Chit Chat

Deciding on colors

I'm having a hard time figuring out colors for our wedding. I have about 4 color combinations that I like but none of them have really made me think that they are the colors. How did you all decide on colors? 

Re: Deciding on colors

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_deciding-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:fa17752c-4d4f-40f7-942a-9a8670c2bc05Post:a3b7ae7d-8ac4-47a1-892b-150837216de0">Deciding on colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having a hard time figuring out colors for our wedding. I have about 4 color combinations that I like but none of them have really made me think that they are the colors. How did you all decide on colors? 
    Posted by redharedsunshine[/QUOTE]

Haha I think most people just pick the colors they like. Do you have a feel you'd like for your wedding? Do you have your venue picked out? What are yours and his favorite colors? What colors have you considered? When is your wedding?
  • I kept going back and forth between two colors. What made me decide was when I chose the girl's dresses. The style and the color together were perfect and my whole vision came into focus then. The accent colors I didn't have for a little longer until I looked at enough flowers to really pin point what I wanted. So I say 'shop' around. Look at the knot's pics of weddings in different color choices and see what speaks to you.
    Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had no idea at first.  I bought a couple of bridal magazines and started browsing, thinking that I would know it when I saw it.  This was true - I saw the combination in an article and went with it from there.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Pick a venue - see what they have for linens, tables, chair sashes etc, it could be that you could get an awesome deal with colors they already have in storage!

Go to a florist, see what colors pop out at you!

Start looking at color combinations in magazines, on the internet - google images helps, other weddings on the knot or the wedding channel, wedding bee, brides, etc

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • I had the hardest time deciding on what colors I wanted. You wouldn't think that such a simple thing would be so difficult. I asked my mom and sister (my MOH) to help me figure something out. My mom helped me work out how to use what I wanted and make it look good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When is your wedding?  I let the season guide my color decision.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    173 Invites are in the mail! image
    58 are ready to party! image
    32 are missing out. image
    83 are nowhere to be found. image
    RSVP date is November 1.
  • loritajeanloritajean member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2010

My mom made my dress, and it as going to be white. When we got to the fabric store, I saw this gorgeous champagne colored lace that HAD to be mine. That's where it started :)

My bridesmaids wanted black dresses, and I found some great ones online, so that was that.

We waffled a bit on an accent color, but when we saw how dark rose petals looked on the tables around our lantern centerpieces... the fiance insisted it be red or fuschia. This was perfect bc I'd actually found a fuschia bouquet here on the Knot that I hadn't quite gotten out of my head!

So there it is... cream, black and fuschia.

I agree with the other commenters. You just have to see your venue, pick out the dress, choose a bouquet, etc, and it will all come together.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At first I was thinking of a fall themed wedding, and picked brown with red & burnt orange accents. Then when we set our date, it is before any of the leaves will have started to turn, so the theme didn't work out, but we kept the colours. FI really loves red and orange so it made sense. As everyone said though, shopping around really helps. While I knew what colours I wanted it all came together for me when I was looking at invitations, saw the colours together, and could really work from there.
  • DH brought up a black and white wedding before we were even discussing the possibility of getting married ourselves.  (I think we were talking about a friend who was engaged.)  I never considered another color combination.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    It'll probably fall together when you start looking at invites and BM dresses and the like. You'll start to notice a trend for combos you like.

For me I picked blue and orange. Blue- he calls me a nickname based on my blue eyes and has ever since we started dating. Orange- we met at school and the school colors are black and orange. Plus I just really like bright contrasting colors.

Otherwise, I found I liked a lot of BM dresses in purple, and I've seen a couple other combinations I like, like chartreuse and turqoise. I ran with the blue and orange (probably mostly a sky blue and sherbert) since it had significance to us.
    And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
    June siggy challenge!
  • Our wedding colors are scarlet, gray, and a turquoise color.  We picked out the red and blue prior to our venue, but we are getting married at The Ohio State University, so now it fits perfectly. 
    We chose our colors one day, shortly after getting engaged when we were just looking through photos on the Knot.  We saw this picture:

and loved the way it looked.  So that was it. 

My suggestion is to just keep in mind things that you like, and if you find it, SAVE the picture, so you can go back to it.  Inspiration can be found everywhere, you'd be surprised.  Also, you can go to a fabric store, and just start mixing and matching, starting with one color you feel like you NEED to have!

Good luck!

• Mine is his favorite color which is blue. and my favorite color which is pink. the actual colors are navy and different shades of pink. but that is how we picked.
    "To my Husband: I pray that you never have to steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal I pray you steal away my sorrows, if you must lie I pray you lie with me all the days of my life, and if you must cheat I pray you cheat death so I never have to live a day without you" -Irish Wedding Toast Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • After you've asked your BMs, ask them what colors they'd like to wear.  I'd like teal, but I'm open to blue or green, and it'll depend on what my BMs like better.
  • I decided on colors with the season basically. We chose to get married in October. Red is my favorite color (besides pink) so I chose Apple Red from David's Bridal. I guess orange is another wedding color for me because my flowers are going to be orange gerber daisies. I am also going to have some red gerbers in as well. But just because I did red in the fall does not mean that every bride has to. Chocolate brown and dark purple would also be good for Fall. I've seen pool blue used for summer and a marine blue or darker blue used for fall. Just depends what you like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards