New Hampshire

PSA: Two bridal salons for same gown - BIG $$ difference

OK, for any brides-to-be that haven't already purchased your gown, I just have to share this with you.....I am shocked over the difference in prices for the exact same gown between two bridal salons. 

In August, tried on "the dress" at Modern Bride and Formal Shop in Bedford, (www.modernbrideshop.com).  Their attendant (Courtney) was very helpful. 
In October, went to a bridal show and was given a coupon for 15% off the purchase of a gown at 125 Bridal Boutique in Plaistow, NH.  Since they carried the same designers, decided to go there and see if the dress was any less expensive.  Here's the comparison:

Modern Bride =$560, less 10% Thanksgivng annual sale discount = $504, which includes bustle and pressing.  If you don't need the alterations package, the discount is 25% instead of 10%, but only through this Sunday.

125 Bridal Boutique = $765, less 15% with coupon (but only if you buy dress on your first visit) = $650.25, (no alternations included).  If you don't buy on your first visit, price is $765.

$765-$560 = savings of $205 (regular prices) WINNER=Modern Bride!! 37% savings
Using discounts....
$650.25-$504 = savings of $146.25 (actually more because of alterations pkg.)
WINNER=Still Modern Bride!!  29% savings

For those who are interested---the once-a-year sale at Modern Bride runs through Sunday, they are open 10-4 Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 
They let me go ahead and place an order today at the sale price, (with a credit card and full payment), since I knew exactly the dress to order. 

September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
imageimage
Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
Anniversary

Re: PSA: Two bridal salons for same gown - BIG $$ difference

• auntykarebearauntykarebear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Modern Bride is the BEST! Got my dress there and the service was so top notch! Nothing but awesome things to say about them! 
  • edited December 2011
    I went to 125 Bridal for my dress and I found "the dress" on the first visit! I wanted to check out Modern Bridal but I live in Florida but was shopping back home for a dress so I was pressed for time! That is awesome you got discounts! I didn't get anything off of my dress. I now wish I shopped around a little more, but I felt pressured for time since they told me it would take 7 months for my dress to come in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Robin...I felt like the Sales person at 125 Bridal was trying to pressure me also, but I held my ground and didn't cave in.  I explained to her that it was "THE SAME" dress and I couldn't think of ANY reason that I would pay so much more for the exact same dress.  Then she tried to give me some line about how the other dress shop could get in a lot of trouble if they sell dresses below the MSRP, (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price).....yeah, right.  Lots of things come with a suggested price on the tag, but that doesn't mean that is what you pay for it.....that is not the 'wholesale' price.  Then she tried to say that I could buy "that" dress....today, (instead of ordering it), and I asked her if the floor sample was any chaper and she said 'no'---so what would the advantage be to that?  Afterall, it had been tried on before and I didn't need the dress until next September.  Really a bad sales attempt.....bottom line.....shop around and compare prices.  Try not to be lured in to buy a dress on your first trip.
    imageimage
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

The day I went to try on dresses was just to see if I could find a style that I liked and I didn't intend to find a dress that I loved. It was hard because my mom wanted me to get a dress when she was going to be with me and I wasn't going to be back in the NH area until January which would be too short to order a dress! It was a tough situation but I am glad I got the dress that I love even if I could have found a better price. 125 did work with me for a payment plan and they also offer up to 10% off the dress price to be put towards accessories and they offer a discount for my bridal party if we get their dresses from there as well.

Now that you bring it up though, I wonder if I could cancel my dress order and see if modern bridal has it...

• edited December 2011
    125 Bridal is owned by Madeline's Daughter in Portsmouth and MD is known for being more pricey than most places. So that doesn't surprise me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Robin, since you've already ordered your gown, I doubt that they would let you cancel.  Also not sure how long you have until you need your gown (don't know your date).  I just wanted to share this experience with anyone who hasn't already purchased their gown.  If you wanted, and knew the designer, style #, etc. you could call Modern Bride and see what their price is for the same dress---but then again, that might make you feel bad, (and that was not my intent). If you love your dress and already have it on order---then just be happy with it.

However, even with a 10% discount at 125 Bridal....you still might want to check the prices on BM dresses at the Modern Bride when you are back in NH....they had a pretty good selection and we plan to go back there to find BM dresses after the holidays are over.
    imageimage
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I was thinking about going there for BM dresses but Modern Bridal is about 45 min away from my hometown and 125 is 5 min away. I guess its just a matter of convenience. But thank you for the info! If I lived back in the area I would have deff shopped around a little but living 1500 miles away makes planning the wedding so much more difficult!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards