Christian Weddings

Alternatives to Dance

Hi ladies!

I recently got engaged, and FI and I are planning a September 2012 wedding. We're both Christians and have agreed that we won't serve alcohol nor have a dance at our wedding.

We do not want our wedding to be boring to the rest of our guests who are not Christian and naturally expect dancing.... Do you have any suggestions for alternative forms of entertainment during the wedding??

We had considered karaoke, but I'm not sure that would work because I know not a lot of our guests would be willing to try it....

Re: Alternatives to Dance

• Will your wedding/reception be outdoors?  If so, you could set up some lawn games.  I wouldn't force it or do anything organized though, just have those things available.  People also do photo booths, and you could have a candy buffet.  Have some background music, and be prepared for your reception to be shorter than others due to the lack of dancing.

Also, just because you're Christians doesn't mean you can't have dancing or alcohol at your reception.  If it's against your beliefs, or you just don't want it, that's fine, but don't make the mistake of thinking Christian = no alcohol or dancing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_alternatives-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:9e8fdee7-6656-42b9-a90b-4012ef816206Post:8c66c7c6-5dfb-4b68-8704-472318040336">Re: Alternatives to Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Will your wedding/reception be outdoors?  If so, you could set up some lawn games.  I wouldn't force it or do anything organized though, just have those things available.  People also do photo booths, and you could have a candy buffet.  Have some background music, and be prepared for your reception to be shorter than others due to the lack of dancing. Also, just because you're Christians doesn't mean you can't have dancing or alcohol at your reception.  <strong>If it's against your beliefs, or you just don't want it, that's fine, but don't make the mistake of thinking Christian = no alcohol or dancing.</strong>
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I agree with this. I don't like to drink alcohol either, but I LOVE dancing. I couldn't imagine my reception without dancing because I have danced my whole life. People dance in church and at Christian concerts, too. If you don't want those things, that's completely fine and I think people will understand. Some suggestions I have heard are setting up a Newlywed kind of game or just having a short reception. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be wonderful. </div>
  • Most of my family doesnt dance, but we know they will be talking to eachother so are not too worried about trying to fill the time...however we ARE having a PINATA!!!!

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_alternatives-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:9e8fdee7-6656-42b9-a90b-4012ef816206Post:3857abe7-c091-467f-88a8-821c23b0ebb5">Re: Alternatives to Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most of my family doesnt dance, but we know they will be talking to eachother so are not too worried about trying to fill the time...however <strong>we ARE having a PINATA!!!!
    </strong>Posted by toothpastechica[/QUOTE]

love this!
  • I would probably just have music and space for people to mingle.  And you should expect that the guests probably won't stay as long as if they were drinking/dancing.  I don't (personally) see a need to plan any extra activities like karaoke - they're adults and will entertain themselves with conversation.

If there's dinner and speeches/toasts that will keep them entertained for a few hours.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_alternatives-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:9e8fdee7-6656-42b9-a90b-4012ef816206Post:b77cd00e-26c9-405c-9eff-716a309d42a3">Re: Alternatives to Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alternatives to Dance : I agree with this. I don't like to drink alcohol either, but I LOVE dancing. I couldn't imagine my reception without dancing because I have danced my whole life. People dance in church and at Christian concerts, too. If you don't want those things, that's completely fine and I think people will understand. Some suggestions I have heard are setting up a Newlywed kind of game or <strong>just having a short reception</strong>. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be wonderful. 
    Posted by AshNoel8[/QUOTE]

After sitting through quite a few BORING receptions as a teen, I vowed that my reception would be only one hour long. And that there would be dancing. :) I've since then decided that a slightly longer reception is ok, but there still will be dancing! Please don't make your guests sit and listen to speeches for three hours like some people! If you do games, that's cool, otherwise, don't drag it out!
    <div>
    </div>
  • I agree with the suggestion that you've gotten here to not worry about providing entertainment.  I've been to lots of weddings with no dancing or alcohol and been to weddings with dancing and alcohol where guests didn't dance/drink.  I think that as long as you have good food, good non-alcoholic drinks and some background music, you can have as nice a reception as if you had those things.  Your guests will just enjoy being there with each other.  Don't worry about the length of your reception.  A longer wedding reception does not equal a good reception.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_alternatives-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:9e8fdee7-6656-42b9-a90b-4012ef816206Post:8c66c7c6-5dfb-4b68-8704-472318040336">Re: Alternatives to Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, just because you're Christians doesn't mean you can't have dancing or alcohol at your reception.  If it's against your beliefs, or you just don't want it, that's fine, <strong>but don't make the mistake of thinking Christian = no alcohol or dancing.
    </strong>Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this! I was born and raised in a good Christian home, and most of our friends and family were also born-again Christians. However, I've never attended a wedding reception without alcohol and dancing. When DH and I got married last year we had a full open bar and our guests were dancing until the venue shut it down because it was over. I've never seen anyone get out of control or dance inappropriately, it is a wedding after all and I believe most people carry themselves with more class at a wedding then they would at their local night club.

However, if you're looking for activities to keep you guests occupied, I don't think you'll need much. Dinner, toasts, and mingling is all you need. I'm not sure how I feel about karoake at a wedding, as I've never seen it done and am not sure if it's the time or the place for that. You could have a photobooth for silly picture opps with your guests, an ice cream station with different toppings, a candy station, a slideshow of you and your FI over the years, etc.. just have great background music and don't be surprised if some people do feel inclined to dance as it is a wedding. What DH and I look forward to the most at weddings is good food, drinks, and dancing! ;0)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_alternatives-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:9e8fdee7-6656-42b9-a90b-4012ef816206Post:fb3f0c98-9dc9-4fda-9253-9325c72a4c77">Re: Alternatives to Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]. However, if you're looking for activities to keep you guests occupied, I don't think you'll need much.<strong> Dinner, toasts, and mingling is all you need</strong>.Posted by SuMmErKuTiE[/QUOTE]

I have been to wedding with no alcohol or dancing and that's exactly what we did. I still had a good time.
  • This is kind of random, but make sure the chairs are comfortable.  At receptions without dancing, guests are sitting longer, so make sure they're comfortable!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with the girls-- no need to provide activities. Just have good food and nice music. 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Thanks for your advice.... maybe I'm overthinking this and should just let the guests have their dinner and mingle during the reception.
  • look up alternatives to dances at receptions at weddingbee.com  there are a lot of good idea i am looking into for myself as well because my FI doesn't feel comfortable with a dance.  so if you want some extra entertainment and fun give it a look.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards