Snarky Brides

Ughhhhhhhhh!!! (Vent)

So here's my story. About a year and a half to two years ago, I got a phone call from one of my credit card companies telling me that they thought someone got a hold of my information. I went online later and checked my account information, and apparently I suddenly lived in Los Angeles. It's worth noting that I have always lived in NJ, I grew up in the town I was born in, and the only time I ever moved was when I got married, and that was only a town away.

The CC company closed the account and started an investigation on the fraudulent charges. They took a few months, but then they called me and said "Yep, they were fraudulent. We're not going to charge you." Well, great! They also asked if I wanted to sign up for credit protection, which of course I did, being that someone not only got my information, but also managed to GET MY FUCKING ADDRESS CHANGED! So that was that. I thought.

Today my BANK calls me and tells me the same thing - that there's a suspicious charge on my card, and was it me? It wasn't. So some other motherfvcker got my info and is galavanting around trying to spend all the money that I don't have. I am so angry right now I could break a wall with my fists. I'm so sick of this shiit. I'm even more angry, though, that I have credit protection from TWO different companies, and neither one of them caught it. Thank goodness for Wells Fargo. Only, now I'm out a debit card for 7-10 days. Ughhhhhh.

CN: I got my identity stolen a while back, thought it was resolved, and it was stolen again, despite the fact that I have credit protection. And I'm fvcking PISSED.
Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg

Re: Ughhhhhhhhh!!! (Vent)

• I think credit protection service is just insurance, it doesn't actually safeguard your account. The best thing to do is to put a fraud alert on your credit report, so people can't check your credit without your permission. It lasts for 6 months and you can remind yourself to set it up every 6 months.

If the credit protection is an insurance, then you should make a claim with them, for sure. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ughhhhhhhhh-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d73e7024-efb3-4d37-ab75-84eb57aaa785Post:9546c940-56ba-4041-a7d2-5c73140c8e6e">Re: Ughhhhhhhhh!!! (Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think credit protection service is just insurance, it doesn't actually safeguard your account. The best thing to do is to put a fraud alert on your credit report, so people can't check your credit without your permission. It lasts for 6 months and you can remind yourself to set it up every 6 months. If the credit protection is an insurance, then you should make a claim with them, for sure. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

This.

If you're not planning on applying for new credit soon, lock down your credit. 
  • Thanks, guys. I hope all this gets cleared up soon, too.

As far as the fraud alert, how do I go about doing that? And if I apply for a loan, say for a car or a mortgage, in the future (which will undoubtedly happen after the 6-month window), will the alert affect that at all?
    Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards