• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Hawaii

? re makeup in HI weather

A friend who's coming to the wedding is an experienced make-up artist (she used to work for MAC and does wedding makeup for friends now on the side), and she has offered to do my makeup for my wedding.  My only reservation is that I'm worried about having someone who's not familiar with the demands of the heat and humidity of Hawaii do my makeup.  My other option would be having Shelly at Mariah's Mane, who'll probably be doing my hair, also do my makeup (probably not airbrushed).

So, my question is, do you think it's more important to go with a local make-up artist (non-airbrushed), or would I be ok to go with my friend instead?

My preference would be my friend b/c she's good and I think she's excited about doing my makeup, but I don't want to risk my makeup melting off my face.  : /

Re: ? re makeup in HI weather

• fabutanfabutan member
    500 Comments
    edited December 2011

In my opinion, I don't think it really matters whether you have a local makeup artist or not.  A good makeup person would account for the humidity and your skin type anyways.  Plus, your friend is probably more familiar with you and your regular makeup style, so she probably has a good idea of your preferences already.  I think it would be so much fun having a friend do this and someone fun to chat with on the day of!

On the other hand, if you're really worried about humidity and have oily skin (like me!), I would highly recommend you consider airbrushing.  I tried it during our e-session and it was truly wonderful!  It's very light-feeling and I didn't have an oily and shiny nose/face like how I usually have with regular makeup.

If you choose not to have airbrushing, I think it should be fine though.  As I said, a good makeup person would take the humidity into account.  It also helps to have blotting strips or powder on standby!  :)

• edited December 2011
    If you're deadset against air brushing (which is really your best option for make-up staying put), I don't think it'll make a difference who does your make-up!
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't have the airbrushing, and my makeup was great! I didn't have an all day event or anything, but I think my makeup would have held up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    2500 Comments Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, as always, everyone!

Just to clarify, I'm not opposed to airbrushing, I just don't think that Shelly does it, and that's who I'm probably going to book to do our hair/makeup.
  • ETweetETweet member
    100 Comments
    edited December 2011
    I used Shelly, who didn't airbrush me, and I was overly thrilled with how well both my hair and makeup held. She, of course, is knowledgable of the humidity and heat and made accomidations for that when doing my make up and even gave me a little touch up kit. I would receommend her to anyone.

On the other hand, if your friend is planning on being there for the whole wedding could she do touch ups throughout the day as needed?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards