North Carolina-Outer Banks

Intimate wedding in OBX...I need HELP PLEASE!!!!

My fiance and I would love to get married on a pier or on a deck in OBX but would like to keep the cost low, if possible.  (We can't get married on the actual beach since my brother is in a wheelchair and he is in the wedding.)  We are only having about 40 people (including wedding party) attend.  We are more interested in having a dinner somewhere afterwards and not an entire reception since we are having a reception at home when we return.  Any help would be so greatly appreciated!  We would also like to know of a hotel(s) that are pretty nice but cost effective for our guests.  Even if the only recommendation you can give is where NOT to go...that would be helpful too!  Thanks a bunch everyone!!!!!

Re: Intimate wedding in OBX...I need HELP PLEASE!!!!

• You can rent beach wheel chairs, I am getting one for our ceremony.
  • Hi- we are getting married at the Sanderling, under their elopement package. The max you can have for that is 40 people, the package includes cake, flowers and officiant. They have several different ceremony locations you can pick from, we chose the beach, but they have several that aren't actually on the beach. They will also give you a discount on rooms there, When we compared the room price at the Sanderling to other hotels in the Corolla/Duck area, the price was actually cheaper. Let me know if you are interested, and I can give you more details. Regardless, I would suggest to pick a day during the week, and not during "prime" time to save on costs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Philly gave some great advice!  I am soooo excited for you and Kelly and can't wait to see your wedding at The Sanderling! :)

You could also rent a beach home for the week and have your ceremony on the back deck, but the trick is finding a home that will allow 40 people.  The rule of thumb is this:  you are allowed to have as many guests at the house that the house will actually sleep.  So, if you have an 8BR house that sleeps 20 people, then you are allowed to have 20 people there.  If you go above that, then you would have to pay what they call an event fee, which can get pretty pricey.  I think in your case though, since you are only having the ceremony at the house, which will last about 20 minutes or so, you would be fine with any size home you rent since everything will happen so quickly.  The rental companies do not drive by each house and do a head count, so you should be fine. 

If I were in your shoes, I would probably rent a large oceanfront home and just have a quick ceremony on the deck or pool area and then head off to dinner.  Depending on where you stay in OBX, will help you determine a restaurant.  If you are staying up north in Duck, you may not want to drive 30 minutes to S. Nags Head or even Manteo for dinner.  Aqua S is a very popular soundfront (spectacular sunsets and great photo opp!!) restaurant in Duck and a few of us have used them for various events. 

First, I would determine if you want to have your ceremony at an actual venue vs. a beach home and then start your search.  Once you have determined the location, then you can branch out into looking at restaurants.  I had my rehearsal dinner at Pamlico Jacks on the soundfront and we had the entire upstairs room to ourselves with these massive picture windows so you could see the sunset and it was amazing!  The food was delicious and the staff took care of everything for us!  We had about 48 people at our RD, so you should be go to go if you are interested--they are in Nags Head at MP 16 btw.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out!

Congrats and Happy Planning :)

• Maybe look at Jennette's Pier - I don't know what the cost is for rental but I know it's a beautiful spot!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_intimate-wedding-in-obxi-need-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:0dd4fcc4-99a1-49e9-bbf0-8ba508174d12Post:8fd32b65-bcd0-46f3-9348-dc0885826320">Re: Intimate wedding in OBX...I need HELP PLEASE!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe look at Jennette's Pier - I don't know what the cost is for rental but I know it's a beautiful spot!
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh....just a measley $3,500 and that's only for a weekday price.  I think a Friday or Sat is $4,500!!! 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_intimate-wedding-in-obxi-need-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:0dd4fcc4-99a1-49e9-bbf0-8ba508174d12Post:eb69df75-7f78-4648-a9e8-750f03a880d4">Re: Intimate wedding in OBX...I need HELP PLEASE!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong><u>Philly gave some great advice!  I am soooo excited for you and Kelly and can't wait to see your wedding at The Sanderling! :)</u></strong> You could also rent a beach home for the week and have your ceremony on the back deck, but the trick is finding a home that will allow 40 people.  The rule of thumb is this:  you are allowed to have as many guests at the house that the house will actually sleep.  So, if you have an 8BR house that sleeps 20 people, then you are allowed to have 20 people there.  If you go above that, then you would have to pay what they call an event fee, which can get pretty pricey.  I think in your case though, since you are only having the ceremony at the house, which will last about 20 minutes or so, you would be fine with any size home you rent since everything will happen so quickly.  The rental companies do not drive by each house and do a head count, so you should be fine.  If I were in your shoes, I would probably rent a large oceanfront home and just have a quick ceremony on the deck or pool area and then head off to dinner.  Depending on where you stay in OBX, will help you determine a restaurant.  If you are staying up north in Duck, you may not want to drive 30 minutes to S. Nags Head or even Manteo for dinner.  Aqua S is a very popular soundfront (spectacular sunsets and great photo opp!!) restaurant in Duck and a few of us have used them for various events.  First, I would determine if you want to have your ceremony at an actual venue vs. a beach home and then start your search.  Once you have determined the location, then you can branch out into looking at restaurants.  I had my rehearsal dinner at Pamlico Jacks on the soundfront and we had the entire upstairs room to ourselves with these massive picture windows so you could see the sunset and it was amazing!  The food was delicious and the staff took care of everything for us!  We had about 48 people at our RD, so you should be go to go if you are interested--they are in Nags Head at MP 16 btw. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out! Congrats and Happy Planning :)
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]

I love the power that I have even when it's my fiance that is giving the advice! :-)  Thanks OBX! :-)  Oh, and we can't wait for our big day either!  I get butterflies just THINKING about it!  98 days away and they are going soooooo slooooooow.....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oops!  I didn't even realize it was Kelly originally replying....you guys are always "one" to me ;)

• We kept costs low by getting a beach house and having the wedding right there.  We also got a discount for using the same caterer for the rehearsal and the wedding-Red Sky Cafe. 

We also used a very economical DJ/Photographer pair.  The DJ services were awseoms and even included violin playing for the ceremony.  The husband of the DJ/violinist is the photographer, and is wonderful as well.  Our day was so much fun, and our pictures show every detail from getting dressed right through the very last dance.  It was awesome!  We used Artz Music and photography.

Maggi at Harris Teeter did the flowers, great savings, and lovely bouquets.

OAR event rentals was great as well, and had decent prices.  

We had 40 people also and when all was said and done-we came in under budget!  A great place to be!
  • Congratulations!  How about the Whalehead Club in Corolla?  I just got married there because I have a grandmother that can't get around very well and I needed somewhere we could push a wheelchair.  It is absolutely beautiful.  The package we had was only $500, they have some that are much more expensive though.  I can give you more information if you are interested. 
    May 25, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_intimate-wedding-in-obxi-need-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:0dd4fcc4-99a1-49e9-bbf0-8ba508174d12Post:9da1704a-9d9a-4944-b9ac-6ff8fbb2ac6d">Re: Intimate wedding in OBX...I need HELP PLEASE!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations!  How about the Whalehead Club in Corolla?  I just got married there because I have a grandmother that can't get around very well and I needed somewhere we could push a wheelchair.  It is absolutely beautiful.  The package we had was only $500, they have some that are much more expensive though.  I can give you more information if you are interested. 
    Posted by branfrog1[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the recommendation!  Did you like your photographer?  If so, who did you use?
  • It's a little late for me to do this, but I think my sisters going for it.  There's a photographer offering free wedding photography because he's looking to build up his work.  IDK, it may be worth a try. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_intimate-wedding-in-obxi-need-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:0dd4fcc4-99a1-49e9-bbf0-8ba508174d12Post:b22cc238-2359-4cce-bc09-e4d563d53a33">Re: Intimate wedding in OBX...I need HELP PLEASE!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate wedding in OBX...I need HELP PLEASE!!!! : Thanks so much for the recommendation!  Did you like your photographer?  If so, who did you use?
    Posted by NATTYBO0016[/QUOTE]

I loved our photographer and would highly recommend him.  Jason with Keeler and Denson Photography was awesome!  Here is a link to our pictures if you want to check them out.
    <a href="http://photos.kndprophoto.com/brandyandstephen/" target="_blank" class="zUrl" rel="nofollow">http://photos.kndprophoto.com/brandyandstephen/</a>.  Let me know if you have any other questions. 
    May 25, 2012
  • Hello fellow knotties! 

My fiance Dave and I have entered a contest for free wedding photography and the contest ends on Sept 1st!  Please, if you have a few seconds, click on the link and just hit 'like' to the right of our photo.  If you have a few extra minutes, you can read our story!  Thank you so much for your help with this!  We are financing the wedding on our own and really would love this dream to come true! 

http://blueskyphotographyny.com/blog/natalie-r-bel-air-md/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards