Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Filet,Gourmet Mac & Cheese and....?

One of the best wedding meals that I ever had was filet mignon, artisan macaroni and cheese and asparagus. We have decided to do something similar, but are really some of the only ones in our families who like asparagus. The caterer has suggested whole string beans(an idea I hate), cauliflower (which i dont even eat) and mixed veggies (not a fan). Does anyone have a better idea? I am at a loss here....its already hard to make macaroni and cheese look elegant (even though its yummy), so I need a nice veggie to round out the plate. Thanks guys!
Im usually typing on my Ipad...so forgive the typos! I promise I'm not illiterate. :)

Re: Filet,Gourmet Mac & Cheese and....?

• edited December 2011
    Roasted peppers?  Portabella mushroom slices?  Broccoli? 
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the mixed vegetable meadly is the way to go.  I would stay away from broccoli and asparagus since those two are strong smellig and a lot of people do not like them.  Also the roasted peppers and mushrooms sound great but your plate needs a green.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    That's a good point about the color.  What's wrong with green beans?  We had a mix of steamed green and wax beans, and they looked nice, IMO.  
  • edited December 2011
    Sauteed spinach? 

Grilled zucchini and summer squash? 

Green salad? P.S. You didn't mention it one way or the other, but I think if you are serving a separate salad course that some green on the plate is unnecessary. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the great suggestions girls! I agree, we definitely need some color. We will have a mixed green w/vinagrette salad to start but I had hoped for a nice veg to round out the main course. We are having a charleston,sc beach house garden reception, so my worry is that the food will look inelegant I suppose, when the locstion is already pretty informal. I love the spinach idea and the grilled veggie idea....im going to run those by the caterer!
    Im usually typing on my Ipad...so forgive the typos! I promise I'm not illiterate. :)
  • edited December 2011
    You could go with some broccoli rabe. It's wonderful if prepared correctly, goes great with the creaminess of mac n cheese, and has a great bite to complement the richness of a good filet.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_filetgourmet-mac-cheese?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:943cead2-3f0b-4148-b374-cbd444b54f25Post:09a388be-5740-426f-bfae-5e5461efc77b">Re: Filet,Gourmet Mac & Cheese and....?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could go with some broccoli rabe. It's wonderful if prepared correctly, goes great with the creaminess of mac n cheese, and has a great bite to complement the richness of a good filet.
    Posted by WaterPig83[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Or kale or swiss chard sauteed with garlic.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    What about snow peas and red peppers sauteed in garlic?
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_filetgourmet-mac-cheese?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:943cead2-3f0b-4148-b374-cbd444b54f25Post:2e954790-8d04-4dd6-af9b-8a5e856b40c5">Re: Filet,Gourmet Mac & Cheese and....?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about snow peas and red peppers sauteed in garlic?
    Posted by PinkRoseAcct[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was thinking.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards