Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Modern Prelude Music? HELP

I am really undecided about our ceremony music! We are a young couple who enjoy more modern music and I don't think that formal classical music is our style. Prelude music is supposed to set the tone for the wedding, and I want ours to be formal but not traditional and classic. Have any of you set your ceremony music to more modern music? We are liking Marry Me by Train, Lucky by Jason Mraz and Rhythm of Love by Plain White T's but I don't want to send the wrong message to the guests, which all but family members(25%) are going to be 20-25.

Any suggestions for what songs are good to play?

Re: Modern Prelude Music? HELP

• Options
    I would just create a play list with some favorite love songs. 

"Only Hope" Mandy Moore
    "When I Look at You" Miley Cyrus
    "All Love Can Be" Charlotte Church
    "If" Red Hot Chili Peppers
    "I'll Be" Edwin McCain

Honestly I don't listen to contemporary music so I'm not sure if I should be giving suggestions, lol.  I think as long as the music is appropriate and can't offend anybody you will be fine. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    honestly...you need to decide A. do you want a song with lyrics or without, if you choose withough the vitamin string quartet does some awesome renditions of pop songs in violin/instrumental style. and B. more important then which songs sound good is which songs hold meaning for you and your FI. I wouldnt recommend just picking a song because other people say it sounds ok, its a special day for you, what kind of memories do YOU want to have it, that should be what sets your tone and gives you guidence on what song you want.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_modern-prelude-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:0a4b80b6-7240-4678-93a5-8f0af85fc797Post:d17fdf4f-2eab-4fff-8782-b95411ba9458">Re: Modern Prelude Music? HELP</a>:
    [QUOTE]honestly...you need to decide A. do you want a song with lyrics or without, if you choose withough the vitamin string quartet does some awesome renditions of pop songs in violin/instrumental style. and B. more important then which songs sound good is which songs hold meaning for you and your FI. I wouldnt recommend just picking a song because other people say it sounds ok, its a special day for you, what kind of memories do YOU want to have it, that should be what sets your tone and gives you guidence on what song you want.
    Posted by toothpastechica[/QUOTE]

Most of me wants to agree with this but this is prelude music.  We had a flute and harp duo...we didn't hear the music and I don't know what it was for the prelude.  I just let the professionals pick what they thought would be appropriate.  I don't think OP or any brides needs to put that much heart into prelude music. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    I really want the prelude music to be songs that we enjoy ourselves and something our guests will enjoy as well as understand the importance of the day. We are really focused on selected the ceremony music for honoring our parents, the sand unity, the first kiss, etc. We just want the prelude music to be something thats pretty well known and is soft and enjoyable but itsn't classical. A string quartet or harpist or flutist isn't really our style which is why we are leaning against that. I definitly agree that the music involved in the actual ceremony needs to be close to us though. Thanks for the input ladies!
  • Options
    We had a Cajun jazz string trio and they played a mix of their own stuff and some stuff we like, The Beatles, David Bowie, I think maybe some Stones, etc. I could hear the prelude music, but it wasn't really what I was paying attention to at the time.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It sounds like Vitamin String Quartet be a reasonable compromise as PP suggested.  Many modern, pop / rock hits but fully instrumental and frankly sounding very 'classy and proper'.  I don't think they've covered those 3 specific songs you listed, but they've done many others!  So, while they're strings, they're not traditional, if that makes any sense.
  • Options

I think you should go with one (or all) of the songs that you already mentioned.  We went to a wedding where they played Lucky by Jason Mraz and we liked it.  It really did help set the tone for the wedding as more contemporary.  I don't think you could send the wrong message with any of those songs -- unless you're planning on playing some form of death metal I think you're safe (which would be fine too if that's the type of wedding you want).  Its important to have what you enjoy.

• Options
    I'm walking down the aisle to Marry Me by Train.  The song being played right before that is "One and Only" by Adele.  I'm also not crazy about the traditional music and we're getting married at our venue.  I think our music choice is elegant and romantic, even if it's not traditional.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KalimuffinKalimuffin member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Amawilco, I'm in the same boat.... these are what I've come up with so far!

Marry You- Bruno Mars
    You gonna kiss me or not- Thompson Square
    Hip to my heart- The band Perry
    All I want is You- Barry Louis Polisar
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    i have just really gotten into planning our march wedding and i have no clue what music we are having. the only thing i know for sure is that i am walking down the isle to "i won't give up" by jason mraz. my mother is not pleased. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards