Chit Chat

Dystopian Recommendations?

I'm loving the dystopian fiction novels that I've been reading lately and I was wondering if any of you could recommend some more for me.

I've read The Hunger Games, Divergent (can't wait for Insurgent) and Delirium/Pandemonium.

I've seen Matched/Crossed and Enclave/Outpost while browsing Amazon - has anyone read these?  Any good?

Any other recommendations?
21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Dystopian Recommendations?

• edited April 2012
    Matched/Crossed was pretty good but not great.

On the "adult fiction" side, Margaret Atwood writes great dystopian fiction (The Handmaiden's Tale, Oryx & Crake, The Year of the Flood).  There's also the obvious classics - Farenheit451, 1984, Brave New World, etc.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • I enjoyed Matched and Crossed.  They are a quick read, and the rather fun.  If you enjoyed Delirium/Padenmonium, then you would probably enjoyed Matched and Crossed.  

I have also read Enclave.  I didn't enjoy that quite as much.  The writing was good, but I wasn't a huge fan of the story line.  It is a pseudo zombie book, and by the time I had read it, I was pretty much over the zombie genre.

I liked The Forest of Hands and Teet/The Dead Tossed Waves/The Dark and Hollow Places.  That one is a dystopian zombie book, but I loved them and read them all quite quickly.  
  • Ditto Handmaid's Tale. It's pretty messed up.
    June 16, 2012
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_dystopian-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:3a898670-f462-4dbd-9226-e193eb900ea5Post:27821437-60c3-43d9-b641-34bc3c649500">Re: Dystopian Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Giver by Lois Lowry is a good book and a short read since it's intended for young adults. But...you don't have to take my word for it!
    Posted by MeganLindsay5685[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. Lois Lowry also has two similar books she wrote after The Giver - Gathering Blue and Messenger. They are all kind of tied together with character overlap of 1 or 2 people in each book. I just read she is coming out with a 4th book called Son.

I third? fourth? The Handmaid's Tale. I saw the movie in a Women's Studies class in college and later read the book. Very interesting.
    Due 10/21/13 with our first baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I was an English major in college and I know I was forced to read  Margaret Atwood at some point (can't remember which book).  I've heard of these Atwood books that some of you mentioned, but I've always just ignored them because I instantly think "required reading" which I always hated in school.  Sounds like The Handmaid's Tale is a must read, though, so I will definitely check that out.  

I just added several of these recommendations to my Amazon shopping cart.  I'll probably order a few after I receive and read Insurgent.

Thank you!
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't read the Handmaids Tale yet, but I've heard a similar story is When She Woke, which I'm almost finished with.  It's sort of a modern telling of the Scarlet Letter, set in a not-too-distant future.
    Anniversary
  • It's kinda Sci Fi meets Dystopian but the Xenogenesis/ Lilith's Brood (click) trilogy is one of the best books I've read ever.
  • The Uglies series
    The City of Ember series
    I liked Matched, and really liked Crossed
    The Maze Runner trilogy is awesome.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_dystopian-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:3a898670-f462-4dbd-9226-e193eb900ea5Post:3a74d0aa-ae08-47b5-9886-324f610cc5a9">Re: Dystopian Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Uglies series 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    Ditto this. Scott Westerfeld is one of my favorite authors.
  • I ditto The Handmaid's Tale, The Uglies, and Farhenheit 451, and 1984.  1984 is the best dystopian novel, in my opinion.

I really liked Shades of Grey. The Roar and Across the Universe are decent too.

Earth Abides is super interesting, but it's more post-apocolyptic than dystopian.  
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2012
    In Response to Re:Dystopian Recommendations?:[QUOTE]But...you don't have to take my word for it! Posted by MeganLindsay5685[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards