your wedding??
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Perhaps she can't request days off in 2011 until the new year. I know the 1st thing I am going to do when the new year hits is request the 2 weeks off I need for the wedding and honeymoon.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ignorant-co-worker-ugh-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1d03a96a-ca4c-4bd5-8c95-81d57cc69b5cPost:d04afd23-7d7d-4aae-babf-4b78d8d2cbd9">Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!! : Perhaps she can't request days off in 2011 until the new year. I know the 1st thing I am going to do when the new year hits is request the 2 weeks off I need for the wedding and honeymoon.
    Posted by martianwax[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking. We can't request time off in the next year, we have to wait until January 1st because our PTO doesn't roll over. If her company is anything like mine, they'd give her a hard time if 2 people are asking for time off at the same time. OP, does your boss know you're getting married? I told mine in advance that I was taking the time off in April so he knew to expect it.

But other than that, don't worry about the co-worker. Who cares what she does. If you're worried about co-workers not showing up, it's not a big deal. You'll still have your friends and family--the people who mean the most to you.
  • I know it is just me.... but at no job that I have ever been at, have I been able to invite a ton of people to any of my social events.  I liked them and all, but it was a job, and we didnt get all kumbaya after work.... As annoying as it maybe, life is going to go on for the rest of the world, even if it IS your wedding day.
  • well, its true I can't request and get approved for the day off till the new year. Obviously I've already put in for it, but that means nothing until its approved. Most of my work friends I do consider some of my best friends and they are very important to me and my life. Sorry for any of you whom don't enjoy your work and the people that you spend most of your time with. Thanks to those of you ladies whom weren't sarcastic and rude with your replies. I just was feeling very frustrated and needed to vent.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You could always call in sick that day. You know, and come back with a new last name. Doctor's orders.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ignorant-co-worker-ugh-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1d03a96a-ca4c-4bd5-8c95-81d57cc69b5cPost:27fc0038-a681-44a5-8466-444995983e69">Re: ignorant co-worker@ ugh!!</a>:
    [QUOTE] Thanks to those of you ladies whom weren't sarcastic and rude with your replies. I just was feeling very frustrated and needed to vent.
    Posted by jessi1988[/QUOTE]

Er, you do realize you posted on SB, right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards