Wedding Reception Forum

Candy Bar Do's & Don'ts!

Hey All!!

I am hoping to do a candy bar for my wedding...any one out there who's done them that has some advice for do's and don'ts (purchasing candy, placement at the reception etc)? Any thing would be helpful!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Candy Bar Do's & Don'ts!

• vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Make sure you have tongs.  I went to 3 weddings last year that had candy bars and not one had tongs or scoops.  It was unappetizing to see everybody stick their paws directly into the jars.  Gross.  
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • provide bags for people to take some in a small bag...

• My aunt went to a wedding reception were the candy table was set and ready when the guests arrived. She said all the candy was gone before the cake was cut! She let me know (since I'm have one too) not to put the candy out till after the cake is cut.
  • I would do like all of the above said... Dont let the guest get candy till towards the end or it will all be gone before you know it
    RSVP: AUGUST 18,2010 image 256 Are Invited image 191 Are ready to Party!
    image 65 Will be missing out image 0 Where Are you? We can't wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_candy-bar-dos-donts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:eb1ee00a-e9ae-4f30-9797-9e8ac3464999Post:4956087f-fbc1-4f85-8dfa-f9d01190f7b1">Re: Candy Bar Do's & Don'ts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Make sure you have tongs.  I went to 3 weddings last year that had candy bars and not one had tongs or scoops.  It was unappetizing to see everybody stick their paws directly into the jars.  Gross.  
    Posted by vsgal[/QUOTE]

Wow.  Gross.  I cannot believe that nobody caught this in the planning or setting up, especially 3 different times!  I am a major germaphobe and this is terrible. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2010
    DON'T buy too much candy.  1/4 lb. per person is plenty.
    DO offer lots of variety, jars of varying heights, etc.  A candy buffet is a decor item as well as an edible favor and should be pleasing to the eye as well as the palate.
    DO a mockup of the candy buffet before the wedding so make sure you have enough candy, you can see how you want to have it set up, etc.
    DO provide some sort of sugar-free candy for diabetics.
    DON'T have it out beforehand. We put out ours after cake cutting.
    DO have tongs or scoops and bags or boxes for guests to take home the candy.  Also remember the opening and shape of the jar must be big enough to allow people to scoop candy as it gets to the bottom.
    DON'T think it will be cheap.  It is easily several hundred dollars.   
    DO shop online and compare prices.  I found metrocandy.com to be the cheapest.
  • Don't put it in an out-of-the-way corner so that no one knows it's there, unless you want lots and lots of leftovers.
  • Make sure you buy enough candy to fill the jars all the way,having a half full jar looks pretty cheap.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_candy-bar-dos-donts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:eb1ee00a-e9ae-4f30-9797-9e8ac3464999Post:4b9d9624-d410-4683-bed8-a35c1e342999">Re: Candy Bar Do's & Don'ts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't put it in an out-of-the-way corner so that no one knows it's there, unless you want lots and lots of leftovers.
    Posted by skythe[/QUOTE]

Agreed, this happen to a friend of mine. She had a very lovely candy bar that we spend HOURS hand picking the M&M colors and the venue placed the table in the back corner.. She had TONS of leftover candy plus the leftover colors she didnt us from candy bags..
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic width=220>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only thing I didn't notice already being said was to be mindful of nut allergies.  If you aren't sure, it might be a decent idea to ask your FI or FMIL about their side of the family and ask your side yourself.  If anyone has the allergy, you might have to nix the idea, or go with gummy candies instead of anything that might contain nuts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was in a wedding that had a candy bar and my suggestion would be to have someone man the table or provide small bags because they set it up and it was all gone in ten mins. Several guest not only filled thier bags to the brim they took several bags. More than 3/4 of the wedding guest didnt get any.

There are actual companies that will come in and set it up with decorations to match your decor, provide the candies of your choice, man the table then take down afterwards. For one price they do it all. Might be a better option to look into.
  • also make sure your venue is ok with jars of candy...the place we are thinking about having our wedding said that we couldn't have a candy bar unless all the candy was individually packaged (for health code reasons i guess).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards