• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
Catholic Weddings

Marriage recognized by Church?

My FI and I are planning to get married on my old college campus in their chapel. It is non-denominational but our Catholic preist will be travelling (wedding is out of state) and performing the ceremony. Our main concern right now is if the Catholic Church will reconize our marriage since it will be performed outside of the catholic church. Does anyone know how this works or who we might need to reach out to?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Marriage recognized by Church?

  • Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    edited December 2011
    Well, there is no way for us to really know--you should talk to your priest about it, but I'm assuming since the priest has agreed to use this chapel it is okay?
  • lburkey21lburkey21 member
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Well, our priest isn't quite sure either since he is our local priest up here in Boston and our wedding is in Ohio. Since we will be in Ohio for Thanksgiving he would like us to ask around to see if we can find anything out. I guess maybe we should just start by asking a local priest...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

    Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    Knottie Warrior 2500 Comments 25 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    i believe there is paperwork (a dispensation) that must be completed in order for the ceremony to be performed outside of the Church.  your priest shoudl know what this is and how to go abotu filling it out.
  • Clare13Clare13 member
    edited December 2011
    You should check with the local archdiocese.  You can just call their offices.  They would know exactly what needs to be done to ensure that the marriage is blessed in the church. 
  • edited December 2011
    From what I have read, the Catholic Church does not recognize a wedding outside of the Church (a building), whether it is officiated by a Catholic priest or not.  The dispensation is given in extreme cases, such as one of the parties is being sent to war the next day, or something like that -serious.  I am afraid that your dream of getting married on your campus, may not be serious enough.  It may differ by Archdiocese. I would find their website and contact their monsignor or somoene who knows what they are talking about before getting my hopes up.  You can also have it there and then a small, family only ceremony in church... I did not want that, so we decided to just go with the church.

    Good Luck, and update us how it went. Maybe the rules can be bent somehow!
  • edited December 2011
    I got married in a non-denominational campus chapel and it was recognized by the church. Our deacon got us a dispensation and worked with the Newman Center (they were in charge of all Catholic goings-on at the chapel). You might want to check with your college campus and see who exactly is in charge there and have your priest work with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards