Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll

Holy crap are people bitchy on fridays. All I wanted was input on necklace, bracelet, or earrings, and everyone jumps down my throat for having the audacity to pick something like a *gasp* nice piece of jewelry. Thank you for the people who gave me constructive input.

Re: Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll

• Does it matter what we think? You know your WP, we don't. Are they pearl girls? Earring girls? Bracelet girls? Surely you would know their preferences. Will they even enjoy getting jewelry like this?
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:162895e7-39ac-43a3-9456-cbfd6e5d85bePost:682f1556-085b-49dd-98d8-611447d88374">Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm deciding on Bridesmaids gifts, and I know everyone complains you shouldn't get them jewelry you expect them to wear on the wedding day, blah blah blah.<strong> I don't think this applies to pearls</strong>. I'm debating between a necklace, a bracelet, or a set of 7 different colored earrings. Thoughts?
    Posted by hodgson.holt[/QUOTE]

Just curious, but why would pearls not apply?  It's still jewelry, and if you are expecting them to wear it on the wedding day, then it is not a gift to them.
  • I still don't think you should give them a gift you EXPECT them to wear. If they actually like pearls and you think they'd appreciate them, then give away. But don't insist that they wear them because then it's not really a gift anymore, it's a part of their attire.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:162895e7-39ac-43a3-9456-cbfd6e5d85bePost:42a99c68-476c-43c7-9517-fb954c821aa1">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll : Just curious, but why would pearls not apply?  It's still jewelry, and if you are expecting them to wear it on the wedding day, then it is not a gift to them.
    Posted by frogurt814[/QUOTE]

Who doesn't like pearls? Its not like I'm getting them some cheap piece of plastic jewelry they'll wear once. Pearls are classic, timeless and go with anything, and I don't even care if they wear them on the wedding day.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:162895e7-39ac-43a3-9456-cbfd6e5d85bePost:785a6c1d-553d-4c63-98f6-967fec1a6a50">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll : Who doesn't like pearls? Its not like I'm getting them some cheap piece of plastic jewelry they'll wear once. Pearls are classic, timeless and go with anything, and I don't even care if they wear them on the wedding day.

Some people don't like wearing jewelry though. While I would appreciate the value of a pearl necklace, the chances of it being useful to me are slim to nil. So it would essentially, just sit in a jewelry box.

Now, if you got me a cookbook or anything crafty, I would appreciate/use the hell out of that.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would personally like to receive the 7-different color earrings
  • And to add to that: If you know that your WP members would love to wear that jewelry, then you are fine. But if they don't wear that kind of jewelry regularly, it may be a bit of a waste of money and not the best gift to give.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I recently wrote about the crappy BM gift I got from my cousin that she knew I would hate. It was a pearl necklace and matching earrings. She onnly got it because it would look nice with the dress. I don't really care for pearls so for me your gift would be useless.

Also, please don't call this a gift since it is not.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:162895e7-39ac-43a3-9456-cbfd6e5d85bePost:f94d81c9-cd5b-4a80-95e6-1d92033cb161">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I recently wrote about the crappy BM gift I got from my cousin that she knew I would hate. It was a pearl necklace and matching earrings. She onnly got it because it would look nice with the dress. I don't really care for pearls so for me your gift would be useless. <strong>Also, please don't call this a gift since it is not.</strong>
    Posted by suz62984[/QUOTE]

Why is it not a gift if all the girls like pearls, and if I don't give two craps if they wear it on the actual day.
  • Are they all the same? Because if they are (and I am saying this as if it were me) and I opened it next to the other bms at the rehearsal dinner, I'd notice that everyone got the same thing as me aside from the different rhinestone in the earrings and I'd feel obligated to wear them. Pearls or no pearls, they aren't a gift.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • It isn't a gift for them if it is purchased for the wedding day. I know you say that it isn't for the wedding day; however, even if you don't care that they don't wear it they will feel pressured to wear it. You may not say anything to them about wearing it but they will feel they have to just the same.

Anniversary
  • But if I gave each girl a pearl necklace, bracelet or set of earings for her birthday, and they all happened to be the same, no one here would say bullshit about it being not a gift. Weddings create ridiculous double standards.
  • OP you are way defensive over this. Relax.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:162895e7-39ac-43a3-9456-cbfd6e5d85bePost:320ee7e5-2dbd-4915-83cb-507fe62fb3f1">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]But if I gave each girl a pearl necklace, bracelet or set of earings for her birthday, and they all happened to be the same, no one here would say bullshit about it being not a gift. Weddings create ridiculous double standards.

Actually, I think it's bordering on lame to get people the same birthday gift. So I'll bust your double standard for you.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:162895e7-39ac-43a3-9456-cbfd6e5d85bePost:785a6c1d-553d-4c63-98f6-967fec1a6a50">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll : Who doesn't like pearls? Its not like I'm getting them some cheap piece of plastic jewelry they'll wear once. Pearls are classic, timeless and go with anything, and I don't even care if they wear them on the wedding day.

I personally almost never wear jewelry, regardless of if it is pearls or not.

EDIT: Oh, just read your "grrr update" and if they all wear jewelry and they all like pearls, then why don't you just buy them pearls?  I think you've answered your own question.
  • I like pearls but not fake ones.  I am super picky about jewelry but you obviously think your girls will like them and wear them again so get it.  BTW, I wouldn't wear earrings unless they had a 14K gold post because my ears are very sensitive to metals.  If you get earrings, make sure your girls won't have a problem with the grade of metal (it would look really bad if their ears swell up to the size of gold balls).
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I purposely didnt buy any jewelry for my girls. I feel like it was too typical. I picked a good dollar amount and got each of them something different that fit their likes/personality. I feel like it means more that way. instead of just getting a bulk order of something they probably wont like and say here ya go, thanks!
  • Giving each girl the same birthday gift just shows that you don't know your friends enough to get them something as unique as they are.
    Anniversary
  • Yes, this applies to pearls.  It's not a gift I'd personally like.  I have something like three sets from various gifts and wouldn't know what to do with a fourth--probably regift it at some point.  

You must not know your friends very well if you need strangers to help you decide.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • I'm not big on pearls.  I might wear a pearl bracelet to something like a wedding or graduation.  Pearls do not go with my Old Navy wife beaters.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:162895e7-39ac-43a3-9456-cbfd6e5d85bePost:111480c0-2582-48eb-8fdf-dff3545b5808">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not big on pearls.  I might wear a pearl bracelet to something like a wedding or graduation.  <strong>Pearls do not go with my Old Navy wife beaters.
    </strong>Posted by gottahavashorti[/QUOTE]

I feel like this could be the fashion trend of 2011. Spearhead the movement, Gotta.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Why did you bother asking this question here, if you were just going to get snotty and correct everyone who didn't agree with you?

Since you know so much, make up your own damn mind.
  • People aren't bitchy on Fridays, they're short-tempered in the face of the same damn stupid question over and over again.
  • I just might.  They go with Soffe shorts too, right?  It doesn't get much better than pearls with a beater, soffes and flip flops.
  • Flip flops...or broken flip flops? I don't think it gets much classier than that.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm actually classy enough to throw away broken flip flops.  What about Nikes with a hole in them?  Don't stand too close to bonfires, kids, it can burn holes through the mesh of your sneakers.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:162895e7-39ac-43a3-9456-cbfd6e5d85bePost:118fa45b-e2b5-421c-afc3-ce0638f71d90">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm actually classy enough to throw away broken flip flops. <strong> What about Nikes with a hole in them? </strong> Don't stand too close to bonfires, kids, it can burn holes through the mesh of your sneakers.
    Posted by gottahavashorti[/QUOTE]

Hahaha even better!
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The sad thing is, this really is what I wear daily in the summer.  I would look amazingly ridiculous if I added pearls to my getup.
  • Wow, the OP was really butthurt over nothing...
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • OP, I'm not sure why you got so defensive.  People weren't bitchy at all.

If you think your friends would like pearls then get them pearls.  Just be careful since many people may have them.  I have a strand already so I'd prefer to wear those if you were buying fakes. 

Keep your friend's tastes in mind.  I personally like pearls but hopefully the ladies here have shown you that not everyone likes them - so make sure you're thinking "what does this BM like" and not "I think they'll all like this one thing".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards