Florida-South Florida
Options

Meeting with Venues - need advice

So I'm finally narrowing down the list, getting some numbers, and meeting with venues!  I want to finalize the paperwork and sign a contract already!

Any advice when meeting with venues?  For example, I am meeting with Biltmore, should I mention their dwindling financial status?  Would that help in negotiations?  I'd feel better knowing that the Biltmore will not be in foreclosure during my wedding and would want some type of reassurance about that.

Also, what are the little nickel and dime fees I should worry about? I've heard about cake cutting fees... what else is there I should know about prior to my meeting?

Overall, how should I conduct the meeting?  All advice will help, because I have no idea what to expect right now.

Re: Meeting with Venues - need advice

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Dont be over enthusiastic but be friendly. Remember, you're dropping a lot of money in ONE place... so if there are things you don't like or want to change, tell them. If they won't do it... move on. You can definitely mention the financial status of the hotel if you feel it may help. Basically just be straightforward with them. Tell them exactly what you want and what you expect.
    :: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::
  • Options
    Rainbow17Rainbow17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Should I mention something about the coordinators being very difficult to get a hold of!  Biltmore again - the lady I'm meeting with won't retun my calls or emails.  I left her voicemail last week, after she met with my parents and she never got back to me.  Also sent her an email, still nothing.  Sent her another today - and finally got a response.

I don't like the idea of doing business with someone who is so hard to get a hold of!  Should I mention this when meeting them?  If so, how can I say it without soundy bitchy?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well most likely the person you're meeting with is the same person who you haven't been able to get in touch with. If not, I would DEFINITELY mention this as a concern.

You could say something like "we had a hard time communicating and I just want to make sure this isn't normal practice if I decide to have my wedding here."
    :: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just remember everything is negotiable
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    remember to be very straight forward with them. I would definitly mention the hotels financial status. Make sure to read the fine print, very important!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yes! read the fine print!!! and like lynette said, tell them that you dont want them to be hard to get a hold off if you sign. make sure to ask questions regarding corkage fee's, cake cutting fees.... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also Miami-Dade has an additional tax than Palm Beach or Broward. I think its a Miami Sales Tax that is an additional 6 or 9%. Service charge is around 20%
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had the same problem with the Biltmore and finally gave up on them.  If they wouldn't call back when I was considering spending a lot of money there then I didn't trust they would be very receptive once I signed a contract and they knew they had my money in the bag.  Just how I felt.  I ended up choosing a spanish mansion literally down the street from the Biltmore in Coral Gables called Comber Hall.  The woman that runs it is so nice, helpful, sweet. 

http://www.sylviasweddings.com/

I know you said you had it narrowed down so you may not want somewhere new, but it is two blocks away and she returns my calls and emails within a few hours (even on Sunday mornings and despite the fact my wedding there isnt for a year and a half). 

When I was looking i found a hotel that provided a coordinator but you had to pay extra for them to show up on a saturday wedding - thats the only fee question I can think of on top of cake cutting/corkage/ and maybe the price for children and vendors meals?
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards