Illinois-Chicago

Has anyone used Hydrangeas?

I am finally setting up appointments to meet with some florists.  (my last major vendor!)  I have been wanting white hydrangea bouquets for myself and the bridesmaids.  The bridesmaid dresses are bright pink. 

My question is will they hold up all night?  Has anyone used them in their wedding?

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker 260 Invited image
167 Thrilled to Attend image
71 Devastated they can't make it image
22 making us sweat it out image
RSVP Date- June 30

Re: Has anyone used Hydrangeas?

• edited December 2011

Check my planning bio...
    www.june18bride.weebly.com

If you haven't looked at Zuzu's Petals (owner, Natalie Willet), she's AMAZING!!! She's in Orland Park. Her prices are fantastic for what I'm geting!

Good Luck.

imageimage
    Finally...we are Mr. & Mrs.!!! WooHoo!!!

Planning Bio
    Married Bio (Work In Progress)
  • edited December 2011
    I wanted to use hydrangeas but I was warned they can be finicky.
    They are highly water dependent.  If your wedding is outdoors on a warm day you need to make sure the bouquets are placed in water for a little bit at a time to hydrate.
    On cooler days they will last longer but would benefit from some water time to keep them up. 

We decided against them as the wedding activities really are all day and I didn't want to worry about wilting flowers.

A good florist will advise you on how to make them last or alternatives.
    We skipped the hydrangeas in the bouquets and put them in our centerpieces instead.
  • edited December 2011
    I did! Many florists told me they wouldn't do them, so I went until I found one that did.  Our arrangements held up wonderfully. We got married in june on an 80+ day, though we were inside most of the time.  We kept them in water up until pictures then put them back in water until the ceremony and they were fine.  We used Phillips flowers and they were great to work with.
  • edited December 2011
    I am using hydrangeas. My florist said you can simply put those small water containers around a the stems or wrap the stems in a wet cloth and that will make them last longer than normal. 

However, if you are getting married in August, outdoors, Hydrangeas obviously would not be a good choice. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies!

We are getting married July 24th.  But will be mostly inside...

I love flowers wish me luck that I don't go overboard! 
    RSVP Date- June 30
  • edited December 2011
    Good Luck. I too am obsessed with hydrangeas. Not sure if you checked out the pics in my bio, but my florist recommended I don't use white because it blends SO Much with the dress. She showed me some photos and you could barely tell the bride was holding a bouquet. Just a little piece of advice.
    imageimage

Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!   I would have never thought of that.  I did look at your pics and I do love the hydrangeas and roses...maybe that would work.  I know what you mean I am obsessed as well!

BTW - I just called ZuZu's and they are booked for my day:(
    RSVP Date- June 30
  • edited December 2011
    I have google imaged "Wedding Hydrangea Bouquets" and saved just about every image I found that I liked because I kept finding stuff I liked.

Sorry about your date being booked. Wish I had another rec for you. :(
    imageimage

Planning Bio
  • jbll326jbll326 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kthame -
    I met with Natalie this morning and I love her!! I had already met with another highly recommended florist on TK message boards and wasn't that impressed. So I was kind of nervous that I would be disappointed again, but Natalie blew me away! She's so personable, really listens to what your vision is and makes great suggestions, and really works within the budget! I'm so happy I met with her cause I was getting kind of down on the whole flowers thing for a while.

And we're using emerald hydrangeas :)
  • edited December 2011
    jbl - that's wonderful! Doesn't she have the sweetest personality? I really, really liked her - right off the bat! Ooo...another hydrangea lady! Yippee!! I LOVE what she does with the unity candles...did you see those pics?

Kate
    imageimage

Planning Bio
  • jbll326jbll326 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

She definitely has one of the best personalities of any vendor I've met so far (my venue coordinator is amazing too)! During the meeting I kept thinking how fun it would be to go out for a girls night with her! 

Unfortunately I didn't see what she does with unity candles cause I wasn't sure if we'll be doing that. I'm sure it's beautiful though! I know next to nothing about flowers, and she kept running into her back room to grab the flowers and the colors we were talking about so I could see what everything looks like. I was so impressed with her and the quality of her work.

• edited December 2011
    We are using green hydrangeas, more in the centerpieces, but a few in the bouquets. We also have vases for the BM bouquets at the reception (although not sure it matters at that point) but my florist didn't think it would be a problem since we would keep them in water before the ceremony, etc. My florist is Kio Kreations and she is really great to work with! i highly recommend!

Good luck!
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards