Attire & Accessories Forum

Neck tie vs. Bow tie

The guys have only looked at neck ties so far and didn't see much they liked (our main color is lavender with some accents of deep purple). I suggested they look at bow ties. What do you prefer on your groom and groomsmen? Any ideas on where to shop for either would be appreciated!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Neck tie vs. Bow tie

• It's formal enough that they will definitely need something. They did pick out a neck tie, I don't really like it, and I think they would like to find something they like more.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • try thetiebar.com
    imageimage
    PS Sig Challenge: Rings
    Sept 2011 Sig Challenge: First Kiss
    Anniversary
  • I voted necktie because I think bow ties look silly.
  • I left the neck tie vs. bow tie decision up to my FI to make.  He preferred bow ties for a very formal event, but as we were going for more semi-formal, he opted for neck ties.  I don't think bow ties look sily, but I do understand if they aren't everyone's style preference.  Guys who are used to dressing up should be able to wear either type of tie and look just fine.  Guys who don't dress up very often, a bow tie would look very out of character on them.  Just my 2 cents! :-)
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Thanks for the help! I sent the boys those links.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When we married it was our second time around and our 2 teen boys were best man and groomsmen, we only had 2 attendants.

Neither one of them would have anyting to do with our wedding color which was deep lavendar. So we had them in black bow ties with white stephanotis, with a lavendar stem. They loved the bow ties.

My groom purchased a silk straight tie from Men's Warehouse and he looked spectacular in it. The contrast between the boys and the goom looked great!
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I prefer neck ties and don't like the look of bow ties at all unless it's a black tie wedding. My H and his GM's wore neckties and vests. H wore a white tie and vest to match me, the best man wore a gold tie and vest to match the MOH, and the other GM's ties and vests matched the BM's dresses.

Have you looked at tux rental shops for their different color schemes that would coordinate with the girls in the BP?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_fff-57?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:ced0b7ae-4d89-4781-b132-7be19fbd6af5Post:4f5af3bc-5280-4c63-8e2c-c865e50b62f9">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont' think it's drama. I think it's a misunderstanding with a touch of peronal preferences. I understood Julie point in the thread and I don't think she meant to call you personally cheap. I think I got an amazing "deal" on my photographer. <strong>Sometimes you pay for the "name" of the business just as much as the service. But that is the value they put on it.</strong>
    Posted by DFWIndian[/QUOTE]
    This.

And sometimes it's not even the name you're paying for so much (I hadn't heard of half the vendors here when I first started) but what they can do.  I value that.  I paid for it, myself as well. 
  • I like a necktie on certain kinds of guys. But I loooove a necktie on a man(provided he can tie a proper knot by himself in a style appropriate for the occasion). My FI ties a really sexy tie with his uniform when he goes to work. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards