Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Do I Really Need To Have......

Do I really need to have a vegetarian option for our wedding reception? Our dinner choices do not include a selection and I'm not sure whether to ask our venue if they can provide one or to just choose 3 different meats.  Suggestions please?

Re: Do I Really Need To Have......

• IMO - yes.  Most venues are able to accommodate vegetarian orders.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yes, it would be rude to not have something for a vegetarian.  Our venue prepares a number of them and will bring them out upon request.  
  • I would offer it as a main selection.  More and more people are eliminating meat from their diets for one reason or another; I think you'd be surprised how many people will choose it.

If you don't offer it as a main option, you really must at least ensure that the venue will provide a vegetarian dish upon request.   Enough people are vegetarians these days that it's just a bad cal not to accommodate them. 
  • I would. Also, even if people aren't vegetarians, a LOT will order. Sometimes I will order a vegetarian dish just because um have you ever tried portabella mushrooms??? YUM!
  • Yes.  It is best to have everything covered just in case.  I would choose 2 meats (IMO, a chicken and a beef option) and a vegetarian dish.
    Anniversary
  • At least have it as an option upon request.  We added it to our RSVP cards, and so far only one person has selected it (and that person is a vegetarian). 

• You should include one, as other people have said, even non-vegetarians will sometimes choose the veggie option. I know people who prefer pasta to some meat options if those are the choices. My H, for example, is omnivorous and he would choose veggie over salmon or pork most days. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Absolutely. You can't be certain about everyone's dietary needs and have to provide everyone something to eat. Think of how bad you'll feel if you see a poor hungry vegetarian who has had nothing but salad and bread for dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • YES. We had a mexican food buffet.  We provided a squash & spinach quesadilla (we didn't have any vegans, just vegetarians, so the cheese was ok), and that quesadilla was a HUGE hit with ALL of the guests.  Non-vegetarians will enjoy the item, and vegetarians will appreciate having something to eat.
  • Yes. While I am not vegetarian I usually go for vegetarian dishes when eating out because I've had a lot of food poisoning in my day (from poultry) and I'm not a fan of red meat or seafood.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Unless you know some one that is I would say no. But if your doing a buffet style then just make sure you have opptions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards