North Carolina

BOYA(lcohol) - Suggestions, Advice, etc

Hi NC Knotties!

I found a caterer that allows us to bring our own alcohol (beer, wine, liquor).  They are providing all the mixers, sodas, garnishes, ice, etc for a small price per person.

My questions for you guys are about getting a good deal on alcohol in NC, as well as NC laws/practices.  I'm not very familiar with them.

First off, do places like Costco/BJ's/Sam's sell liquor in NC?  Do you need a membership to purchase?  Are there discounts on the liquor for buying in bulk?  Does the state of NC offer any returns on any unopened bottles (this is applicable for wine and liquor).  For wine, I know I can buy that from a lot more retailers than the ABC store - anyone had any luck returning unopened bottles to certain retailers?

Any advice you guys could provide would be awesome.  Thanks so much!

Re: BOYA(lcohol) - Suggestions, Advice, etc

• You can only buy liquor from the ABC store in NC. 

We got our champagne (you could get wine too) from Total Wine.  They can give a discount based on the amount you buy.  I think they'll do buybacks but I'm not really sure, we just kept our extras.
  • MyUserName1MyUserName1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Okay, in NC, you can only buy hard liquour from the ABC store.  I can't advise additionally on that (bulk, returns, etc.)

Wine and beer are sold everywhere else. Trader Joes has a bulk discount and will take unopened returns. I believe Total Wine will as well

ETA: Stupid TK.  Pirate's post wasn't showing before.  *shakes fist*
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    It's okay, MUNI.  TK has been censoring me all morning.  I'm surprised things are showing up at all now.
  • One of the things I miss most about NY!  You could buy liquor in cases and return unopened bottles.  AND you could buy it on (gasp) Sundays and holidays! 

I know a friend of mine got her wedding liquor on a marine base.  She said it was cheaper but I don't know exactly what it cost.  But you have to know someone to get you on base or to buy it for you.

I am facing the same problem as I can bring my own liquor and the venue provides beer and wine. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Stupid NC.. I'm used to Northern states - alcohol everywhere!

I figured that it was just gonna be going to the ABC store, but I was hopeful that some other possibility existed.  Ah well.

Thanks guys :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_boyalcohol-suggestions-advice-etc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:f2a95725-136a-4137-8e39-dacb4567f162Post:20a56750-df89-4e1c-b19d-5f73fa2a3527">Re: BOYA(lcohol) - Suggestions, Advice, etc</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of the things I miss most about NY!  You could buy liquor in cases and return unopened bottles. <strong> AND you could buy it on (gasp) Sundays and holidays!</strong>  I know a friend of mine got her wedding liquor on a marine base.  She said it was cheaper but I don't know exactly what it cost.  But you have to know someone to get you on base or to buy it for you. I am facing the same problem as I can bring my own liquor and the venue provides beer and wine. 
    Posted by RivieraBound[/QUOTE]

<div>Alright now, none of that.  Those laws are county and municiple, not state.  If you're going to talk shiit, at least get your facts straight. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_boyalcohol-suggestions-advice-etc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:f2a95725-136a-4137-8e39-dacb4567f162Post:4678e3dc-98fe-49b8-bcbb-13639b54c3cc">Re: BOYA(lcohol) - Suggestions, Advice, etc</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Stupid NC.. I'm used to Northern states - alcohol everywhere!</strong> I figured that it was just gonna be going to the ABC store, but I was hopeful that some other possibility existed.  Ah well. Thanks guys :)
    Posted by caseystain[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh, the irony. </div>
  • Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Actually, North Carolina ABC laws regarding buying on Sunday and various times are statewide, not county or municipal.  The only thing NC counties/cities have control over is whether or not the counties/cities sell various types of alcohol at all (either at stores or restaurants) which is how you get dry counties and cities throughout NC. This may be different in other states, though.  I recently read the NC ABC statutes and regulations for a nonprofit project we are working on and they are very interesting.  ---and for what it's worth, I don't think the ABC store will buy back unopened bottles...

Each state has its own wierd rules, southern or not -- in Colorado, you could get liquor at privately owned liquor stores so there was price competition as opposed to buying through the state ABC stores like you do here, but you couldn't buy alcohol on Sunday at all (here at least you just have to wait until 1)! 
  • Beth, I meant the laws prohibiting sales on Sunday are county or municiple.  The state law doesn't prohibit sales on Sunday entirely, only limits the timing.  Some cities and counties may restrict this further.  (I know you know the law better than me, I just wanted to clarify what I was trying to say.  I'm probably still not clear) 
  • RivieraBoundRivieraBound member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_boyalcohol-suggestions-advice-etc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:f2a95725-136a-4137-8e39-dacb4567f162Post:cdc78bed-da2d-4ddc-a0de-059fa3d05ea3">Re: BOYA(lcohol) - Suggestions, Advice, etc</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BOYA(lcohol) - Suggestions, Advice, etc : Alright now, none of that.  Those laws are county and municiple, not state.  If you're going to talk shiit, at least get your facts straight. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

Read my post again.  I was talking about liquor, not alcohol in general.  Show me a county or municiple that has open ABC stores on Sundays so I can tuck it away for future reference.

If YOU'RE going to talk shiiiit, at least read my post correctly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • elldee333elldee333 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I'm not sure where you are in NC, or if you'd be able to do this, but I'm in Charlotte near the SC border and when we need to stock up for a party or something we go to Frugal MacDoogal's. The prices are a little better there than an ABC store.

ETA: Typo...note to self, state line is definitely a "border", not a "boarder"
  • Liquor is state controlled and prices are the same scross the state. No breaks for quantities. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a larger bottle, but not by much.
     The tricky part in NC comes into play with where you will be serving the alcohol. If it is a private residence, no worries. If it is an establishment that already has a liqour license i.e. bar, club restaurant, hotel banquet room,  most times you are grandfathered in under their permit. If it is a public building without a liquor permit, you will have to obtain one. Sometimes the caterer will take care of this, but make sure. Just Readup at NCABC.com
  • Casey,

What is the name of the caterer you used and what venue let you bring in the caterer and alcohol?

Thanks, Alex
  • What's the name of the caterer you use? If you don't mind me asking?
  • Lyoung54 said:
    What's the name of the caterer you use? If you don't mind me asking?
    Zooooooombie thread. 

OP isn't even active anymore. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards