Military Brides

getting married in ACUs?

No FI is not thinking about this. FI's are beat to hell.

I saw a picture of it on google. 

What do you think of someone doing this?

Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

Re: getting married in ACUs?

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know what most of us think of this.  I seem to remember a very similar topic - wearing ACUs for non-combat situations, such as engagement photos - causing a big uproar with you and Katelyn, and then a whole bunch of foot stomping and hair flipping and "I do what I want" went down.

Why do you post things just to try to get people riled up?  Or say things like, "I can't believe this person did THAT!" We don't care what your friends do, we don't care what some random strangers do.  And I certainly don't care to spend my time answering random 'hypothetical' questions like this.

Anniversary

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It's against Army regs.I just happen to have it bookmarked.

5A.

THE ACU IS NOT NORMALLY CONSIDERED APPROPRIATE FOR SOCIAL OR OFFICIAL FUNCTIONS OFF THE INSTALLATION, SUCH AS MEMORIAL SERVICES, FUNERALS, WEDDINGS, INAUGURALS, PATRIOTIC CEREMONIES, ETC. THE ACU IS ISSUED AS A COMBAT UNIFORM AND IS NOT INTENDED FOR WEAR AS AN ALL-PURPOSE UNIFORM WHEN OTHER UNIFORMS (CLASS A OR B, DRESS, AND MESS UNIFORM) ARE MORE APPROPRIATE.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:4df47b96-e2d1-4303-8e9f-44a3b123f304">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>You know what most of us think of this.  I seem to remember a very similar topic - wearing ACUs for non-combat situations, such as engagement photos - causing a big uproar with you and Katelyn, and then a whole bunch of foot stomping and hair flipping and "I do what I want" went down</strong>. Why do you post things just to try to get people riled up?  Or say things like, "I can't believe this person did THAT!" We don't care what your friends do, we don't care what some random strangers do.  And I certainly don't care to spend my time answering random 'hypothetical' questions like this.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I don't. I know that I didn't ask that because I don't want engagement pictures with FI in ACUs. His look like hell. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:02ddae39-70b0-470e-8ae0-5cd30fb32925">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting married in ACUs? : I don't. I know that I didn't ask that because I don't want engagement pictures with FI in ACUs. His look like hell. 
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>If his look like heck, it's time for new ones.

</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    C I don't think kendall was around for that discussion.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:0af56b8e-25e6-432f-8ba8-fb3a4d127e42">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting married in ACUs? : If his look like heck, it's time for new ones.
    Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]
    He's waiting for the state to have money so he can DX (I think thats the term he used) his. He's gone all the way up to his BNCO. About the guys in his unit needing new ones
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    edited December 2011
    Seriously, some of the situations you come up with, and things you say, make me understand more why my H comes home mentally exhausted after dealing with his junior sailors all day.  

As Stan said, if his uniforms look like hell, it's time for him to get new ones.  He should show pride in the uniform he wears.  And if they look that bad, I can't believe he hasn't gotten in trouble for them yet. 

Maybe I'm just going to start random, offensive threads just for the hell of it.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:eb7a1d1d-98a5-4589-b1a2-a99a74dddd1a">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]C I don't think kendall was around for that discussion.
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]

If not, then that makes more sense.  I seem to remember her defending Katelyn, but maybe it was Katelyn defending Kendall later.  Who knows, they're both jumbled up in my head anyway.

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:1a21ed1b-f079-41a8-a674-65d97f1b4380">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting married in ACUs? : He's waiting for the state to have money so he can DX (I think thats the term he used) his. He's gone all the way up to his BNCO. About the guys in his unit needing new ones
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]

<div>He gets a uniform allowance, it is his responsibility to buy them.  If he spent that money on things other than uniforms, then that's his fault and he needs to find the money to buy them.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:adfc667c-3e41-4d27-be92-01071a7e324f">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting married in ACUs? : If not, then that makes more sense.  I seem to remember her defending Katelyn, but maybe it was Katelyn defending Kendall later.  Who knows, they're both jumbled up in my head anyway.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

<div>No, that was Katelyn's FI (supposedly) who made a SN and came in to defend her.  Come on, C, keep all the kiddos straight!</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:29e0133c-8e15-4bdf-b6ea-99ec3113cf53">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting married in ACUs? : No, that was Katelyn's FI (supposedly) who made a SN and came in to defend her.  Come on, C, keep all the kiddos straight!
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

Riiiiight... now I remember.... sort of.  I just honestly don't care.  It's like when FI watches annoying TV shows like Judge Judy or something (he puts those on as background to legal studying... go figure).  I just tune out all the annoying voices.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:9f95bd0a-7ad9-400b-8a8f-413d5caec433">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Seriously, some of the situations you come up with, and things you say, make me understand more why my H</strong> <strong>comes home mentally exhausted after dealing with his junior sailors all day.</strong>   As Stan said, if his uniforms look like hell, it's time for him to get new ones.  He should show pride in the uniform he wears.  And if they look that bad, I can't believe he hasn't gotten in trouble for them yet.  Maybe I'm just going to start random, offensive threads just for the hell of it.  

LOL Amen!  Leaders spend 80% of their time on 20% of their Soldiers.  :/
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:7fdba268-63f9-48c2-b4fb-2891fe66532a">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting married in ACUs? : He gets a uniform allowance, it is his responsibility to buy them.  If he spent that money on things other than uniforms, then that's his fault and he needs to find the money to buy them.

Agreed.
    ACUs are not appropriate at all. I would think you would know this... You knew we didn't like it for e-pics, so why would we be okay with it for a more formal event?

*random rant*
    A pet peeve of mine is when I am at the airport and I see a bunch of Army guys in their ACU's. toootally angers me. I don't know why the Army wants them to do this.. HOW is this OPSEC?!?  seriously... *end rant*
  • AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:ea034738-9d6c-437a-ae2d-048ab675daf9">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting married in ACUs? : Agreed. ACUs are not appropriate at all. I would think you would know this... You knew we didn't like it for e-pics, so why would we be okay with it for a more formal event? *random rant* <strong>A pet peeve of mine is when I am at the airport and I see a bunch of Army guys in their ACU's. toootally angers me. I don't know why the Army wants them to do this.. HOW is this OPSEC?!?  seriously... *end rant*
    </strong>Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

My favorite is when they go to the movie theater in their ACUs....You didn't have time to go home and change before going to the movie?
    Photobucket
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:2c45b656-2960-4aa0-b2ff-0f1f7450410a">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting married in ACUs? : My favorite is when they go to the movie theater in their ACUs....You didn't have time to go home and change before going to the movie?
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

Along the same lines, it pisses me off when only members of the military in uniform get to board planes first.  I totally understand coming/going from deployment - heck, bump 'em up to first class if you can, please!  But if you're going to offer it to people in the military, how about anyone with an active duty ID card?  Because they're still serving their country, even if they don't happen to be wearing uniform out of regulations.

Anniversary

• kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    OK - have to share a completely off the wall wedding story about someone getting married in ACU's and it was the bride.

My good friend Carol was at work and got a call from her FI that he needed to go to ER right away.  (Backstory - they had just moved in together after 2 years of dating, had decided they would eventually get married).

Carol flies home, grabs Mike and heads for the ER.  He gets admitted and it appears to be heart related and serious.  They start talking and she says she wants to get married now since they had already decided they would and he had no insurance.

She dashes down to the courthouse, explains the situation and the magistrate and his staff were awesome and she got the license.  Went back to the hospital with the magistrate and got married in ACU's with her hair looking far less than stellar (hat hair) and not much for makeup either.

He tells her they can redo the ceremony "properly" in front of her kids and her in a dress, etc.  She tells him no, it was perfect, and the intent of his love to her was very evident and she wouldn't change a thing (except for  him being sick).

As far as the original post - it would never be appropriate to plan to marry in ACU's like everyone said.

Someday I'll  have to share the story of the 7 weddings I attended in a 5 day stretch while helping a unit mobilize for Desert Storm......Wink
  • edited December 2011
    kmm that was a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing :)

Calindi I agree. Although I do understand wanting to give the guys that are coming back from deployment, it's annoying that they EXPECT you to be in your uniform. Fi isn't ALLOWED to fly in his uniform(s). Really none of them should be (but again I totally get it when they are coming back from deployment.. it's still not safe though.. ).
    Sometimes they upgrade out of uniform guys though. That has happened to FI a couple times when he has flown over to Japan for this or that.. he usually give the seat up for a younger military guy, but it's nice that they offer when he's not in uni .
    edited December 2011
    I had to read your story a few times, trying to figure out why he would wait for her to fly home to go to the ER.  Then I realized you just meant rush home.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:798d673f-f56b-49f4-8fcc-a72425b2dc24">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting married in ACUs? : Along the same lines, it pisses me off when only members of the military in uniform get to board planes first.  I totally understand coming/going from deployment - heck, bump 'em up to first class if you can, please!  But if you're going to offer it to people in the military, how about anyone with an active duty ID card?  Because they're still serving their country, <strong>even if they don't happen to be wearing uniform out of regulations.
    </strong>Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

Traveling commercially in ACUs (which is the duty uniform) is only against regulation if you are not on duty.  Typically the Sodliers you see in unifom in airports are trainees who are reporting to another base or to another type of schooling- in which case being in civilian clothes would be inappropriate or not possible.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:5a701720-8139-4a95-8a30-2d6ee5d33b4d">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting married in ACUs? : Traveling commercially in ACUs (which is the duty uniform) is only against regulation if you are not on duty.  Typically the Sodliers you see in unifom in airports are trainees who are reporting to another base or to another type of schooling- in which case being in civilian clothes would be inappropriate or not possible.
    Posted by TeamBaby[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it's ALWAYS out of regulation, I'm saying that people who are service members are still serving their country even if it is out of regulation to wear their uniform at that time.

And obviously people who are in uniform because they're coming/going from deployment are definitely deserving of getting to board first or other special treatment like being bumped up to first class. 

But I don't think it's the airline's intention to reward only students and not other service members who just don't happen to be in uniform.  Like my friend Dave, who was coming back from Afghanistan this summer and had a heck of a time with the airlines trying to get back to Miami.  He missed his connection and the airline gave him a really difficult time.  He told us all that he wished he had been allowed to wear his uniform in flight because he thinks it would have helped encourage the airlines to help him out, since it would have been bad PR for them to be fighting with a soldier in uniform on his way back from combat just trying to see his family.

Anniversary

• AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:5edfba03-6511-443d-b75a-2e35f7b2785c">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had to read your story a few times, trying to figure out why he would wait for her to fly home to go to the ER.  Then I realized you just meant rush home.  

I thought the same thing...
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    My question is how your FI getting away with not having "clean" uniforms?  In my H's unit they are "talked" to if their hair is a little to long.  They are giving a very hard time if their uniforms are not clean.  I don't see how that is possible. 

Agree with Beach...what is he doing with his uniform money? 
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:5edfba03-6511-443d-b75a-2e35f7b2785c">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had to read your story a few times, trying to figure out why he would wait for her to fly home to go to the ER.  Then I realized you just meant rush home.  

oops, sorry about that!
  • edited December 2011
    Why is it every day I come on here and Kendall has made yet another random/stupid/offensive/"look what my FB friend did, isn't she stupid! I'm not like her, Please like me!!" post, seriously?! enough is enough.  We don't care about your FB friends, your "friends" that you "got rid of" because you're so much smarter and more mature, and we sure as heck don't care about something that you googled!! Get a grip Kendall.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    National Guard and Reserve Soldiers do not receive an annual clothing allowance.  Their unit usually replaces unserviceable uniforms.  However, in my experience, good Soldiers will usually take initiative and come out of pocket for at least one uniform to ensure they are able to maintain a professional appearance at all times.  That all goes back to the 80/20% I mentioned earlier.

As for Soldiers in uniform getting bumped up to First Class- unfortunately it is against the military ethics policy to accept the upgrade.  It definitely happens, but it is illegal still the same.
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:aa701b18-3f59-4ed9-b688-6a5f2954044e">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why is it every day I come on here and Kendall has made yet another random/stupid/offensive/"look what my FB friend did, isn't she stupid! I'm not like her, Please like me!!" post, seriously?! enough is enough.  We don't care about your FB friends, your "friends" that you "got rid of" because you're so much smarter and more mature, and we sure as heck don't care about something that you googled!! Get a grip Kendall.
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]

<div>You took the words out of my mouth Sami. Honestly, I usually don't even read the threads she start, but I really had to agree with you on this. </div>
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:16829285-e44f-4893-8d63-984624f5aa30">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]National Guard and Reserve Soldiers do not receive an annual clothing allowance.  Their unit usually replaces unserviceable uniforms.  However, in my experience, good Soldiers will usually take initiative and come out of pocket for at least one uniform to ensure they are able to maintain a professional appearance at all times.  That all goes back to the 80/20% I mentioned earlier. As for Soldiers in uniform getting bumped up to First Class- unfortunately it is against the military ethics policy to accept the upgrade.  It definitely happens, but it is illegal still the same.

Interesting on not accepting the upgrade, but it makes sense.

Anniversary

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:7fdba268-63f9-48c2-b4fb-2891fe66532a">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting married in ACUs? : He gets a uniform allowance, it is his responsibility to buy them.  If he spent that money on things other than uniforms, then that's his fault and he needs to find the money to buy them.
    actually he doesn't 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:382c8723-dd77-4cfa-a610-d1b2680e1f2ePost:16829285-e44f-4893-8d63-984624f5aa30">Re: getting married in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]National Guard and Reserve Soldiers do not receive an annual clothing allowance.  Their unit usually replaces unserviceable uniforms.  However, in my experience, good Soldiers will usually take initiative and come out of pocket for at least one uniform to ensure they are able to maintain a professional appearance at all times.  That all goes back to the 80/20% I mentioned earlier. As for Soldiers in uniform getting bumped up to First Class- unfortunately it is against the military ethics policy to accept the upgrade.  It definitely happens, but it is illegal still the same.
    we don't have a ton of extra money. He has 1 good pair and the other ones are crap. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards