Washington-Seattle
Options

She has my dress too!

A girl I knew in college (a couple years younger) got married over the weekend.  So as I was scanning FB yesterday my eye caught something very familiar....my wedding dress! (annnd the exact veil I want)

I was actually surprised by how much it bothered me all day yesterday (never thought that kind of thing would annoy me, but I also didn't expect it to happen).  Now I haven't seen this girl in about 3 years, but we do have mutual FB friends that ARE actually my friends, who were commenting and liking all the photos.  *sigh*

Nothing I can do about it obviously so I'm just trying to avoid FB for now.  But it made me wonder, has this happened to anyone else here on the boards?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: She has my dress too!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh that suuuuuuuucks. Go ahead and wallow a bit. Once you're done, start thinking of any alterations you can do and things you can add/remove to make it more your own. While you're wallowing, spend some time on etsy. You might find inspiration there.

But, if you don't want to change it, don't. You'll own it with your shoes and hair and if anyone notices and says anything, just go with, "Great minds think alike! It was so funny when I saw those pictures!" The second sentence clearly says, "I already ordered mine when I saw those." without saying, "No, really, I'm not a copycat. I was horrified when I saw them!"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    kristend72 said it.... you'll own it!! Make it your own and you will look fabulous!!

But I'm also not one to talk.... I had tried on two dresses and was torn on which one. I saw pictures on my photographers blog and saw another bride with one of the dresses! It bothered me too. I actually tried on totally different dresses with my mom and fell in love with something else.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kristen - I LOVE THIS "Oh that suuuuuuuucks. Go ahead and wallow a bit. Once you're done, start thinking of any alterations you can do and things you can add/remove to make it more your own." I'm having a different issue - but same feelings and yes please let me WALLOW!!! :)

THe reality is the dress will look totally different on you - it always does - but thats not the point - you want to feel special and this deturs from that - allow yourself to grieve that!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs.  It's kinda lame, but your wedding is still 5 months away so you have time to change it slightly with alterations or different looking jewelry/accessories!
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

LOL
    "Oh that suuuuuuuucks. Go ahead and wallow a bit. Once you're done, start thinking of any alterations you can do and things you can add/remove to make it more your own. While you're wallowing, spend some time on etsy. You might find inspiration there."
    This is exactly what I did yesterday!  I considered calling Cynderellies and asking if I could change my order to a larger size so I could take in the corset back and do buttons, but then I had to stop myself and ask "Why would I spend extra money for alterations, and risk it not fitting well, just to make it look a little different?"  Wallow. Wallow. Wallow. + a little time finding pretty flower hairpieces on Etsy made me feel a lot better today. :)  Oh, and she's blonde (I'm brunette) and she had her hair down, curled (which IMO with the dress did not look right).  So I'm trying to think about it as though she was the guinea pig in this situation.

I think I've only thought about it maybe 10 times today? ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Reilly2BeReilly2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That happened to me too! I decided to add a ton of Swarovski Crystals to make it sparkle a little more and give a little bit of a different look but still keeping the design intact. I still agonize over the fact that we have the same dress but I know it will hopefully look different on me. Don't completely stress about it because it's not someone you've seen in forever and most won't remember it's the same dress!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to work at a bridal shop and I would add different belts, sashes and accesories to the most popular gowns that everyone wanted to buy to make it look different. It's amazing what a belt or sash can do to a dress :)
    It's hard when you find other brides with your same dress but it is YOUR style what makes the difference. Don't worry, you will look amazing in it!!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards