Maine

Help with draping please

We're renting a tent for our wedding. I'm really interested in draping the ceiling with fabric to cover up the plain ugly tent ceiling. For the poles I'm just going with plain cheap old tulle because it's $.50 a square foot at Mardens. For the ceiling though I'm struggling.

I have two questions:
Does anyone know how to drape fabric from the ceiling? I'm reading up on it online and there seems to be several schools of thought. I think I'm going to want chiffon for the ceiling, it's just awfully expensive. I have no idea how much to buy.

Or, can anyone recommend a decorator who would come to this? On other forums girls in other states have had people do this for them and include the fabric for around $100. I would have no idea where to look for someone like that.

thanks ladies.

Re: Help with draping please

• edited December 2011
    No idea how, sorry, but can the tent company recommend someone?  Or maybe they have someone on staff who could help day-of or at least give you substantial guidance?
  • HE&MEHE&ME member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a gala once and they decorated the tent ceiling with white balloons.  It was really awesome!  They had long curly ribbon on each one that came down about nine feet off the floor so they didn't interfere with people wallking, dancing, etc.  I think it would look pretty if you used balloons in your wedding colors and you probably wouldn't even need 100 of them, so it could be an inexpensive option.  Maybe you could look into the lighted balloons and intermingle them.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I have a lined ceiling but it will be done by our tent guy. Have you asked the place yet that you are renting from what they think? Maybe they offer enything like that or maybe you can strike a deal with them if they do it they could keep the fabric afterwords. Just an idea.

• jelenybeanyjelenybeany member
    edited December 2011
    I talked to the tent lady. The problem is she just does tents, tables, and chairs. When I asked her about it she said "I don't know anyone around here that does something like that...maybe in New York City?"

ridiculous. though funny.
  • edited December 2011
    Now that really is a ridiculous comment! My wedding is in Ellsworth and our tent guy does it! She should update her services :P
  • HE&MEHE&ME member
    edited December 2011
    You can also check out Alda Stich.  She's an excellent Maine florist, and her husband decorates tents.  I'm pretty sure his work is shown on her website.  His name is Bo, I do know that.   Let us know how you're coming along!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards