Wedding Reception Forum

Favors

What were some of the best and worst favors you received at a wedding?

I'm trying to decide between some kind of candy/chocolate or something like a picture frame or ornament.

Your opinions are appreciated!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Favors

• gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Always go with something edible/drinkable. Anything else is usually not my style and I end up throwing it away.
  • best :  Personalized water bottle as we are leaving the reception.  After a night of drinking and dancing that is just what I wanted

worst:  B&G names/date engraved on wine glasses
  • worst: small candle with their wedding info on a paper surrounding it. I didn't even take it home!

best- candy bars where I could load up on candy! but mainly, anything edible
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • best-chocolate covered strawberry! my fave!
    worst-a box of matches!
    Visit The Knot! White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 217 Invited...
    image 166 Got their boots on!
    image 49 Missin' out.
    image 2 are makin' us mailbox stalk!
    RSVP Date: September 1
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Edible favors are the best!!!!

A dear friend of mine did stemless wineglasses, which turned into our beach wineglasses for when we grill dinners on the beach (less chance of breakage).  I'm not sure I would ever use them in the house though.

I think i had some heart bottle opener or some nonsense laying around. . . . you feel bad throwing out the crappy favors knowing that a couple spent hard earned money on them.
  • Worst: tiny box of chocolate kisses the wedding planner or MOB or MOG insisted we take (into a hot car far from home)

Best: holy card asking guests to recite 3 Hail Marys for a blessed marriage
  • Wow i cant believe edible is more preferred! 

I was hoping to do a small white flower pot and a bag of seeds. It wouldnt include any part of the wedding on it like our names or anything but it would still be a reminder to people of our day, 

Would any of you like this? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    edited June 2012
    My favorite favors were my own:  a mini-bottle of champagne.  There was not a single one left.

OP, if you are having a garden or spring wedding, that could be cute.  But I have to admit, as a guest, I probably wouldn't do anything with it.
  • I wouldn't. It's impossible to grow anything in lots of buildings (The windows keep out the necessary UV rays), and I have 0 outdoor space as part of my home. If you don't provide soil, I have, again, 0 soil in my life. If you do provide soil, I'd be worried about it spilling in the car.

Second-best favors ever: none

[I'm a curmudgeon about favors, as you can see. We actually almost decided on favors a few days ago, because I was bored with wedding planning and wanted something more to do. But when we went to actually buy the pieces, we decided they weren't anything anyone would actually like, as much as I might like choosing them and tying the little bows.]
  • Best:  The regular size bottle of wine

Worst:  Anything non-edible and knick-knacky.  Honestly, no one wants random trinkets with your name or wedding date on them.  They will most likely be left or thrown away immediately once they get home.

• Thanks for all your answers... before I posted this I really thought people would just throw away an edible favor. I guess I thought that because I'm not a big sweets eater and if I got candy as a favor, I would probably give it away to someone or throw it out. But I see how little knick knacks can be dust collectors or may end up in the trash as well. I think I will go with something edible then! It's hard because you don't want to spend money on something people aren't going to eat or enjoy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I guess i just have trouble seeing what makes a favour so special if its edible, chocolate covered strawberries or cupcakes? these are things some people have for all their guests to eat at the dinner anyway. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_favors-27?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:69dfd90b-3219-4ee3-be53-3b898d5bb4fdPost:526d64fe-19d5-481d-beac-c520ae3faebe">Re: Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow i cant believe edible is more preferred!  I was hoping to do a small white flower pot and a bag of seeds. It wouldnt include any part of the wedding on it like our names or anything but it would still be a reminder to people of our day,  Would any of you like this? 
    Posted by annieoldfield[/QUOTE]

no thanks
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    edited June 2012

OP (and others), if you're in doubt, just skip them.  No one will miss them and you can put the money towards something else.  I wish I had listened when I was a bride and had the same question (and got this same answer).

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_favors-27?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:69dfd90b-3219-4ee3-be53-3b898d5bb4fdPost:aad16463-7272-4363-a8bc-031af4b416cf">Re: Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favors : no thanks
    Posted by IamTheMommaOfTheBride[/QUOTE]

<div>My god, this entire forum should be named snarky brides... </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Worst: a tree. Literally they gave us a small tree to plant (we live in an apartment currently)

Best: anything edible. At one wedding they had candy-covered apples which were yummy. At another they had small boxes of Godiva chocolates at each place. I never turn down chocolate!

Not a favor per se, but I did really appreciate one wedding where they brought in pizza and munchies at 11 PM about an hour before it ended. By that time, we were starting to get hungry again after all the dancing and it tasted delicious!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_favors-27?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:69dfd90b-3219-4ee3-be53-3b898d5bb4fdPost:3ad35453-7b65-4842-90f5-453feaca3b1b">Re: Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favors : My god, this entire forum should be named snarky brides... 

Am I missing something? You ASKED us in your earlier post if any of us would like the favor you suggested. She answered you honestly. How is that snarky? Why ask our opinions at all if you truly don't want them?

Vacation
  • snark·y  (snärk)adj. snark·i·ersnark·i·est Slang1. Rudely sarcastic or disrespectful; snide.

Yes i asked, but i didnt ask for a snarky response. 
    Her reply was just the tip. I see it in basically every thread ive read on this forum. People wanting genuine help and they get very rude responses back. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think she was rude, but ymmv. Best: chocolate Worst: everything else We are doing Trader Joe's truffles - they are surprisingly awesome - in little ivory boxes I bought online. Total, about $100 or $120 all in. Not bad, since it is looking like we will have somewhere around 180 guests.
  • Summer, OP didn't pull the snark card, it is someone else. OP is still good!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_favors-27?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:69dfd90b-3219-4ee3-be53-3b898d5bb4fdPost:6d5f8e09-97d7-49a2-80a1-69e127a9544a">Re: Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]snark·y    (snär k ) adj.   snark·i·er ,  snark·i·est   Slang 1.  Rudely sarcastic or disrespectful; snide. Yes i asked, but i didnt ask for a snarky response.  Her reply was just the tip. I see it in basically every thread ive read on this forum. People wanting genuine help and they get very rude responses back. 

I think you're being way too sensitive. You had an idea for a favor you wanted and someone said they wouldn't like it. That's what you ASKED for was opinions. You can still do the favor if you want, but many people here have said they favor edible ones, and some have given good reasons why the favor you suggested wouldn't even be feesible for them to use. No one said "Your idea is sucky and awful and you're a terrible person." No, one person said "no thanks" in response to you asking for opinions. If you get this upset over a "no thanks" then these boards may not be the best place for you, honestly. You can't get bent out of shape this easily.

Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_favors-27?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:69dfd90b-3219-4ee3-be53-3b898d5bb4fdPost:aad07302-ccb0-4e51-8055-4c347b827f81">Re: Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Summer, OP didn't pull the snark card, it is someone else. OP is still good!
    Posted by S6ix[/QUOTE]

I wasn't talking to the OP. I quoted the person I was talking to; in the middle of the thread she threw out a favor idea and asked for opinions.

Vacation
  • Oops my bad. Reading fail.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_favors-27?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:69dfd90b-3219-4ee3-be53-3b898d5bb4fdPost:526d64fe-19d5-481d-beac-c520ae3faebe">Re: Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow i cant believe edible is more preferred!  I was hoping to do a small white flower pot and a bag of seeds. It wouldnt include any part of the wedding on it like our names or anything but it would still be a reminder to people of our day,  <strong>Would any of you like this? </strong>

This is where she asked for opinions. OP has been fine all along.

Vacation
  • edited June 2012
    Yes, I see. Thank you.
  • I'd stick to edible favors.  While I would never leave any favor on the table because I think it's rude, if it was a knick knack, it'd probably be thrown out when I got home.
  • A mix CD. The couple had a slide show of childhood pix and music as part of the reception. They included songs from the slide show on the CD. It was pretty good, and I ended up listening to it a bit.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_favors-27?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:69dfd90b-3219-4ee3-be53-3b898d5bb4fdPost:2147c674-d1bd-4d51-9cd1-39e258810d25">Re: Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Worst: a tree. Literally they gave us a small tree to plant (we live in an apartment currently) Best: anything edible. At one wedding they had candy-covered apples which were yummy. At another they had small boxes of Godiva chocolates at each place. I never turn down chocolate! Not a favor per se, but I did really appreciate one wedding where <strong>they brought in pizza and munchies at 11 PM about an hour before it ended. By that time, we were starting to get hungry again after all the dancing and it tasted delicious!
    </strong>Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

We're doing this at our wedding! I feel like it's going to be a food frenzy and my guests are going to go into food coma's overall - but at least they won't leave hungry! And will have something to soak up their alcohol.

Our favor will be a candy buffet - if people want it, they can take it, and if they don't that's ok too. It's included with my venue, so no sense in spending extra money for some dumb trinket.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_favors-27?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:69dfd90b-3219-4ee3-be53-3b898d5bb4fdPost:3ad35453-7b65-4842-90f5-453feaca3b1b">Re: Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favors : My god, this entire forum should be named snarky brides... 

I am practically a professional snarker on other boards.  But onTK?  No, always trying to be helpful....which I was doing.
  • I'm doing a popcorn buffet with plain popcorn and different seasonings and toppings in shakers and bowls. I stamped white paper bags with our initials and a design. Had we not done that, then I might have done a milk and cookie bar or donated to a charity we feel strong about and made up cute little things telling guests we donated to the charity on the guests' behalf.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards