Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?

Hi ladies,

I did an airbrush trial and it just did not cover up my flaws--some hyperpigmentation from breakouts and indented scars.  I want to go the traditional route but I never wear liquid foundation.  Can you guys recommend a good primer and foundation that wont cause breakouts but provide good coverage? I am leaning towards trying Makeup Forever's Mat Foundation but so confused about primers.

Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?

• Why not try signing up for a makeup appointment at Sephora or one of the beauty counters at Macys, etc?

Since everyone has different reactions to products, it may be a trial-and-error situation for you especially if you've had prior skin issues.

I've had lots of luck with the Revlon Photoready primer and foundation products, and Physician's Formula bronzer/blush, but that's just me.

• I used Makeup Forever HD makeup, and the coverage is outstanding. I have not the best complexion, but I feel like a rock star with the HD primer, foundation, and setting powder.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:b135b7b1-cc2a-4090-9daa-9c32cfc15d97">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why not try signing up for a makeup appointment at Sephora or one of the beauty counters at Macys, etc? Since everyone has different reactions to products, it may be a trial-and-error situation for you especially if you've had prior skin issues. I've had lots of luck with the Revlon Photoready primer and foundation products, and Physician's Formula bronzer/blush, but that's just me.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

I think I am going to go to Sephora and have them give samples, thanks!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:4427e4c3-e7de-4c84-8501-b5b248ef4263">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used Makeup Forever HD makeup, and the coverage is outstanding. I have not the best complexion, but I feel like a rock star with the HD primer, foundation, and setting powder.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

Hey Cwaggoner, did you ever compare Makeup Forever's HD to Makeup Forever's Mat Velvet foundation? I am torn between the two but my makeup artist says to get the HD.  Is that what you used for your wedding day? I saw Sephora sells a whole kit for that with primer, foundation and setting powder but I was torn b/w that and the mat velvet foundation. The only thing is I am nervous the primers wont cover enough and break me out so I have been researching all kinds and I am now all kinds of confused. LoL I usually just wear concealer and bare minerals but I know I need more.
  • I definitely second just going to a Sephora or Ulta and setting up an appointment...those places are appealing as well because if you change your mind about something you do purchase you can return it (the makeup is pricey, so it's nice to know if you're not satisfied you can get the money back)
  • I can't recommend youtube makeup tutorials enough. It really helps to see the products used by an actual person. 

Personally, I use MUFE HD foundation and Benefit Porefessional Primer, but there are a few that if I get some extra money I might change up my routine. I think one is called Hourglass something? 

Also, Sephora Beauty Insider puts a lot of samples together each week, so I just recently tried a sample of Stila's foundation and concealer, and I like them a lot. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:e2421d26-5e29-4a00-9f14-2b9034863afd">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't recommend youtube makeup tutorials enough. It really helps to see the products used by an actual person.  Personally, I use MUFE HD foundation and Benefit Porefessional Primer, but there are a few that if I get some extra money I might change up my routine. I think one is called Hourglass something?  Also, Sephora Beauty Insider puts a lot of samples together each week, so I just recently tried a sample of Stila's foundation and concealer, and I like them a lot. 
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

Emee--I had come across hourglass primer in my search also and just wanted to warn you that it might not be good for the wedding day b/c I believe it contains SPF and from everything I'm told, that is a nono for photos.  Otherwise, I heard it was good but it seems pricey.
  • Have any of you ladies tried anything by Jane Iredale (mineral foundations)? I have been hearing the name and normally use bare minerals on a regular basis but I am kind of interested in trying her stuff as it is supposed to have good coverage and be really good for the skin.  Not sure if it is wedding day worthy or spf free though.
  • Smashbox Primer w/ Dermaxyl Complex

Makeup Forever Matte Velvet w/ HD Setting Powder

Done.

p.s. the Matte Velvet has better coverage then the straight HD (although both look great), if you are concerned with coverage for hyper pigmentation and uneven skin texture then definitely go with the Matte Velvet and make sure to set it with the white HD powder. That's all you will need.

This is my preferred product for the camera. Skin looks flawless and the HD powder reflects light. 

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:4cbc0676-b20f-4f30-80c8-f55b5ae67158">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Smashbox Primer w/ Dermaxyl Complex Makeup Forever Matte Velvet w/ HD Setting Powder Done. p.s. the Matte Velvet has better coverage then the straight HD (although both look great), if you are concerned with coverage for hyper pigmentation and uneven skin texture then definitely go with the Matte Velvet and make sure to set it with the white HD powder. That's all you will need. This is my preferred product for the camera. Skin looks flawless and the HD powder reflects light. 
    Posted by brita722[/QUOTE]

Good to know, thank u! Do u know if that smashbox primer is non comedogenic though? I break out at the drop of a dime.  I was definitely interested in the Mat velvet and thought it would have better coverage but my makeup artist tends to lean towards the HD.  But I am definitely concerned w/ coverage for hyper pigmentation and uneven texture as you said and want to look as flawless as possible while still looking somewhat natural.  I think Ill get the Sephora reps to match my colors for both HD and Mat and take home samples with some primer. 
  • The Smashbox primer doesn't advertise to be Non-Comedogenic. It does contain spf (which can irritate sensitive skin) and the Dermaxyl Complex is listed as a filling agent to boost this products Anti-Aging profile. You may want to check it out anyway. I find this to be the best primer on the market right now. I use on almost everyone and have never had any problems or complaints. Here is the link to the Smashbox website:

The Matte Velvet definitely has more coverage than the HD. I'm sure of it. I've used both (on clients and myself). It is also a preferred product for use on camera. I was just working on a show at Fox the other day and Matte Velvet was in every character bag. This is the stuff we use on actors everyday. It's very natural looking with a flawless finish. Basically Matte Velvet just erases any flaw or discoloration immediately. Whereas the HD Foundation is thinner, has less coverage (so as not to be detected by HD magnification) and also has a bit of a light reflecting or luminescent finish -NOT natural.

However, the HD powder (white mica powder) is light reflecting and will fill all the uneven textured areas and reflect light away from them giving you an overall glow. Using this powder to set the Matte Velvet gives the best of both worlds; natural flawless looking skin with an overall glow. The HD Foundation is definitely more high fashion and not geared toward correcting problems beyond uneven color tones. Uneven texture needs more coverage, plain and simple.

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:0fa9447f-83f3-464b-924c-5f069809de65">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have any of you ladies tried anything by Jane Iredale (mineral foundations)? I have been hearing the name and normally use bare minerals on a regular basis but I am kind of interested in trying her stuff as it is supposed to have good coverage and be really good for the skin.  Not sure if it is wedding day worthy or spf free though.
    Posted by KristenMarie163[/QUOTE]

I used to use Bare Minerals but found it messy and that my face still got a bit inflamed from it. I switched to Jane Iredale about six months ago. I really like it for daily wear. I'm not sure if I'll wear it for my wedding. Mine are definitely not SPF free though: I like the coverage, but I'm not sure if she offers spf-free.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:d8834d71-28d7-45f4-9d20-0d1862d3c394">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Smashbox primer doesn't advertise to be Non-Comedogenic. It does contain spf (which can irritate sensitive skin) and the Dermaxyl Complex is listed as a filling agent to boost this products Anti-Aging profile. You may want to check it out anyway. I find this to be the best primer on the market right now. I use on almost everyone and have never had any problems or complaints. Here is the link to the Smashbox website: <a href="http://www.smashbox.com/product/6038/18510/Face/Primer/PHOTO-FINISH-FOUNDATION-PRIMER-SPF-15-WITH-DERMAXYL-COMPLEX/index.tmpl" rel="nofollow">http://www.smashbox.com/product/6038/18510/Face/Primer/PHOTO-FINISH-FOUNDATION-PRIMER-SPF-15-WITH-DERMAXYL-COMPLEX/index.tmpl</a> The Matte Velvet definitely has more coverage than the HD. I'm sure of it. I've used both (on clients and myself). It is also a preferred product for use on camera. I was just working on a show at Fox the other day and Matte Velvet was in every character bag. This is the stuff we use on actors everyday. It's very natural looking with a flawless finish. Basically Matte Velvet just erases any flaw or discoloration immediately. Whereas the HD Foundation is thinner, has less coverage (so as not to be detected by HD magnification) and also has a bit of a light reflecting or luminescent finish -NOT natural. However, the HD powder (white mica powder) is light reflecting and will fill all the uneven textured areas and reflect light away from them giving you an overall glow. Using this powder to set the Matte Velvet gives the best of both worlds; natural flawless looking skin with an overall glow. The HD Foundation is definitely more high fashion and not geared toward correcting problems beyond uneven color tones. Uneven texture needs more coverage, plain and simple.

Brita, thanks so much for all the great info! i didn't realize you did this professionally! You are very knowledgeable! I was reading conflicting things about the HD powder giving the white cast under eyes in photos but you don't find that to be the case then, right?  I went to Sephora and it was a struggle just to get the lady to give me a sample of the HD foundation.  She gave me a little smashbox light primer.  I think Ill try that out since I have it and then go back to a closer sephora to try the Matte right after.  Thanks again!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:e5b788fe-9ec7-4a27-903b-10b3b2a65e2d">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations? : I used to use Bare Minerals but found it messy and that my face still got a bit inflamed from it. I switched to Jane Iredale about six months ago. I really like it for daily wear. I'm not sure if I'll wear it for my wedding. Mine are definitely not SPF free though: I like the coverage, but I'm not sure if she offers spf-free.
    Posted by lyntopher[/QUOTE]

You know Lyn, I have been starting to think the Bare Minerals might be causing additional unwanted inflammation on my face so it is interesting you said that.  I had tried their matte version and it had given me cysts, but I think the original was causing these under the skin comedones at the very least.  I have sensitive, break out prone skin to begin with, but I dont need any additional problems!  Also, the shine the original formula has is highlighting problem areas I don't want to be highlighted.  I am definitely done with bare minerals.  I took the plunge and ordered some Jane Iredale pressed powder for everyday wear and it should be coming today actually! Thanks for the info! I found out it does have spf so it is probably not good for wedding day wear, but it sounds great for daily wear! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:14cdf399-7474-4edb-b74c-93e9e602fda1">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations? : Brita, thanks so much for all the great info! i didn't realize you did this professionally! You are very knowledgeable! I was reading conflicting things about the HD powder giving the white cast under eyes in photos but you don't find that to be the case then, right?  I went to Sephora and it was a struggle just to get the lady to give me a sample of the HD foundation.  She gave me a little smashbox light primer.  I think Ill try that out since I have it and then go back to a closer sephora to try the Matte right after.  Thanks again!
    Posted by KristenMarie163[/QUOTE]

<div>To apply the HD powder you must use a large to medium fluffy powder brush and lightly dust over your face to set your makeup. If you are concealing blemishes, undereye circles, uneven areas, etc. then you can use a smaller flat brush, dip in a small amount of powder, flick your brush to knock of excess and either pat onto the blemish that has been covered to set or sweep across undereye or uneven area to set. </div><div>
    </div><div>Just remember, this is loose powder. It's translucent. When applied with a large brush it should <strong>NOT</strong> leave enough residue to read on camera. If it does then you've used too much. To test, take a picture with the flash on and see if it reads. If it does, knock it down by blending it out with your brush (without adding additional powder) or use a dry sponge.</div><div>
    </div><div>Don't over think it. Use good brushes. Blend, blend, blend. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, if you have a makeup artist -he or she should know how to apply this powder. Ask them to show you... If they can't figure it out then you need to hire a better MUA -someone trained and/or with experience using HD products.</div>

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:55789afc-99e8-4d38-b451-ca8dbd0f932b">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations? : To apply the HD powder you must use a large to medium fluffy powder brush and lightly dust over your face to set your makeup. If you are concealing blemishes, undereye circles, uneven areas, etc. then you can use a smaller flat brush, dip in a small amount of powder, flick your brush to knock of excess and either pat onto the blemish that has been covered to set or sweep across undereye or uneven area to set.  Just remember, this is loose powder. It's translucent. When applied with a large brush it should NOT  leave enough residue to read on camera. If it does then you've used too much. To test, take a picture with the flash on and see if it reads. If it does, knock it down by blending it out with your brush (without adding additional powder) or use a dry sponge. Don't over think it. Use good brushes. Blend, blend, blend.  Also, if you have a makeup artist -he or she should know how to apply this powder. Ask them to show you... If they can't figure it out then you need to hire a better MUA -someone trained and/or with experience using HD products.

Well we are already signed with the MUA and she is great with everything else but I dont think shes experienced enough with problematic skin that might need extra coverage.  I am trying to find the right makeup so that I can have her apply it that day.  As I may have mentioned I have not been a liquid foundation/powder girl for a very long time b/c I am afraid it will increase breakouts.  Never tried primer in my life.  However, that day I do want the extra coverage and will experiment here and there until then.  What is your personal opinion on the Jane Iredale Mineral Powder foundation btw? I know it probably wont be good for wedding day with the spf, but I just bought it and started to use it on a daily basis for everyday wear.
  • I love playing with makeup and am doing my own but experimenting was getting expensive!  Then I found 2 amazing things: 1. Monistat Chafing PowderGel-ok, NOT the stuff for yeast infections, but instead the Chaffing relief gel.  Goes on nicely, feels powdery and your foundation will stay put.  Has basically same ingredients as Smashbox's primer and it's like $6-9.  Target and walgreens usually carry it.  I know, you see Monistate and it worried me but this stuff is amazing.  And 2.  Ben Nye.  So this is not for everyday wear but this theatrical makeup is GREAT for photoshots, it's often used on models, and it's like $9 and you use so little I have had mine for 3 months and have barely made a dent in it.  I apply it to my hand then use a stiff brush to apply to my face, over my chafing gel primer.  Looks great in photos and won't budge.  It's a cream and heavy, so be very light handed with it but for the price and coverage and stay-ability, it can't be beat!! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:e26eb90f-ea0c-4d95-933c-ac147f18adcf">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love playing with makeup and am doing my own but experimenting was getting expensive!  Then I found 2 amazing things: 1. Monistat Chafing PowderGel-ok, NOT the stuff for yeast infections, but instead the Chaffing relief gel.  Goes on nicely, feels powdery and your foundation will stay put.  Has basically same ingredients as Smashbox's primer and it's like $6-9.  Target and walgreens usually carry it.  I know, you see Monistate and it worried me but this stuff is amazing.  And 2.  Ben Nye.  So this is not for everyday wear but this theatrical makeup is GREAT for photoshots, it's often used on models, and it's like $9 and you use so little I have had mine for 3 months and have barely made a dent in it.  I apply it to my hand then use a stiff brush to apply to my face, over my chafing gel primer.  Looks great in photos and won't budge.  It's a cream and heavy, so be very light handed with it but for the price and coverage and stay-ability, it can't be beat!! 
    Posted by sarag8r[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>No.</div><div>
    </div><div>The Monistat Chafing Powder-gel contains the same ingredients as ANTI-SHINE (i.e. a product used to cut the oil build up and knock down shine instantly) NOT Primer (i.e. a product designed and used to fill uneven areas, including lines, and anchor product to the skin thus keeping it in place, which can be a little drying, but that's what keeps the product in place). </div><div>
    </div><div>The difference is that the Monistat or Anti-Shine has SLIDE -meaning it will move! There is no way for it to maintain on the skin for an extended period of time without moving or sliding on the skin. This product should not be used as a primer. Just because there is powder in it doesn't mean its a primer. I only use this for an instant fix to knock down shine for camera. It doesn't hold up very long and usually needs to be touched up frequently. </div><div>
    </div><div>As for Ben Nye... these products are old school theater cosmetics. They are heavier and contain a lot of oil. DO NOT use these products if you have sensitive skin... You WILL break out! Someone who doesn't use makeup on a regular basis, has sensitive skin AND hyper pigmentation, who is also concerned with break-outs should NEVER go near Ben Nye, there is no need! </div><div>
    </div><div>Products like Makeup Forever, Becca, Nars, Laura Mercier, Shesiedo and even Aveda have formulated much better sensitive skin conscious products. There is never a need for Ben Nye unless you're on stage, creating clown makeups or doing Special Makeup Effects. 

</div>

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:f1ac0c38-b2ae-4b11-8334-a47a2c21de05">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations? : No. The Monistat Chafing Powder-gel contains the same ingredients as ANTI-SHINE (i.e. a product used to cut the oil build up and knock down shine instantly) NOT Primer (<strong>i.e. a product designed and used to fill uneven areas, including lines, and anchor product to the skin thus keeping it in place, which can be a little drying, but that's what keeps the product in place)</strong>.  The difference is that the Monistat or Anti-Shine has SLIDE -meaning it will move! There is no way for it to maintain on the skin for an extended period of time without moving or sliding on the skin. This product should not be used as a primer. Just because there is powder in it doesn't mean its a primer. I only use this for an instant fix to knock down shine for camera. It doesn't hold up very long and usually needs to be touched up frequently.  As for Ben Nye... these products are old school theater cosmetics. They are heavier and contain a lot of oil. DO NOT use these products if you have sensitive skin... You WILL break out! Someone who doesn't use makeup on a regular basis, has sensitive skin AND hyper pigmentation, who is also concerned with break-outs should NEVER go near Ben Nye, there is no need!  Products like Makeup Forever, Becca, Nars, Laura Mercier, Shesiedo and even Aveda have formulated much better sensitive skin conscious products. There is never a need for Ben Nye unless you're on stage, creating clown makeups or doing Special Makeup Effects. 

<div>Brita - I have a question for you related to the comment about primers being drying. I have very, very dry skin but still occassionally get zits as well as have very large under eye circles. If my skin gets too dry I find that my foundationg/concealer does not last at all. Does this mean I should be wary of primers? Or just use one more for dry skin? </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_traditional-makeup-ladies-primers-and-foundations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:72af45bc-5021-4851-b40f-1cf10b1f7565Post:4a55e32c-2bde-4c58-b876-db343b4df3d7">Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Traditional makeup ladies--Primers and Foundations? : Brita - I have a question for you related to the comment about primers being drying. I have very, very dry skin but still occassionally get zits as well as have very large under eye circles. If my skin gets too dry I find that my foundationg/concealer does not last at all. Does this mean I should be wary of primers? Or just use one more for dry skin? 
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

Emee, Im certainly no specialist but Ive done a lot of researching lately like a crazy person--I think primers are really for everyone.  Just don't get the ones advertised for oilier skin, unless you have very acne prone skin but it doesn't sound like you do.  I would think you just have to make sure you moisturize well underneath with any primer beforehand (one suited for your skin type)
  • staceyletestaceylete member
    First Comment
    edited November 2012
    My favourites are:

MUFE HD Primer
    Laura Mercier Primer
    Smashbox Primier in LIGHT
    Benefit POREfessional

Make sure not to put TOO many products on your face as you will create "slip" which will make it harder for your makeup to last throughout the day. You can try a hydrating/moisterising primier like Eve Pearl's too!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards