New Jersey

How big is your diamond?

The post below made me curious as to what the "average" center stone is...
~Chelsea~
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How big is your diamond?

• edited December 2011
    I voted 2-3, mine is a little but over 2, but it has a huge table and i have little fingers, so  many people think it is closer to 3.  I love my ring though it is a family heirloom which makes it really special and I love that my band has that antique look because it goes well with the diamond which is an old European round cut (it looks a little  different than the modern round cut).
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a poll like this before and I remember being very surprised the other day that people didn't seem to spend much on their wedding bands, considering the answers to the size of their e-ring. (Of course the original poll was a while back and could have had completely different people answering.)

ETA: I just found the poll. I guess it just so happened that at the time I originally looked at the results most people were under $1k for both, which seemed really low to me. Looks like the percentages went higher as more people answered, so I take it back.
  • kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Melissa- E-ring and wedding band are completely different stories.  I know a lot of people with large e-rings and relatively simple wedding bands.  If the wedding band doesn't have any diamonds then it only gets so expensive.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Eh I don't totally agree. (Unless you're getting a plain band as you said, although I think most women do get diamonds on their bands these days?)
  • edited December 2011
    I was surprised as well, but the bands tend to cost less because the diamonds used are smaller no?
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Tiff and Jaimelody.  Also, you can't necessarily tell from the size of the center stone whether it was any more or less expensive than a bigger/smaller stone, because quality plays into price so much.
    Also, I think some girls go for plain wedding bands not because of cost but because of style.  That was definitely my situation.  Diamond bands are definitely not my style, and I therefore have an inexpensive wedding band.
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_big-diamond?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:b589a4cd-5764-4530-9cbf-852eb12689caPost:e37a0d42-7e7c-42f7-8290-0e620cd62e83">Re: How big is your diamond?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Tiff and Jaimelody.  Also, you can't necessarily tell from the size of the center stone whether it was any more or less expensive than a bigger/smaller stone, because quality plays into price so much. Also, I think some girls go for plain wedding bands not because of cost but because of style.  That was definitely my situation.  Diamond bands are definitely not my style, and I therefore have an inexpensive wedding band.
    Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]

I think I did not express my thoughts clearly. What I was trying to say was that in the original center stone poll, it seemed the results were skewed toward the higher end of size. So when the band poll seemed to skew to <$1k for both, it struck me as odd. But when I looked back at the poll now, the results were actually higher than when I initially looked when more people weighed in, so I think my initial impression wasn't accurate.
  • edited December 2011
    I have to say I'm surprised that the average size is so high.  And I'm jealous of all those 2-3 carat girls...not that I don't love my ring, cause I do!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was adament about having a very plain band but I have a 2ct center stone. Then again my friend has a 1.5 center but the total cost of her ering was more because of the Ritani band she wanted. It's all about your personal preferences I think.

Also the cost of the metal is a factor- platinum vs. white gold/yellow gold
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not just the size that matters.  It's also clarity and color.

I have a friend with a bigger center stone but you can see a visible black spot with your naked eye when you look into it (carbon inclusion).  Her stone was over 3K cheaper than mine because of the quality.  Mine you can't see any visible inclusions.

Also cut matters and the proportion of the cut.

Bigger does NOT mean more money was spent (sometimes)!
  • edited December 2011
    Mine is 1.6 and most people think it is over 2k because my fingers are very short.  I think the size of the stone HAS to be proportional to the size of her hand.....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards