Maine

Hair Stress!!!

hcorr34hcorr34 member
First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
This morning, I went to the salon I booked to pay the balance and schedule a trial.  Sadly, I was informed that they are closing and won't be open for my wedding next month.

I'm now back to square one and slightly stressing about it.  Most places here in the Portland area are SOOOOOOOO expensive.  I did so much searching before I found this place.  They gave me a few referrals, but nothing comes close to their $65 for hair and makeup! 

If anyone has any suggestions in the Portland area that are close to that price for both hair and makeup, I welcome the referrals!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Hair Stress!!!

• jelenybeanyjelenybeany member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're getting married in the Portland area, my friend might be able to help you out. She's doing my hair and make up and she's phenomenal. She's a make up artist at MAC at the mall, and a cosmotologist. She's not someone who just does it on the side. What time of day would you need to get ready? Saturdays are usually super busy for her, but I will totally ask her if you're interested.
  • britthall06britthall06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Holly, I wish I could help you! Definitely look for people like jelenybeany's friend, you may have a hard time getting into a salon now and wind up paying a ridiculous amount of money. People who don't work in a salon will more likely be available on Saturdays and you can usually negotiate a lower price since the won't be giving up half of the what they get. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    The girl I'm using lives in central Maine but will travel for $0.51/ mile, so it would be like an extra $100.00.  hHr rates are $20.00 for straightening, $25.00 for curling and $35.00 for updos.  I don't think she does amke-up though. Her name is Brooke and she works at the Generations salon in Newport.
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks.  Jelenybeany, I'm guessing your friend is a one-woman-show?  Since I have 2 needing just hair, 2 needing just makeup, and 2 needing both hair and makeup (that includes me), I pretty much need to find a team of people or we'll have to start before 6 in the morning to be done by noon. 

I'm so frustrated.  I had a whole list of things I needed to get done today after Eric's pre-school graduation ceremony and instead I've been sitting here with my computer, phone, and phone book making no progress at all.
    edited December 2011
    she is a one man show, but she might have some cosmotologist buddies who may be available. i can ask her about it and let you know :-)
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    I think I found a place (phew!).  One of the girls from the salon I was going to is moving to this salon soon.  They do hair and makeup and their prices are pretty comparable!  
    edited December 2011
    thank goodness! let me know if anything changes.

meant to ask: did you ever figure someone out to decorate the reception space?
  • schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

i def suggest mine, i just put up my hair trial. Her name is Heather Prejean she is a one women show as well but i photographed a wedding about a month ago that she did the hair and makeup for. She did 4 bridesmaids, the bride and mother's hair, makeup for mom, bride and 2 brides maids. She started at 8:30 for the wedding at 1:00 she was done by 12:00. She charges 30-40 on hair and between 15-30 on makeup (she uses mary kay makeup). Let me stress she is amazing!!!!!

here is her facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/On-the-Go-Hair-Designs/138581975320

• hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_hair-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:11736cce-25d4-4807-aab3-83c4c1659cf7Post:64a875cf-6e6d-40d8-ad17-fa0d0af04acd">Re: Hair Stress!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]thank goodness! let me know if anything changes. meant to ask: <strong>did you ever figure someone out to decorate the reception space?</strong>
    Posted by jelenybeany[/QUOTE]

I think FI and I figured out the chair problem (we're using the ones from his work instead of mine - he works in Portland, I don't, and they'll be free), but we haven't quite figured out the ceremony decorating piece (the reception will be done by the event coordinator at the other venue).  Another friend offered, so I might take her up on it.  I think FI and I are going out to Fort Williams today to figure a few things out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards