Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Signing the marriage license?

For those that are already married, did you actually sign anything after the wedding ceremony?  

I was so excited to sign as a witness when I was MOH for my friend, but she showed me that there was no where to actually signed (they signed when they were at the courthouse).  Is this true for Texas?

Re: Signing the marriage license?

• edited December 2011
    I believe our pastor, MOH, and best man signed ours.   There is no place for the bride and groom to sign though.
  • edited December 2011
    That's weird that there wasn't a place for the bride and groom!  For my friend there was only a place for the officiant to sign.
  • edited December 2011
    My Uncle is the only one that signed ours.  He said in Texas you don't need witnesses or anyone else to sign.  If the officiant signs it that is all the state requires.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours only has a place for the officiant to fill out and sign...then once that is done we bring it back to the county clerk and they sign it. Then its official.

At least that was what my understanding was when we picked it up last week :)
  • edited December 2011
    I was an MOH and was really bummed that I didn't get to sign anything... Oh well...
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That's weird... I wonder if it varies by county?

It may not have been required, I'm not sure....but I'm 100% sure that there were 2 witness spaces and MOH and Best Man signed it.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I know my daughter signed ours because I have a picture of her doing so--and Ben's brother signed ours too I think.
  • edited December 2011
    I FINALLY got my license back yesterday!!!  YAY!  Our officiant was the only one that signed it.
    edited December 2011
    Oh and we signed ours before the ceremony.  I think you are legally married right then and the rest is just for show.
  • cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh...why do they insist on making things like this complicated haha :)
    edited December 2011
    Yeah we didn't sign ours either just the witnesses. I don't think they even HAD to but I honestly don't remember!
  • edited December 2011
    We went and grabbed our photogs to get pics when we signed and then found out the B&G don't sign it:(  The only person that signed ours was the officiant.
  • angieandjamesangieandjames member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just got ours yesterday, and I was shocked to see that we don't even sign it!  The officiant has to sign it, and the witnesses are optional.  Not sure if it varies by county or not, but we got ours in Dallas County.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, that's really interesting.  I thought it was weird, but it sounds like it's the norm for Texas licenses now.
  • lesalyriclesalyric member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am glad you posted this! I was over on weddingbee and saw someone signing their license and had a mini-freakout that maybe we were supposed to sign ours and didn't?!? :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_signing-marriage-license?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:0ae1e597-7c40-4e46-abf1-4f5f1fe944b4Post:ae808cae-905c-48ad-8b5a-0d7ede16b128">Re: Signing the marriage license?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am glad you posted this! I was over on weddingbee and saw someone signing their license and had a mini-freakout that maybe we were supposed to sign ours and didn't?!? :)
    Posted by lesalyric[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm having a mini-freak out because we did sign ours, along with our officiate; but not the witness. Uh oh, is our marriage legit?
  • edited December 2011
    In another state at the courthouse there was a spot for the officiant, bride, groom, and witnesses. At my friends' wedding two months ago, here in Texas, I believe there was only a space for the minister...the bride and groom's signatures were only needed when applying for the license. I was kind of hoping I would have the honor of signing it, being the main MOH and also knowing in a different state that there were witness signatures, but Not In Texas...stupid Texas! :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Lauren, it depends on the county and the officient. You don't technically have to sign it for Dallas County. I think in Stephanie's case either Marty or the Rabbi decided to have the witnesses sign it pre ceremony.
  • tnickel06tnickel06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah we didn't sign ours. We just signed this book thing that the church has that keeps track of the marriages. Both DH and I, and the BMs and GMs signed this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards