Chit Chat

XP: NWR - Mac or PC?

FI & I are in the market for a new laptop. Which one would you go with?

We will be using it mostly for my online classes & just our general, everyday web-surfing. Nothing fancy shmancy like making videos, music, etc.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC?

• sparent2010sparent2010 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We built our own PCs and love it. For general use and not being graphic dependent you can get a great computer for less than an apple.

I have had both and Apple was great and PC is great it just depends on how much you want to spend etc.

Currently I have a Fujitisu tablet that I can write on etc that I got for classes. Which is nice and was less than the macbook by like 300 dollars.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited March 2012
    I personally love Macs. I bought a macbook and it lasted 8 years with no problems until I had a party and someone spilled wine on it. I thought it was definitely worth the investment... but I was in computer art classes and macs are great for designing. If you are just messing around on it and using it for Office, I'd go with a pc.
  • I love my Macbook and I will probably always buy Mac. I find it to be more reliable and "ages" slower than PC. But if you just need the internet. Word, Excel, etc I'd get a cheap Dell or something.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-nwr-mac-or-pc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:984521aa-41a3-4b20-9407-7d5b9ae46810Post:20b30e56-a899-4485-95f5-bc1afb40d57c">Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love my Macbook and I will probably always buy Mac. <strong>I find it to be more reliable and "ages" slower than PC.</strong> But if you just need the internet. Word, Excel, etc I'd get a cheap Dell or something.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

This 100%.  My FI has a Mac laptop that is seven years old, and it's faster and more reliable than my mom's 2-year old Toshiba laptop.  I'll admit, I did get a bit of sticker shock when I bought my first Mac, but I know I'll have it for a loooong time (compared with my PC laptops, which lasted 2-3 years for me on average) so it felt like a good investment.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • I have never owned anything other than a MAC, and I highly suggest them.  I had my first mac for 7 years and it never got a virus or crapped out on me.  My fiance had a pc labtop that got a virus within 6 months and had to spend a lot of money to get it fixed, and now it is a year old and run soooo slow.  He doesn't even use it any more because he uses my MAC.  I know MACs are more expensice, but I think it's worth it in the end.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hm, tough decisions. I like that the general consensus is that Macs last longer. I had a DELL Inspiron that only lasted 2.5 years. I think we'd definitely be willing to pay the extra $ to get a laptop that will last us a long time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I dislike Macs tremendously.  I think like a PC and not like a Mac.  It really does make a difference.  Some people just get how Macs work and some people get how PCs work.  Sure, you can adjust... but I have a Mac at work and would like to introduce it to a baseball bat most of the time.

I'm on my second Sony Vaio and I'm in love :-)  My first one lasted six years and this is one is doing perfectly in its third.
  • angelstar975angelstar975 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I had PCs all my life.. several desktops and then 2 HP laptops. I absolutely LOVED them, I swore I was a PC, would always ben a PC, Macs were stupid, etc.

My ex bought an iMac after his Dell broke and I thought it was kinda cool and the graphics were way better than on my HP laptop. Then, I started dating FI and he had a Macbook which I thought was pretty cool. My laptop broke a month later and on a whim, I decided to replace it with a Macbook Pro. BEST DECISION EVER. I love it... it's faster, the graphics are better, I don't really have to worry about viruses... I haven't had a single problem with it. Granted, I've only had it for a year, but it's exactly like the day I bought it, whereas I felt both my PC laptops had started to slow down by a year in.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • For what you are planning to do with it, a Mac might not be worth the cost.  You can get a laptop that functions for your needs for around $400, but you'll spend at least $1000 for a Mac.

I think it comes down to user preference.  I like PC just because that's what I'm used to, it's what I have at work, and it's what H knows how to fix.  I've used Macs before though and I do like them, but for familiarity, I stick with PC.
    Anniversary
  • Macs are overpriced IMO. Go with a PC. If you were doing a desktop I'd say definitely build your own - SO much cheaper. We just built one and use it mostly for gaming. If anyone has played WoW, I can raid for a couple hours on the highest graphic settings and there's no lag, plus there is still cool air blowing out of the computer. All that greatness and it was I think less than $500 (FI bought all the parts so I'm not 100% sure on the cost).

Anyways, as for actual laptop recommendations, Dells and Gateways are the ones with the most reported problems (I don't have a "source" other than my sister who sees complaints on computers every day. She works for a place that sells a LOT of computers and directly deals with customer issues). I'd recommend a Sony Vaio, Toshiba, maybe HP or what I got - a Samsung. I didn't even know Samsung made laptops until I saw the one I got. I wanted to game on it so it's good for that, it's really highly rated, and it was pretty decently priced (about $750, bought it a little less than 2 years ago). My friend is ordering an HP and I think it's around $600.

Hope that helps some!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • The Knot ate my post.

I love Sony Vaio.  My first one lasted 6 years with no problems; my new one is on year three and perfect.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-nwr-mac-or-pc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:984521aa-41a3-4b20-9407-7d5b9ae46810Post:62645506-4450-49da-bacd-edf26c7795a3">Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never owned anything other than a MAC, and I highly suggest them.  I had my first mac for 7 years and it never got a virus or crapped out on me.  My fiance had a pc labtop that got a virus within 6 months and had to spend a lot of money to get it fixed, and now it is a year old and run soooo slow.  He doesn't even use it any more because he uses my MAC.  I know MACs are more expensice, but I think it's worth it in the end.  
    Posted by ginabean82[/QUOTE]

I have a Macbook and FI has a Dell.  His has rebuilt twice due to being eaten alive by viruses (to be fair, it's his fault because he isn't very computer savvy and never runs antivirus software when he should.  I have taken over that duty for him), but I find him jacking my Macbook most of the time.  :)

My dad is a die hard Apple fan, and that's how I was raised.  The apple store is his personal nirvana (great for me, I get his hand-me-down computers when he wants a new one!)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I'm a recent Mac convert.

Both FI and I have had a lot of trouble with PCs of different brands (Dell, Sony, and HP). We've had THREE PC laptops in the last 18 months that quit (as in, completely died) within 3 months of buying them, all due to hardware/build quality, and all required mailing them back to the company be fixed. Sony lost one, and HP and Dell both sent laptops back that were still broken and required being sent in multiple times in order to get one back that was usable.  The Dell is still broken and they will no longer fix or replace it (and it was more expensive than our Macs!)

We simply CANNOT afford to have non-functioning laptops as we use them for school and for work.

I won a MacBook Air as the door prise at my work Christmas party and fell in love.   I bough FI another one three weeks later, and we are both 100% satisfied.   Best decision we ever made, and I wish we had made it sooner instead of spending $2500 on three laptops that are essentially unusable.
    DSC_9275
  • Depends.  Macs are stable machines, but you can't customize them...easily.

PC's are a little less stable, but they pretty much let you do whatever you want with them.

PC's are also a lot less expensive, depending on what specifications you need.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Most often computer issues: mysteriously dying or viruses are generally due to user error.

Macs get viruses just like PCs since a greater population of people use PC they are programs more commonly written for them. As Macs become more common place in businesses you will be surprised at how fast viruses will begin to spread.

To keep your computer alive and well has less to do with the brand and a lot more with the user if you taking care of it there is no reason it cannot last forever.

I liked my powerbook but since I can build my own PC now by using Newegg etc I would rather go that route. It is not that hard and actually the cheapest option for a much better product.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-nwr-mac-or-pc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:984521aa-41a3-4b20-9407-7d5b9ae46810Post:f3b71a91-9d4a-4519-971d-56cb5a93de96">Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Most often computer issues: mysteriously dying or viruses are generally due to user error.</strong> Macs get viruses just like PCs since a greater population of people use PC they are programs more commonly written for them. As Macs become more common place in businesses you will be surprised at how fast viruses will begin to spread. To keep your computer alive and well has less to do with the brand and a lot more with the user if you taking care of it there is no reason it cannot last forever. I liked my powerbook but since I can build my own PC now by using Newegg etc I would rather go that route. It is not that hard and actually the cheapest option for a much better product.
    Posted by sparent2010[/QUOTE]

<div>Not necessarily.  Of the three I described above, the Dell had a several keyboards, screens, and one hard drive that needed to be replaced (no significant traume or dropping, just stopped working on several different computers), the HP had the screen completely stop working with no trauma or dropping, and the Sony had a massive hard drive failure.    No viruses, no user error, just poor product quality and took forever to fix.   </div>
    DSC_9275
  • I just switched to a macbook pro. I use it for class, so just Microsoft Office and web browsing. No problems so far, and I do like some of the programs that are built in - but there are a lot of things that the Mac comes with that I'll never, ever use. 

Macbook Pro's battery life is fantastic, though. Much better than my Dell. Although in every other aspect, I think the Dell was pretty comparable for what I wanted to do with a computer. 

I will say that having an iPhone and a Mac has made me a lot more organized - the Cloud integration of my calendars is a dream come true. 

When I was shopping for computers, my company's computer guy told me that Asus is a fantastic brand - they're the company that builts parts for most other laptops, and just started making their own. They don't really advertise so the computers tend to be a little cheaper, but are literally the exact same thing as Dells, HPs, etc. They're ugly, though, not gonna lie :)

Hope that helps!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-nwr-mac-or-pc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:984521aa-41a3-4b20-9407-7d5b9ae46810Post:f3b71a91-9d4a-4519-971d-56cb5a93de96">Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most often computer issues: mysteriously dying or viruses are generally due to user error. <strong>Macs get viruses just like PCs</strong> since a greater population of people use PC they are programs more commonly written for them. As Macs become more common place in businesses you will be surprised at how fast viruses will begin to spread. To keep your computer alive and well has less to do with the brand and a lot more with the user if you taking care of it there is no reason it cannot last forever. I liked my powerbook but since I can build my own PC now by using Newegg etc I would rather go that route. It is not that hard and actually the cheapest option for a much better product.
    Posted by sparent2010[/QUOTE]

<div>This is also not true. Macs are based on a different coding system. So, unlike PCs, where viruses can download and run at will depending on the system settings, at requires the user to input their password in order to install a program, even if their password is blank or empty (i.e. they have no password). So, as long as the user exercises common sense and is aware of what they are putting their password in for and telling the computer to do, they will not be able to get viruses. </div><div>
    </div><div>I've been a Mac user since 2006 and will never go back. They simply last longer and have fewer issues. Plus, if you need help or to get something fixed, it's very easy to take into an Apple store. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-nwr-mac-or-pc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:984521aa-41a3-4b20-9407-7d5b9ae46810Post:dbeb39eb-9d11-4dcf-80b4-35d7db65e55a">Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC? : This is also not true. Macs are based on a different coding system. So, unlike PCs, where viruses can download and run at will depending on the system settings, at requires the user to input their password in order to install a program, even if their password is blank or empty (i.e. they have no password). So, as long as the user exercises common sense and is aware of what they are putting their password in for and telling the computer to do, they will not be able to get viruses.  I've been a Mac user since 2006 and will never go back. They simply last longer and have fewer issues. Plus, if you need help or to get something fixed, it's very easy to take into an Apple store. 
    Posted by hayis4horses[/QUOTE]

Did you read the article posted above?  It talked specifically about a Trojan that exploits vulnerabilities in Java, without being dependent on what the user does.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-nwr-mac-or-pc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:984521aa-41a3-4b20-9407-7d5b9ae46810Post:4de3e80a-b4a8-4d9f-bb31-bba4b7287a52">Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC? : Did you read the article posted above?  It talked specifically about a Trojan that exploits vulnerabilities in Java, without being dependent on what the user does.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I have read it...it is something that exploits Java in an older operating system if it was not updated. The latest Mac operating system, which wouldn't have this issue, came out last summer, so it's not like it's brand new and no one has upgraded yet. Also, even if someone is running a previous version of the operating system, as long as java was up to date, there will be no issues. Macs automatically check for such updates once a week, and generally people should be and are doing these updates. I should state that I may be biased, as I work for the company that macs Macs. But, I also still use a PC in my research lab (where I spend more time than I do at work) and have to be pretty up to date on both sides.

I'm not saying Macs are absolutely foolproof, nothing is. I guess it may have come across that way before, which isn't what I intended. It's always going to come down to user accountability and skill, really, but Macs take care of a lot of the security & maintenance things themselves. That, and if I can put my very technologically challenged parents and future in-laws in front of macs and they can learn to use them very quickly & easily, vs. the PC's that they struggled with for years, I think they have far more pros than cons.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would absolutely go PC over MAC, especially if you can built-your-own.

MACs, from what I know, can never be upgraded.  If you ever need to add more memory, change a graphics card, etc, you can't do that, at least not on your own.

Apple also charges an assload to service your computer, even for the most ridiculously small problem.

If you're doing design, music composition, or videos, I can see why you'd get a MAC.  If you're just doing basic computing, internet browsing, etc, I would just stick with a PC.  It's really not that hard to stay virus-free.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-nwr-mac-or-pc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:984521aa-41a3-4b20-9407-7d5b9ae46810Post:b1ad6b24-f205-40cd-a664-81f029d289d4">Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would absolutely go PC over MAC, especially if you can built-your-own. MACs, from what I know, can never be upgraded.  If you ever need to add more memory, change a graphics card, etc, you can't do that, at least not on your own. <strong>Apple also charges an assload to service your computer, even for the most ridiculously small problem. I</strong>f you're doing design, music composition, or videos, I can see why you'd get a MAC.  If you're just doing basic computing, internet browsing, etc, I would just stick with a PC.  It's really not that hard to stay virus-free.
    Posted by angelsong21[/QUOTE]

I have NEVER had to pay for the Genius Bar to service my MacBook.  Not once.  In fact, I even got a free power cord and a half priced battery when my cat chewed through my power cord 30 days after my warranty expired.  So I'm not sure where you got that information from.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Go with a Mac.

PC's generally don't ever last more than 3 years. Especially laptops. Their build quality is generally poor, and they get viruses easily and often.

Mac's generally last 5+ years. The build quality has not been surpassed. They do not get viruses and if anything ever goes wrong they are so easy to fix.

I used to be a PC person and thought Mac's were crazy overpriced until I got one. Now, I can not see myself ever going back. My computer at work makes me want to rip my hair out. It is constantly having issues and errors. It is three years old and will have to be replaced soon.

At home I have a four year old macbook that has been abused, that thing is a power house. Boot up is less than a minute, no errors, quick, and still has great battery life. I also have a seven year old iMac. Also a power house. Boot up takes less than a minute, and no problems.

I had one issue one time on my macbook where it popped up and said driver error run repair? I said yes and three minutes later my laptop was all happy again.

Plus, with a Mac you can bootcamp and run both windows and mac OS. So really, you're buying two computers that are just better quality. You cannot legally run Mac OS on a PC, and you cannot run both Mac OS and Windows on a PC simultaniously.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-nwr-mac-or-pc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:984521aa-41a3-4b20-9407-7d5b9ae46810Post:39c3ebde-2c09-48b8-8e67-73502b1f9fea">Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC? : Of course there are more viruses for PCs right now, but that is quickly changing.  All I was saying is that contrary to what you said, Mac users do have to be aware and cautious of viruses.  "Macs don't get viruses" is no longer a selling point for Macs.  If that's one of the bigger reasons you're considering a Mac over a PC you need to reconsider. No, it's not any harder to write them for Macs.  They don't much exist on Macs because until recently it was a waste of time for a hacker to write q virus for a Mac since almost no one (businesses especially) used them.  Now that people, and businesses in particular, are using Macs more often hackers are writing more viruses for them.  The number of viruses for Macs will quickly catch up to the number of PC viruses.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

It still isn't a problem. Anytime a new virus comes out on the Mac OS, Apple releases an update and that solves the problem. Apple is pretty quick with their updates too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-nwr-mac-or-pc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:984521aa-41a3-4b20-9407-7d5b9ae46810Post:d3153f61-4a05-45c2-b4d3-ba574d97023c">Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: NWR - Mac or PC? : Spoken like a true Apple Fanboy.  Thanks for your input.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. I have to be supportive though. My FI is a Mac technician. Formerly a Genius. So I get told all of this daily. ;)
  • Another vote for Mac.  I have a Macbook Air and I love it!  I would find it really hard to go back to a PC now.

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am absoulely sold on Mac. I was an avid PC user for years and when my FI's laptop crashed due to a nasty virus, I talked him into looking at a Mac.  He bought a MacBook Pro and we have been thrilled with it.  I still have my PC desktop but only use it to get things I have stored on it that I'm just too lazy to transfer over to the Mac.  After the wedding, we are planning on getting a second laptop so we can quit fighting over this one!  I am not able to give you specific reasons why you should choose one over the other, only that of the two, I have found the Mac to be very user friendly, less buggy and overall, just more fun to use.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards