Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Shower Invite Question

I had sent my half sister a card asking her to be a bridesmaid in my wedding, but she had to decline since it's a destination wedding. We're not extremely close. Should she be invited to the bridal shower? Like most brides, I feel kind of awkward inviting anyone to the bridal shower that I already know can't attend the wedding. My mom says she shouldn't be on the shower guest list, but I'm looking for an unbiased opinion. My half sister just got an apartment, and is in college, so I know she doesn't have a lot to spare for a gift. I don't want her to feel obligated, especially since we hardly see each other.

Re: Shower Invite Question

• Options
    I think you should invite her. Just because she can't afford to travel to be in the wedding doesn't mean she wouldn't like to attend a party celebrating you. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

Ditto Liatris.

Also, you shouldn't be sending out invitations to your own bridal shower. That is the responsibility of your hostess(es).

• Options
    I'd invite her.  As long as the guest in question has received a wedding invitation, they can be invited to pre- or post-wedding parties regardless of whether or not they accepted the wedding invitation.
  • Options
    You could hand write a note in the invite saying, "I know you can't attend our DW but I would love to see you if you're able to attend the shower." Etc. Or have someone spread by word of mouth that you really would not be offended if she didn't bring a gift.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards