Chit Chat

So... if the girl proposes...who buys the ring?

2»

Re: So... if the girl proposes...who buys the ring?

• I wouldnt do it, but thats just me.

If the girl wants to propose, then she should buy the ring.   But I also figure that when the guy proposes he buys her a ring, but he doesnt get an engagement ring (traditionally).  So if the girl proposes, she would buy him the ring, but why would she need a ring??

I see it as if you want to break the tradition of who does the asking, then why not break the tradition of who wears the ring?  They will both get rings at the wedding. 

To each their own I guess.  I dont think a ring matters though.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • There is actually a tradition for this:  if a woman proposes, she buys her boyfriend a nice watch.

Personally, he proposed with a diamond ring, but a few months later, I bought him a tungsten "engagement" band.  It's more elaborate than a wedding band, with a rope detail.  He  does wear it, although, since he takes it off at night, it goes on the left or right hands rather randomly.  I never thought it was fair that the woman gets two rings, and the man only one.  Unless, of course, your man doesn't like rings.

•   I proposed, and I asked him to get me a ring. The reason being that I gave him a ring (not a e-ring) for his birthday once, and he refused to wear it. Then he lost the ring.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_girl-proposeswho-buys-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:3fdeee8b-7346-4604-9b8b-87cd6aca5d79Post:3ed81a3b-422f-4437-89f5-3d91eb5c6f72">Re: So... if the girl proposes...who buys the ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I proposed, and I asked him to get me a ring. The reason being that I gave him a ring (not a e-ring) for his birthday once, and he refused to wear it. Then he lost the ring.
    Posted by JessyNChris[/QUOTE]

Without being judgy, im just curious.

Dont you think that if he wanted to get you a ring he would have done it without you having to ask him too? 

Thats just the only thing that doesnt make sense to me.

But hey, more power to you for having the balls to do it! 
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • I think that its ok for a woman too. I do believe she needs to make sure she isnt going to "steal his thunder". If you have talked about it and dont forsee a proposal soon but he has not aversion to marriage go for it. I do think you need to go halves if the woman is going to be reasonable. However, if she is not going to negotiate and has picked out a ROCK that he cant afford... well sister you better fork out your own money if your going to be that difficult (and there are women who are that difficult.)
    "To my Husband: I pray that you never have to steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal I pray you steal away my sorrows, if you must lie I pray you lie with me all the days of my life, and if you must cheat I pray you cheat death so I never have to live a day without you" -Irish Wedding Toast Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards