Ohio-Cincinnati

Bridal & Formal Review & Other Bridal Salon Suggestions?

Hey ladies! I'm actually getting married in Milwaukee, but am flying to OH this weekend to go wedding dress shopping with my MOH. We're coming down to Cincinnati, particularly to check out Bridal & Formal. Any thoughts on them to help me prep? (I.E. Are they pushy? Easy to work with? Expect to be hounded or have to keep asking for help??)

Also, as long as we're down there, we'd like to check out a couple other places. What else would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Bridal & Formal Review & Other Bridal Salon Suggestions?

• edited December 2011
    I got my dress at bridal and formal.  I went on a weekday night and there was no one there except for me which was really nice because I had a dressing room all to myself (they are open dressing rooms, not individual ones).  I can't remember the name of the lady that helped me, but she let me go through all of the dresses in the stock room, so know some designers you like before you go in, and then she went through after she knew more of what I liked.  Take pictures of ones you like, know what shape you want your dress to be and you'll be fine.  I ended up buying a dress that was a little more money than I wanted to spend, the lady pulled it even though I had told her what I wanted to cap my price at.  So make sure you check all price tags because they pull anything 'close' to your price range. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mschneid02mschneid02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought they were fine.  And we negotiated which was nice, so if there are a few dresses that you think you'll like, check prices elsewhere so that if you do like it you have other prices to mention.
  • edited December 2011
    Ask for Tracy to help you

Be willing to try on dresses in a room of girls ala locker room

They will always negotiate their prices.  I think my dress was 20% off list price

Be patient

Come in with an idea of what you want but be ready to blow that idea out of the water.  I thought I wanted lace vneck, I ended up with silk satin strapless
  • hccpsuhccpsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have an appointment?  I've heard the place is pretty crazy on weekends.

I bought my shoes there, but didn't do any dress shopping there. 
  • adfrasure1adfrasure1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went there 2 weeks ago with my bridesmaids and I was not impressed. I thought the dresses were hard to look at and find because they were all so smushed together. Also all my bridesmaid felt very incomfortable trying on dresses in front of other people (locker room style). It seemed kind of dirty as well, there were pins all over the ground and some dresses. I wouldn't recommend personally but it seems like other people had a good time there. I would suggest Bethany's bridal at the Greene or Alfred Angelo. They were all very helpful and much cleaner
  • mmskaricmmskaric member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is great. Thanks, ladies. Guess I'll need to pack the wedding binder so I can share what I'm thinking. (K, I was just looking for an excuse. :) )

We'll check out the other places, too.
  • kelklumpkelklump member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are quite a few great salons here in Cincy - I had great luck at Bridal and Formal but also loved Fabulous Bridal in Covington. There are plenty of places to try in the district (my friends loved European Bridal and I hated them). Give it a go, make a bunch of apts and try!
  • andersjcandersjc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It probably depends on who helps you. I had horrible service at B+F and I was the only one in the store on a weekday. The girl who helped me was not about commenting on any dress so either A. I looked awful in all of them, or B. she was having a very bad day. Either way it was no fun and I didn't mind the locker room style changing area.

Because of the poor service I had there I walked across the street to Cincinnati Bride. They were excited to help and gather dresses and although didn't tell me which dress looked best at least they talked to me and were excited about the big day.

I also went to Wendy's in Kenwood. I had good service there also. I didn't find my dress there but they were very easy to work with!

GL!
  • edited December 2011
    Luckily, B and F is in the Reading bridal district.  So you can hop across the street to some other bridal shops too.  I loved Cincinnati Bride, because there are private dressing rooms and they are helpful but not pushy.  I got my dress there.  European Bridal has gorgeous gowns but a small selection. Their main saleswoman is very pushy and stands way too close, which made me very uncomfortable.  I tried to tell them I was just looking and was just starting my search, but she kind of forced me to try on dresses, which looked nothing like what I said I wanted.  European has beautiful jewelry and accessories upstairs and down. 
    B and F also has great shoes and headpieces.  They gave me a private fitting room for my bridesmaid--I think you just have to ask.
    Good luck!  It can be so much fun.  Just don't let them talk you into something you don't love.
    I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cincinnati Bride got my business.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • schroeadschroead member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did not like that place at all. They really didn't care about what I liked/didn't like. I was just shopping around for ideas at the time and nobody even wanted to help me.

A great shop in the bridal district was Jamie and Jovannah Bridal. I may have the spelling wrong but...its close. Their shop is small, but packed with dresses, and the ladies are extremely nice and were very helpful. While I didn't end up buying my dress there, I still reccomend them!
    !Happily Married!
  • edited December 2011
    I went to Bridal and Formal.
    I went on a Thursday at 11am with my mom, MOH, and FI.  I was the only bride in my room.  I got attention.  She didn't mind that I wanted to try on bridesmaids dresses.
    The thing is you cannot take photos until you find "the" dress and you agree to buy it.  So you cannot send pictures to get opinions.  My mom wanted to get a photograph of me in a big big dress, but we couldn't.
    They pin your hair up and put a veil and what not in.  They pampered me or whatever - honestly I'm not all for that I'm just there to buy a dress.  And they didn't mind when the dress I chose was a 200 dollar bridesmaid's dress.
    I do suggest going on a weekday early.  There were only 4 other brides.
    I also like going to Madison Avenue in Kentucky to their bridal shops.  My sister got her dress at one down there ( I can't remember) and they were really nice.  Sorry, it's been awhile and I just wasn't paying attention all too well.
    the wedded pups - large
    jason + katherine - wedded 6.18.2011
  • edited December 2011
    European Bridal right across is where I found THE dress. Their selection is not as huge as B&F or Cincy Bride, but they DO have some REALLY pretty ones there, so you should definitely stop in.
  • edited December 2011
    Bridal and formal is great. I bought  my dress there. Cory is amazing. Don't listen about the locker room style. They do have private rooms if you ask for them. They're great.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • cincy32011cincy32011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    B&F is very hit or miss based on which consultant you get.  I used Sandy, and she was great.  She listened to what I liked and disliked and grabbed dresses based on that.  I think you'll hear good and bad about them all. 

Fabulous bridal has a gorgeous selection and amazing experience but tends to be a bit pricier

My issue with Cincinnati Bride (a division of Wendy's) and European Bridal are that they carry "Exclusive" brands that, in some cases, are national brands that they change the tags on.  For example, European Bridal carries a line called "Artistic Bridal", but this is basically just Allure with a different label which makes it more difficult to get price comparisons.

It depends on what you're looking for, and I think you need to try at least two or three before you make a decision.
    image 286 Invited
    image 243 Attending
    image 42 Declined
    image 1 Unknown
    RSVP Date: February 12
  • ungraceful13ungraceful13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had an ok time at Bridal and Formal. They were a bit pushy for me. But I got my dress from Madison Avenue Bridal in Covington. I had great service and they had a good variety of dresses as well.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CincyBride29CincyBride29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want the real "bridal experience" then you have to check out Fabulous Bridal.  You will be pampered and served champagne.  I went to both Bridal & Formal (1st) and then Fabulous Bridal as well as some others.  Bridal and Formal ruined my first dress shopping experience because they got pissed I was not going to buy a dress that day and were very rude to me after they figured that out.  Fabulous Bridal has been AMAZING to work with.  I have had several things go wrong with my dress and they have made sure to get the changes made as quick as possible and constantly make sure I am happy with the outcome.  If you go there ask for Angelia...she is the sweetest person!

GL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    220 Invited image 163 Attending image 57 Declined image 0 Not Replied image
    RSVP Date: June 18th
  • dschuck23dschuck23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second going to B & F during the week... it's much less hectic.  I ended up having to go on a Saturday in order to get the trunk show price and it was crazy but I agree, Corey is AWESOME!!
  • edited December 2011
    I loved bridal and formal however I ended up buygin my dress at Wendys (and regretting it terribly!)  I second fabulous bridal in Covington. They are fantatsic
  • edited December 2011
    There are two bridal districts in the Greater Cincinnati Area.  Bridal and Formal being the mecca in the Reading Bridal District.  If you go a little further south to Kentucky, you will find Fabulous Bridal in the Covington Bridal District.  My personal favorite was Madison Avenue Bridal in Covington.  Ani, the owner, was a sweetheart.  They can even custom design dresses.  And their prices are great. 
  • mmskaricmmskaric member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey ladies! Just wanted to give you my follow up review of Bridal and Formal. We got there before they opened Saturday morning, so we were able to get help right away. (Glad we did...we came back later for BM dresses and the bridal side was NUTS!!) We did end up in the "locker room" dressing room, but by the end of the trying on process, I was standing around in my undies, not even noticing...You get over that quickly when pretty much everyone is. :)

Maura was the person helping me out. She did a great job, but ultimately, it was my MOH who pulled out the dress that I picked. I really planned on just getting ideas and using a store here in Milwaukee, but they gave me such a great deal that I purchased that day.

With that purchase, I also got 20% off BM dresses. Since the MOH ordered the same day, that 20% actually turned into 25%. (And free earrings...they really stressed that. :) )

• mhard10mhard10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mmskaric,

I was also there before it opened! Were you the first bride in line? If so, the dress you picked was gorgeous! I enjoyed my experience there and thought Sandy, my consultant, was amazing...she actually pulled the dress I bought! Congrats on finding the dress! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards