New Jersey

How many months out did you book hotel blocks?

We've still got a year to go, but people are saying I should pick a hotel and block some rooms soon. Our reception is at The Atrium in West Orange and we're looking into the Wilshire, Westminster and Marriot in the area. Is it too soon to block rooms at these places? And, should I go visit them and meet with someone there first? Not sure how this works.

Re: How many months out did you book hotel blocks?

• we booked at the beginning of march for our november wedding. definitely go and meet with some different hotels/see the facilities. you've got plenty of time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    205 invited image
    160 are ready to party image
    45 are missing out image
    0 can't find their mailbox image
    RSVP Deadline: October 1, 2012
  • We blocked about a year out and were given a great rate because of it.  I don't think it's ever too soon.  Our hotel told us that if the rooms started booking up, they would let us know so we could set more aside.

We didn't go look at the hotel, but they gave us that option.  I just talked to their specific wedding block person over the phone and email. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh! Part of the reason we didn't go look at it was because they were able to send us power points of the suites that we booked.  I may have gone to look if they didn't send us so many pictures. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it depends on the time of the year and area.  We booked in July for our april wedding.  We tried to add more rooms in December and it was full.  I then called around to other hotels in the area and they were all booked up as well.  Paniced a bit but kept calling and we were able to add 5 more rooms in February. 
  • sh228955sh228955 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    We booked in January for our December wedding.  It was also great becuase we were able to give our guests the hotel information in the Save the Date.  It was good that guests could get their plans in order early, but it will also be really great for us to know if we need to add more rooms before the invitation goes out.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We used the Westminster. They were great to work with. The price was reasonable and they offered a shuttle. We also got a free suite. I believe we booked it maybe 3 months prior, around the time we sent out the invitations.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We're over 15 months out and we booked ours already. basically, because it's free! It was one of those things that we could get out of the way now and less to worry about when things start getting crazy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We booked ours when we were a year out.  Truthfully we looked at quite a few hotels and we are also getting married at the Atrium in West Orange!!  We ended up picking the Best Western Executive Inn and Suites in Fairfield. The Westminster and Wilshire will get booked up fast because they usually have their own weddings going on.  I looked at the hotels in Parisspany that the Atrium had recommended but none of htem worked out.  One of them had just flooded and the restaurant and bar were closed. Another was not calling me back and the third didn't have a shuttle for our guests.  I love our hotel now!! I'm so glad I started looking when I did because something I thought that would take me a day took me a few weeks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_how-many-months-out-did-you-book-hotel-blocks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:b6f222a9-139b-41d6-a92b-775a0d72aad0Post:0568a558-934e-41b2-be75-ea0b0cc19732">Re: How many months out did you book hotel blocks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're over 15 months out and we booked ours already. basically, because it's free! It was one of those things that we could get out of the way now and less to worry about when things start getting crazy.
    Posted by lconoran[/QUOTE]

THIS exactly.  No money involved and it's one thing off our list.  We got our block settled 14 months out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm getting married next October and just blocked my rooms this past Friday to get it out of the way and done with. Also, I locked in 2012 rates which are going to increase in 2013, which was great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards