Wedding Etiquette Forum

My job is being eliminated...

Well, found out today that my contractor job is being eliminated due to budget cuts.  Yep, I've known from day one that this was a 4 month contract that I took over from someone else (he got fired) but it had been funded for the past 3 years so I thought "maybe" I would get renewed.  Nope.

The military is running on a Continuing Resolution Authority based on 2012 budget and they get money 1 time per quarter.  One had to go and I was the low one on the totem pole.  I LOVED the job.  It was back at the installation where I retired, and as hokey and cheesy as it sounds, I am so passionate about that place and the Soldiers we take care of.  It is really my hearts desire.  I really thought I would lose it due to Sequestration, but lost it due to the current budget.

DH and I started preparing at the beginning of the year for this.  I actually have all the disposables and decorations for DH's open house in June, my Easter shopping for the kids and gkids is done, been socking some extra "cookie jar" money away just in case.

Dangit - except for the Lieutenant I worked for, I really loved everyone I worked with!  Crap Crap Crap.

Once door closes, another opens - trying to let that sink in.....I LOVED THAT JOB!!!!!

Re: My job is being eliminated...

• Sorry you're losing such a fulfilling job! Hopefully you will find something else you are passionate about very soon. And I'm sure it will be a big help that you have financially prepared for this! Best of luck.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Uhg, sorry! I hope you find a new, fabulous job soon!
  • Fingers crossed that the right door opens soon!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm very sorry.  Best of luck in your job search!!!
  • I'm sorry to hear this kmmssg.  DH is a civilian contractor for the Army.  So far it has been the Air Force and Navy contractors who have been taking the hits here.  Are you trying to stay local or is travel something you would consider?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Sorry to hear that! I feel ya on the military budget cuts, my FI is active duty and it keeps screwing up deployments and schedules around here. Wish the government could get its funding straight! Hope you find a job that is equally rewarding!
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_my-job-is-being-eliminated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c560d8e7-d8c8-410b-b202-f27c81de216bPost:7e86fcc0-ed8d-438c-a998-115b15be6627">Re: My job is being eliminated...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry to hear this kmmssg.  DH is a civilian contractor for the Army.  So far it has been the Air Force and Navy contractors who have been taking the hits here.  Are you trying to stay local or is travel something you would consider?
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

GLB - I'd like to stay local.  DS will start community college in the Fall and I expect it to be a HUGE adjustment for him.  He has had an IEP and the world's most stellar, outstanding Autism team by his side for middle and high school.  For some reason, they don't think they should quit their jobs and follow him to college..dang.  As most 17 yo boys, he is sure "he's got this" but the Autism team and DH and I do expect a rough semester to start with.

The other little hitch in my job search is not finishing my degree.  I was a single mom for  years and felt I needed to concentrate my time on my girls.  Then, as they became teens, their brother appeared out of nowhere and I started all over again.

I'm going to be searching out any veteran's job fairs I can find.  I am 45 minutes from Grand Rapids or Lansing so I'm hoping something comes along that I will really love and not have to take something because it is there.

I am still in the feel sorry for myself  mode.  I decided I could have 24 hours to whine to myself as long as I am not driving anyone else crazy.  That gives me til 3 pm to get it out of my system and come up with some plans.

I did tell DH that I wasn't going to start a new job til after Spring Break since I can have it off with DS and it is his last one.  We may do some day trips or something.
  • Good Luck.  Any chance of using the down time to finish your degree?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Unfortunately no.  I haven't taken any classes in many many years and would basically be starting from scratch.  DS is getting my GI Bill so I am going to have to find something that doesn't require a degree.  After the quick searches for jobs this morning I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to think outside the box.

Appreciate your kind words.
  • I'm so sorry to hear this!  I hope a new job comes up for you soon!
  • I'm sorry kmmssg

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_my-job-is-being-eliminated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c560d8e7-d8c8-410b-b202-f27c81de216bPost:8dc4ae5e-f49b-448b-b340-a8d8086a0351">Re: My job is being eliminated...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My job is being eliminated... : GLB - I'd like to stay local.  DH will start community college in the Fall and I expect it to be a HUGE adjustment for him.  He has had an IEP and the world's most stellar, outstanding Autism team by his side for middle and high school.  For some reason, they don't think they should quit their jobs and follow him to college..dang.  As most 17 yo boys, he is sure "he's got this" but the Autism team and DH and I do expect a rough semester to start with.   The other little hitch in my job search is not finishing my degree.  I was a single mom for  years and felt I needed to concentrate my time on my girls.  Then, as they became teens, their brother appeared out of nowhere and I started all over again. I'm going to be searching out any veteran's job fairs I can find.  I am 45 minutes from Grand Rapids or Lansing so I'm hoping something comes along that I will really love and not have to take something because it is there. I am still in the feel sorry for myself  mode.  I decided I could have 24 hours to whine to myself as long as I am not driving anyone else crazy.  That gives me til 3 pm to get it out of my system and come up with some plans. I did tell DH that I wasn't going to start a new job til after Spring Break since I can have it off with DS and it is his last one.  We may do some day trips or something.
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

whoa - that was supposed to say DS is starting community college, not DH!  I"m gonna fix that.
  • So sorry to hear!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
  • I'm so sorry to hear that - good luck, and know there are many people going thru this! fingers crossed for you -BB
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards