Not Engaged Yet

Got Gripes?

I am so bummed this morning. I just found out that my furnace needs to be fixed...at the tune of $1200. Ouch! I've been saving like crazy so that we'd be debt free with this wedding. I was counting on using my bonus this year for spending money for the honeymoon, but I guess it's going towards heat now. I realize this is the cost of home ownership...but did It really have to happen 4 months before the wedding? Ugh.

What's bumming you out today?

Re: Got Gripes?

• That SUCKS. I'm sorry you have to spend your hard-earned money on that :-(

I don't have any good reason to be bummed, I've just not been feeling this whole "work" thing for the past few days. I feel like I'm dragging my feet on getting every little thing done lately and I just need to snap out of it! I have no plans for tonight other than going to the gym, so I'm going to try to catch up with all of my work-related to-do's then.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I want my dad to be as angry as I am that the staff at the rehab facility let my mom fall and hit her head yesterday. She hadn't gone to the bathroom in four days, so they gave her a laxative then wouldn't answer her call light. She gave up and walked to the bathroom herself but fell and hit her head. Fortunately, she hit the right side rather than the left, so she didn't bust open the probably 40+ stitches holding her scalp together or dislodge the piece of her skull that hasn't completely fused back from surgery, but seriously? That could have gone so. wrong.

If you give a post-op brain surgery patient who has left side weakness a laxative after she hasn't gone to the bathroom for four days, shouldn't you kinda be on top of it when she rings her call light?

• I'm bummed over the whole process of buying this house we still haven't heard back from seller about our list of thing to be repaired after the inspection.  We even shaved down our list quite a bit.  The sellers are being so difficult over every point.  I just want to wake up in the new house already.

I hate big expensive home repairs at inconvenient times.  It always seems to work out that way too.  Sorry Allusive!

Now for some reason I want grapes.....

Anniversary

• Astillwell: They should have been on top of that! That's a serious slip up. Are they going to do anything about it?

My only grip is that my boss needs to stop being a cheap pain in the butt and hire three more people. We had two girls up and quit a week ago and another girl never shows up. One more time and she's fired. Thus he's been having me and Ash pick up all the slack. No bonus, just an, "Oh hey, I've added 40 hours on to your schedual." Honestly I'm working double over time! I need sleep and need to catch up on my online classes. -_-*
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-gripes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bfba65b8-031a-409e-ada5-9bc140c46072Post:cc662b81-b454-47c7-b555-7c7b9bbfda3e">Re: Got Gripes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Astillwell: They should have been on top of that! That's a serious slip up. Are they going to do anything about it?
    Posted by Lilyrose4242[/QUOTE]

She went for a CT and it was negative for concussion, but they had to keep her in the hospital overnight. My dad said that he's not going to do anything and is leaving it up to my mom to decide if she wants to lodge a formal complaint.

• allusive-sorry to hear about the furnace, I have the same luck.  I just paid off all of my CC's and I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop and something major to break in our house.

ahstill-I would flip shlt if that happened to my mom.  I work in healthcare so maybe I'm more tuned into things like that but I would not be happy about my mother falling.

danser-buying a house sucks, the worse part of the process for me was the repairs required after the inspection.  After the seller got the estimate from her contractor she balked at the repairs.  They were needed and she finally caved in and did it.  But still, I was stressed.

My gripe today?  Where do I begin?  I'm finally dug out of my house, but have about three feet of wet snow on my roof over my kitchen.  I'm going to lose my gutters (eventually) and my pool.  Neither will be covered by homeowners.  The roof on the kitchen will be covered I'm not risking my bf or myself breaking our necks going on the roof and shoveling off snow. 

My manager texted me yesterday to see if I was coming back to work today when I was stuck at home.  I didn't answer her back because 1) I'm not salaried so technically I don't have to answer back and b) I think management texting employees is rude and lazy.  My dad had 150+ people report to him (less than my manager) and when something major happened (ie: snowstorm) my dad would lock himself in the office in our home and call each employee to see who could/couldn't make it to work or who needed rides etc.  This morning my manager called me and said "why didn't you answer my text?" I told her that I didn't get the text.  She continuted to tell me that I should check my phone more often.  Ugh. 
    Another gripe (sorry): BF is acting weird but I think it's because we've been cooped up together since Friday afternoon and still no sexytime.  Ugh.  Annoying.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-gripes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bfba65b8-031a-409e-ada5-9bc140c46072Post:ef644238-8de7-4b84-babe-a963b6a06c59">Re: Got Gripes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ahstill-I would flip shlt if that happened to my mom.  I work in healthcare so maybe I'm more tuned into things like that but I would not be happy about my mother falling.
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm a nurse, so it's making me really angry. My dad doesn't understand why I'm so upset because he says that everything worked out for the best, but I can just think of what <em>could</em> have happened and it's really bad.

• allusive - I am scared stiff of something like that happening to our home.  we are aggressively paying off all our student loan debt, and we have a few thousand dollars in savings, but we've gotten word that my job (federal gov) is most likely going to furlough us at least one day a pay period starting March/April...  so I am starting to worry, naturally.  we're already living "rice and beans" but I can totally see something happening to the house or our cars.  :(  hopefully something comes through for you to make up the difference. 

I am annoyed at my Accounting class.  in theory, it's easy, but I am having trouble actually doing the homework and getting the correct answers.  I study a lot (at least 2-3 hrs a day) at work during lunch and in the evening, and I have a test in the next week that I am not ready for.  this is really important to me to do well since it's my first semester back in school since 2009, and I feel like I am just not getting it.  :(

I am also annoyed that I am 26 years old and still break out around my period.  I mean, COME ON.  it sucks.
  • Allusive - that really sucks! I'm sorry :(

Coco - I understand the break-out frustration. I'm only 22 but still I hate that I have horrible break-outs around my period.

My gripe is one of my co-workers. He is always an a$$ and it's so frustrating to be around him at all. He is a jerk to his students, constantly sexually harasses on of my other co-workers (I've told him a million times to report it!), and just in general always puts people down. He makes the office a toxic environment to be in which is unfortunate because otherwise I really enjoy hanging out in the office with my co-workers.

• Still - Wow, I would also flip my shlt if they happened to my Mom. I don't understand how they could have ignored her, especially knowing they gave her something that would make her have to use a bathroom once it fully kicked in.

Coco - I'm in the same boat as you. It's not TOTM now but, my chin broke up 2 weeks ago when it was. Frown

Buddy - I wouldn't have answered either. My previous boss used to send us group texts and would ask us random questions about work which I thought was really unprofessional, considering sometimes some employees would reply back and we would all see their responses. Sorry to hear about your house stuff...*hugs*

My gripes for today are that I have to work until 5 PM today instead of 3:30. I just want to go home and veg out and watch the last LOTR movie with BF.

I've been super naseous for a few months the 2nd week of my BC. I know I'm not pregnant and it only is for 2-3 days the 2nd week...and it's weird because I started the BC I'm on (Nuvaring) last March so I've been on it almost a year. I asked my doctor if this is normal and she said it is for some women and asked if I wanted her to write me a new script for something else but, I really like not having to remember to take a pill every day so not sure if I should wait it out or not. The guy in the cube behind me is eating something that is making me want to barf. Undecided
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm wicked annoyed with our insurance agent. She said the company would be sending us a check, and we haven't received it yet. So I've emailed her asking about it, my husband has emailed her too, we've talked to her about checking on the status of it and I texted her asking about it. And still no word on where or what is up with that damn check. DO YOUR JOB, agent.

Stillwell! Hugs and kisses for your pretty mom.

• Still- I'm so sorry about your mom, glad she is ok.  I would be really pissed though if I were you. 
    Buddy- the process is so annoying. The sellers feel we are getting the house for such a low price that they refuse to do anything further to it. They did agree to 5 or so items but they ignored the major ones of course. I don't want to have to walk away from this house.

Why is this day dragging it feels like it's 8pm???

Anniversary

• Today hasn't had too many frustrations. I don't think my gripes could compare to some of these.

Still- I can't imagine how you and your family must feel regarding the situation with your mother. I would be absolutely mortified to find out something like that happened to my mother.

Danser- I know how you feel, I'm ready to go home too. All I've been doing is catching up from my sick day yesterday and I haven't been able to actually get to my work that I needed to do today. It stresses me out.

A few gripes on my mind today are that my boss can be a real jerk sometimes and it's starting to get on my nerves because he acts this way only when we are around others and not just when it's him and I. Also, my office is very segregated in that we all have very different tasks so we don't communicate all that much. So, I feel very isolated and I would love it so much if I could just do my work from home. It's super annoying using my gas to come to an office that doesn't really function as an office.
  • coco-I'm 32 and still break out.  I had a Mirena done in June and I was breaking out and getting really oily skin until after Thanksgiving.  I don't get a period but I still get symptoms of PMS and it sucks.

ahstill-I'm surprised a SW hasn't contacted your dad in regards to your mom falling.  It sucks that she had to spend another unnecesary night in the hospital ugh.  My dad was in the hospital this past summer and there was a possibility he had to go to an inpatient rehab unit (outside of the hospital).  I asked the SW where she would send her dad (I didn't know which places were good in the area) she gave the name of this one place and when I went there, it smelled.  One thing I've learned from nurses is that if an inpatient rehab or SNF smells RUN!  My mom was like "oh I would've picked it".  The SW came back and asked what I thought of the place and I said she must really not like her dad because the place was disgusting.  I thought she was going to drop dead from shock.  I think both of us working in healthcare always think of the "what-ifs".  I'm not even clinical and have that attitude of "prepare for the worse hope for the best"

Danser-Same thing with my house, I got her down to about $20,000 below listing price (which was a deal since the house was appraised $30,000 what I paid for the house).  All of the things I asked for after the inspection were issues that were pointed out by the appraiser that would've been FHA requirements for the loan so she had the choice of take care of it now or later, but if she wanted to close on the deal she had to take care of it.  So, if you're going the FHA route and the seller is nit picking on repairs, just let him/her know that the same issues will arise during the appraisal for the mortgage.  FHA is really picky they wanted her to paint the concrete foundation where there were a few chips.

And today is draggggingggg

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • The selling price, our buying price and our appraisal were not very far off from each other.  I just want to own this home.

So I just bought a box of girl scout cookies off of my co worker, and I bought a box of my favorites Carmel de Lites.  When did the stop calling them Samoas?????????????????

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-gripes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bfba65b8-031a-409e-ada5-9bc140c46072Post:a246d63c-9d7f-4a14-a9f2-24060b2111d9">Re: Got Gripes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The selling price, our buying price and our appraisal were not very far off from each other.  I just want to own this home. So I just bought a box of girl scout cookies off of my co worker, and I bought a box of my favorites Carmel de Lites.  <strong>When did the stop calling them Samoas?????????????????</strong>
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]

Say What?!?!?!? I didn't know this happened...that's so sad. Oh well, they will always been Somoas in my heart.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-gripes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bfba65b8-031a-409e-ada5-9bc140c46072Post:a246d63c-9d7f-4a14-a9f2-24060b2111d9">Re: Got Gripes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The selling price, our buying price and our appraisal were not very far off from each other.  I just want to own this home. So I just bought a box of girl scout cookies off of my co worker, and I bought a box of my favorites Carmel de Lites.  When did the stop calling them Samoas?????????????????

<div>I had heard that they changed the name but the form I filled out yesterday still said SAMOAS! </div>

• we are selling GS cookies and they are still called Samoas?

re: breaking out around TOTM:  I just want to be a freaking adult already.  my skin isn't getting the message.
  • The name of the cookies depend on the baker that made them.  There are 2 Girl Scout cookies bakers.  I grew up with Caramel DeLites and Peanut Butter Patties, but found out in college that people from NY and NJ called them Samoas and Tagalongs.  Mind = blown.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-gripes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bfba65b8-031a-409e-ada5-9bc140c46072Post:7a6b0ac3-4211-4c86-b593-fba909bdde43">Re: Got Gripes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The name of the cookies depend on the baker that made them.  There are 2 Girl Scout cookies bakers.  I grew up with Caramel DeLites and Peanut Butter Patties, but found out in college that people from NY and NJ called them Samoas and Tagalongs.  Mind = blown.
    Posted by K Everdeen12[/QUOTE]

I seriously had not ever heard this before. I've lived in MD, VA, CO and CA...and they've always been tagalongs and Samoas. I'd be so confused if I saw the other names.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-gripes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bfba65b8-031a-409e-ada5-9bc140c46072Post:af595026-f8d1-431e-9226-bc2e803f4250">Re: Got Gripes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Got Gripes? : I seriously had not ever heard this before. I've lived in MD, VA, CO and CA...and they've always been tagalongs and Samoas. I'd be so confused if I saw the other names.
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

Same here...born in Pittsburgh and now living in Seattle and they've always been Samoas and Tagalongs to me.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-gripes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bfba65b8-031a-409e-ada5-9bc140c46072Post:51ade649-da78-40d8-9ff3-d875faf05d1a">Re: Got Gripes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]coco-I'm 32 and still break out.  I had a Mirena done in June and I was breaking out and getting really oily skin until after Thanksgiving.  I don't get a period but I still get symptoms of PMS and it sucks. ahstill-I'm surprised a SW hasn't contacted your dad in regards to your mom falling.  It sucks that she had to spend another unnecesary night in the hospital ugh.  My dad was in the hospital this past summer and there was a possibility he had to go to an inpatient rehab unit (outside of the hospital).  I asked the SW where she would send her dad (I didn't know which places were good in the area) she gave the name of this one place and when I went there, it smelled. <strong> One thing I've learned from nurses is that if an inpatient rehab or SNF smells RUN!</strong>  My mom was like "oh I would've picked it".  The SW came back and asked what I thought of the place and I said she must really not like her dad because the place was disgusting.  I thought she was going to drop dead from shock.  I think both of us working in healthcare always think of the "what-ifs".  I'm not even clinical and have that attitude of "prepare for the worse hope for the best" Danser-Same thing with my house, I got her down to about $20,000 below listing price (which was a deal since the house was appraised $30,000 what I paid for the house).  All of the things I asked for after the inspection were issues that were pointed out by the appraiser that would've been FHA requirements for the loan so she had the choice of take care of it now or later, but if she wanted to close on the deal she had to take care of it.  So, if you're going the FHA route and the seller is nit picking on repairs, just let him/her know that the same issues will arise during the appraisal for the mortgage.  FHA is really picky they wanted her to paint the concrete foundation where there were a few chips. And today is draggggingggg
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

OMG, I could not agree with this statement more.   I've worked in healthcare on the sales side for over 12 years, and started in Long Term Care sales.  I've seen ( or should say smelled) the good, the bad, and the ugly.  If its run properly it should not smell.  Mind you, I understand there are smells to healthcare and its treatments, but there is a difference to that and to a place that smells like urine 24/7 because they are too lazy or understaffed to change patients out of their underpads.

Still-  I wish nothing but the best for your mother right now.  Its awful that happened to her.  I hope her care improves and they understand her family is not naive to the type of care she should truly be getting.  II've been there before with my dad.  I got to the point I was so unhappy with his treatment at my home town hospital, I sat my mother down and told her I was going to intervene with his primary care physician because the doc was an idiot.  I ended up getting my dad transferred to a much larger hospital where they were able to manage his care at a much higher level.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • My birthday was yesterday and I turned old.  So there's that.   FBIL asked his wife for a divorce Sunday, so there's that too.  Kind of makes birthday and wedding plans feel not so important at the moment.

It seems odd to watch a marriage fall apart like that, and at the same time be so happy about the start of a new one.

FI and I have talked a lot about it recently because they were having issues.  Its scary to watch it happen to someone so close while your trying to be so happy.  I'd be crazy to say it doesn't hit close to home, and make you say what if?  I've been there before.  It happened to me once.   It brings up a lot of ugly thoughts from years ago. 

I know they will both be ok.  I am.  I am actually much better now.  It just sucks to watch the movie play out.

photo bridalparty.jpg
  • oskie&grungieoskie&grungie member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013
    My biggest gripe right now is no car! I spun out on ice and damaged the back tire and axel. Insurance will help me pay to fix it but their repair shop hasn't called me back yet to schedule an appointment. I've called the claims officer twice and the repair shop 3 times. I'm getting very frustrated. We have Oscar's truck but I miss my car! Sad Panda... Eta: I hate mobile knotting it always eats my format! Sorry!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-gripes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bfba65b8-031a-409e-ada5-9bc140c46072Post:7a6b0ac3-4211-4c86-b593-fba909bdde43">Re: Got Gripes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The name of the cookies depend on the baker that made them.  There are 2 Girl Scout cookies bakers.  I grew up with Caramel DeLites and Peanut Butter Patties, but found out in college that people from NY and NJ called them Samoas and Tagalongs.  Mind = blown.
    I always lived in NY/NJ area they were samoas as far as I knew....

Anniversary

• Well, now I have a gripe.

Just got a call from my mom to let me know that my grandpa's cancer is definitely back. He's getting a biopsy soon to find out exactly what they're dealing with, but it's definitely going to requre some sort of treatment. He's already dealing with having to move out of his house while it gets fixed (floors and basement destroyed from hurricane Sandy), having a son (my uncle) with tons of work and possibly drug-related problems, and now this? 

He's such a great man and wonderful grandfather, and I hate that he has to deal with this now :-(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-gripes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bfba65b8-031a-409e-ada5-9bc140c46072Post:27b7115f-b741-4fce-84a0-02869c43bad6">Re: Got Gripes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want my dad to be as angry as I am that the staff at the rehab facility let my mom fall and hit her head yesterday. She hadn't gone to the bathroom in four days, so they gave her a laxative then wouldn't answer her call light. She gave up and walked to the bathroom herself but fell and hit her head. Fortunately, she hit the right side rather than the left, so she didn't bust open the probably 40+ stitches holding her scalp together or dislodge the piece of her skull that hasn't completely fused back from surgery, but seriously? That could have gone so. wrong. If you give a post-op brain surgery patient who has left side weakness a laxative after she hasn't gone to the bathroom for four days, shouldn't you kinda be on top of it when she rings her call light?
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

This. Is. Awful. 

I am so sorry.  Glad your mom is okay.  Want me to slip <em>them</em> some laxatives?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-gripes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bfba65b8-031a-409e-ada5-9bc140c46072Post:130432a5-88e8-4ecd-8848-a4fc0447e6a8">Re: Got Gripes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Got Gripes? : I always lived in NY/NJ area they were samoas as far as I knew....

I've seen them as both.  From what I've been told, GS has two main cookie manufacturers.  One is East Coast and one is West Coast.  The cookies are the same, but the names are different depending on the manufacturer.  Kind of like Edy's and Dryers ice cream.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • Oh, I've got gripes.  On Friday I had to cancel my Spring Break trip to San Diego because the cost of plane tickets was too high for me to fly there from the field trip I have to go on to be a "responsible" graduate student.  My fiance flipped out, refused my offer to pay half his fare there (to see one of his childhood friends get married...which was the whole reason for the trip in the first place), and was really angry and sulky at me the whole day acting like it was my fault (I'm sorry I'm under academic duress from my advisor, who tells me that my work embarasses him and threatens to pull my funding, aka fire me).

Then, Friday night, I lost my cell phone.  It fell out of the car onto the street, and I didn't realize it until the next day (I thought I had just left it in the car when my fiance dropped me off at my friend's house).  I still haven't bought a new one, lead in to today's gripe...

I was in a car accident.  Some undergraduate girl pulled out of her parking spot and hit me in the parking lot on campus this afternoon.  Less than a week after my fiance and I spent a whole premarital counseling session talking about how he feels like I don't pay enough attention to his car and am not resonsible with it.  And about a month before I'm due to buy a car of my own.  Really, life?  Really?

So, yeah, I totally get the OP on the $1200 to fix something.  Her insurance should cover it, but she has really bad insurance, so who knows what will happen...
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-gripes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bfba65b8-031a-409e-ada5-9bc140c46072Post:7a6b0ac3-4211-4c86-b593-fba909bdde43">Re: Got Gripes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The name of the cookies depend on the baker that made them.  There are 2 Girl Scout cookies bakers.  I grew up with Caramel DeLites and Peanut Butter Patties, but found out in college that <strong>people from NY and NJ called them Samoas and Tagalongs</strong>.  Mind = blown.

<div>Add Philly and DE to this list of people.</div><div>
    </div><div>I had never heard them called Caramel DeLites or Peanut Butter Patties until this past year from other Knotties. </div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards